Ongoing gearbox/clutch problem

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with spec clutches release bearing isnt very good but problem start when there is something wrong with the box internally. As most people use use the solid version of the clutch no springs there is no give if the bearings inside have gone and the shaft moves it will strip the clutch plates threads :)

Ok mate going to have this one rebuilt with new bearings before i put it back in but this has happened to me twice. Might just be bad luck with two dodgy gearboxes or these clutches are failing me.

Anyone else here running 300+ on a spec clutch?

I have run stock clutches on applications between 150hp-200hp with a dodgy gearbox (shaft play, crunching between 2nd,3rd & 4th gear and popping out of 5th gear) and never once have destroyed a clutch.

Spec clutches are weak regardless of what people think I have seen them fail many times on many different cars.

Cheers lads some really interesting/worrying info here as i have already purchased another spec a while ago. Might have to get rid now lol. Like the sound of the ORC but it's rather costly and how long will i have to wait for it to arrive from Japan?

Also how good are comp clutches?

Cheers lads some really interesting/worrying info here as i have already purchased another spec a while ago. Might have to get rid now lol. Like the sound of the ORC but it's rather costly and how long will i have to wait for it to arrive from Japan?

Also how good are comp clutches?

Never heard of any failing. I've ran two so far and cant complain. Apart from the usual paddle clutch downsides lil. The ORC is costly but do remember it comes with a flywheel too. Shipping is a little slow but you can pay for quicker delivery.

Never heard of any failing. I've ran two so far and cant complain. Apart from the usual paddle clutch downsides lil. The ORC is costly but do remember it comes with a flywheel too. Shipping is a little slow but you can pay for quicker delivery.

Ok mate. Where's cheapest for a comp clutch? I have not long fitted a brand new flywheel and dont really fancy the near 700 spend on the ORC lol.

Cheers

You could try the 86 mr2 paddle clutch from the USA with your pressure plate ( usa clutch comes with standard cover) As they are quite cheap and ive seen one holding 230bhp with the standard cover no problem.

Sounds cool bud. Have you got a link ?

I ran a spec 6 clutch and had all

Sorts of bother bined it now and run a Orc clutch. Ordered it on a Tuesday and it arrived by the weekend. Worth bearing in mind it is more expensive but it is a clutch and flywheel combo and the quality of the clutch is next level!

I ran a spec 6 clutch and had all

Sorts of bother bined it now and run a Orc clutch. Ordered it on a Tuesday and it arrived by the weekend. Worth bearing in mind it is more expensive but it is a clutch and flywheel combo and the quality of the clutch is next level!

Ok mate, think I'll be selling the chocolate clutch then lol. Can't believe TD use them for their builds. 😞

Sounds good. As long as im not waiting weeks and weeks.

Is this definitely the one i need? Says its for a levin.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/orc-309d-single-plate-metal-clutch-kit-ae86.html

Cheers

Mike

Same can be said for most aftermarket clutches. ACT even had the same issues as the Comps. But these were teething problems. Not ongoing issues.

Ok pal. I always thought that comp clutches were good for like boosted civics etc.is this not the case with the one for the starlet?

Thanks

Ok pal. I always thought that comp clutches were good for like boosted civics etc.is this not the case with the one for the starlet?

Thanks

I ran one in my old glanza and never had an issue. Then I fitted one to my corolla t sport. Again no issues after 30k on the corolla and 15k on the glanza. You could always play it safe and go for an Exedy 3 paddle.