Ongoing gearbox/clutch problem

Hello people. As title says, i have had a major headache with said problem for some time now. Had the glanza forged at TD a while back. When I collected the car there was a slight tapping noise on idle. I was told this was piston slap as the car was warming. I later found out this was not the case. When the clutch was disengaged the noise would stop. We put this down to excessive play in the input shaft. The inevitable happened and the splines on both the input shaft and clutch where stripped. Had the gearbox opened up and the bearings wernt great but not too bad. I purchased another box locally and another spec 6 clutch. Rebuilt the car and identical tapping noise occurred resulting to stripped input shaft and clutch hub splines again. Starting to get really expensive and annoying. Anyone came across similar damage or know anything? I can only think something is not aligned correct.

Sorry dont know how to upload pics.

Thanks

Mike

post-13554-0-42291500-1473150121_thumb.j

post-13554-0-08899900-1473150140_thumb.p

Edited by Mike-530
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure someone on here had similar issues, Not sure who though im afraid.

Also you can either upload directly if on a pc or by switching to the full version and using the more reply options, or upload to photobucket or similar and post the IMG link into your relpy and you will have the image appear in your post :)

i went through a couple of cheap release bearings fairly quick, within a 100 mile they started knocking. what bearings are you using? i opted for a blueprint one in the end and am upto 500 mile with no noise/knocking so far

Easy mate. Im using the release that comes with the spec 6 clutch. I think the noise is related to trans issues im having and im sure that this isn't the reason im stripping my input shafts and clutch lol.

Thanks for reply

Mike

Im assuming if the input shaft was stripped by the friction plate that you had to replace the input shaft when you rebuilt it?

Have you torqued on the fly wheel? it might not be sitting flush when it was re-fitted to the engine post forging.

Easy mate. Im using the release that comes with the spec 6 clutch. I think the noise is related to trans issues im having and im sure that this isn't the reason im stripping my input shafts and clutch lol.

Thanks for reply

Mike

Sorry didn't read your post properly lol

Im assuming if the input shaft was stripped by the friction plate that you had to replace the input shaft when you rebuilt it?

Have you torqued on the fly wheel? it might not be sitting flush when it was re-fitted to the engine post forging.

Yes mate, friction plate was stripped and so was the input shaft. So i replaced both cluch and brougt a new box and the same happend a month later 😞

This time round i have took the fly off and had it skimmed just to be sure. It was definitely torqued when i removed it lol.

Thanks for replying

Mike

Edited by Mike-530

Check everything properly and use a genuine toyota release bearing.

Also i have seen some members have had a few issues with the spec clutches. Sometimes the slave cylinder other times release bearing failure.

Ok bud i will bare that in mind. Could a dodgy release bearing really strip the clutch and shaft? Both of them i removed looked sound.

I have just brought another spec clutch. I didn't know these things weren't rated. What would be the best clutch for 300hp ?

Thanks

Mike

spec clutches are utter shite, not just for starlets but also for audis and evos.

stay well away from them. just check some reviews on google and see for yourself

Sound from engine, crankshaft side movement bearing clearance ok?

Not sure where the noise is from mate. All i know is that it only makes it when its idleing in neutral. Put your foot down on the cluch and the noise stops. Is there any checks i can do engine side?

Thanks

spec clutches are utter shite, not just for starlets but also for audis and evos.

stay well away from them. just check some reviews on google and see for yourself

Noo way!! Wish i knew this before. Had the whole car built at tuning developments and that is their cluch of choice (not cheap either). What other clutches are recommended for this power?

Cheers

Mike

just bite the bullet and order an ORC 309D from RHD japan or an os geiken multiplate if you can stretch your budget.

I would also stay away from competition clutches

Edited by H_D

I wouldn't say this personally, I have a SPEC 6 and had zero problems with it. It likes to judder a bit if you don't give it enough pulling away but other than that its brilliant.

I think you may have a bigger underlying issue if your engine/gearbox is eating up clutches and you're on your second one! I don't believe you could of had 2 faulty clutches in a row, plausible but not likely!

just bite the bullet and order an ORC 309D from RHD japan or an os geiken multiplate if you can stretch your budget.

I would also stay away from competition clutches

Ok buddy, I'll bare that in mind. What sort of money we talking for one of these? I thought 330 was steep for the spec lol !!

Thanks

I think you may have a bigger underlying issue if your engine/gearbox is eating up clutches and you're on your second one! I don't believe you could of had 2 faulty clutches in a row, plausible but not likely!

Definitely a underlying issue mate. Second clutch went just after i ran it in and took input shaft splines with it. Am i right in thinking the only problem it could possibly be on the engine side is crank balancing?

Thanks

Edited by Mike-530

Ok buddy, I'll bare that in mind. What sort of money we talking for one of these? I thought 330 was steep for the spec lol !!

Thanks

between £600-£1000 depending on which one you go for

Any competent engine builder will always get the crank balanced before fitting, they will also weigh your rods and pitons to ensure they are all of an equal weight. If the engine was build by TD im sure it would have been done properly

between £600-£1000 depending on which one you go for

Wow pretty steep then. And yes, your right. I have spoken to mike about it and he says it cant be balancing as it would be pretty much knackered by now lol. The motor has ran mint since I've had it back so i have been sure this isn't my problem.

Cheers for reply bud!!

had the same happen to me, and a few others i know of, waste of time and money.now using an orc309 and its great. i didnt have any noise prior to this either, stripped the splines after 900miles of running in

had the same happen to me, and a few others i know of, waste of time and money.now using an orc309 and its great. i didnt have any noise prior to this either, stripped the splines after 900miles of running in

Ok bud think i might go for it tbf. Can't believe these SPEC clutches are that bad!! Have cost me a fortune😞

Thanks

Mike