Wow looks well used that one, they are easy to clean up though. What colour are you going for? If my clutch starts to slip I'll be doing the same. Where did you get your fly from walker?

I bought it used lol, loads of places sell them though but not cheap!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after a good rub down with a wire brush and respray this morning this is the end result, 100 times better I can't wait to get it on, ordered some new gaskets from Toyota as well. The magnecors have also turned up. I'm still in two minds about the lightened flywheel as with labour I'm guessing it'll be around £400-£500. But here's a pic of the mani now

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, took ages to rub down, really just want to get it on now Ive heard its pretty easy for a DIY mechanic. Yeh Ive had a read up and it seems the flywheel makes a good difference but it is a lot of money as I'll have to get a garage to do it. Ah mate not good, why might you have to sell up?

Yeh the manifold isnt too bad a job mate a ratchet spanners helps a lot with some of the nuts. You'll need to get some longer vac hose and use some washers or something for the throttle cable.

I'm in the army and might be getting sent to another camp so if that happens I could have to start doing loads of miles. Plus my wife has to go back to work soon after maternity leave but her job is actually up in Nottingham so she's waiting to hear if she can just do her three months at the reading branch as we live down near Andover now :/ but if not she would have to move back up to her mums with our sons and I'd have to drive around 400 miles a weekend :(

I really don't want to sell the car and although it's more than capable of the miles it wouldn't be fair to put them all on it. It deserves to be enjoyed now and again and kept immaculate.

Ah right what size hose? Ah mate not good! One of the reasons I got rid of my type R was because of mileage, at first a full tank of fuel lasted me 5 weeks, but then I met the missus and a change of work meant I was then spending over £250 a month on petrol.

Mines looking even more immaculate now, I used a clay bar on her on Friday and the paintwork is like a mirror. Black is my favourite colour in these but God I forgot how much hard work keeping on top of black paint is lol.

I think it's on my build thread somewhere mate I can't remember off the top of my head. Got it from eBay though so will have a look if it's on my purchase history. I do have some left thought mate and you're welcome to have it- not that far away :)

Yeh I can imagine. With my gt4 I may aswell have been throwing buckets of fuel out the back ha ha. The car is capable and I've done the 185mile journey a few times in the past but I wouldn't want to have to do it every weekend it's not fair on the car. Yeh they are a sod to keep clean but when they are they're the best by far. I've got a clay bar just need to find some time to get it done nice and properly. I use waterless stuff to clean it and that's helped loads with reducing swirl and water marks

Thanks mate! I'll have a look through your thread in a min, I picked the gaskets up from Toyota today so will be fitting it next Monday probably.

I have gone and bought another car to take some of the strain and mileage away from the starlet and give me another project, it's a 1.1 mk3 fiesta and in really good nick, so so slow, the starlet feels like a veyron in comparison haha.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The starlets are pretty suprising for what they are. Both A friend with a 2ltr D insignia and a 2ltr D X1 said they were shocked when we had a little play. Also wasn't that far off a mk4 golf 4motion either. Nice little car mate I'd hang on to it as anything win a ford badge will be worth something at some point.

Yeh new gaskets are a good idea I did the same. By the way I found out today for def that I'm not moving anywhere so it means I can keep the SR :) at least for a few more months until we find out about my wife's work as that's still unknown. I doubt anyone would want to pay what I'd want for the car anyway ha ha

Edited by Pikey009

Yeh they're pretty nippy, loads of people try it on lol. Yeh that's what I'm hoping especially seeing as mk1 and 2 fiestas are now worth a few quid.

Good mate glad to hear it! Would've been a shame if you had to sell it and someone modded it to hell and ruined it and all your hard work haha.

• 3 weeks later...

So today I finally got round to giving it a really good service and fitting the Corolla inlet mani, I thought the mani was really easy to fit, it's about the adjustable spanner!

Annoyingly though after I took it for a test drive I noticed it's leaking fuel from two of the injectors, anyone else have this problem after fitting the mani?

Tomorrow I'll have a go at detailing the engine bay, through the years of hardly being driven its built up quite a lot of damp mould.

Before and after

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So, bought and fitted some new rubber O rings for the injectors from Toyota, no more leaking fuel and I can drive it again. The Corolla manifold combined with the blitz panel filter has made a nice difference right through the rev range, I also refurbished the heat shield.

Had it 7 months now, 7 months of trouble free motoring and I'm not bored of it yet. She's now on 32,331 miles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These replies have made me feel a bit better haha, it was the fact they goaded me into a race up the slip road then laughed as I slowly fell further and further behind them, if it wasn't so rare and and in such immaculate condition I prob would sell up. Great round the bends, shame about straights

Mate you should be laughing at them- they're in a boring fucking Prius that's meant to be bought to be good on fuel so why the hell do 90% of Prius owners I come across drive them like absolute pricks. We are in a very rare 1.3 and they are in a dull peace of crap- even the anniversary ones which a pointless.