4efe SWAP to 4efte in Corolla E11 1998

7 hours ago, RoyalDutchie said:

I cannot find a link

I finally found it! The Corolla manual that costs $50 and the Russian version for the Starlet Glanza ep91 workshop manual with all the electrical witing diagrams and connectors with pin description.

my friends house Russian and this makes it easier to read it while figuring out the two sides of the loom 😂 

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/29/2021 at 11:01 AM, Claymore said:

This is turning into a clusterfuck! We'll be here until Xmas.

If your using the 4efte pump:

344151530_corolla4efepas.png.4af23402ad206a0a4b2a0004cf3e764e.png

The Corolla Power steering feed line from bottle to pump should fit the 4efte pump. The connections look the same in the pictures. No modification needed. Or make a hose. Blue circle on diagram.

The Corolla low pressure return line from the rack to the bottle. Already in place and working. no modification needed. Red outline on diagram.

The High pressure hose is the one that needs modification. Green outline.

1314302209_corolla4efepas2.png.dec110d46a67c356eb8b7c0a7f5d6d57.png

If using the corolla hose the 4efte pump fitting is different to the corolla. The 4efte pump is a banjo fitting and the corolla looks like a flare fitting. You will need an adapter on the pump to go from banjo thread to flare fitting. Grey circle on diagram

If you use the 4efte high pressure hose the pump end is good but the rack end is wrong (assuming its long enough to reach the rack). From the diagram it looks like the corolla hose at the rack end is female thread and the 4efte hose end will be a male flare. So you will need an adapter to join 4efte male hose end to the male pipe fitting on rack. Orange circles on diagram.

If you can't find an adapter you can cut the 2 hoses, use the 4efte pump end and the corolla rack end and have a hydraulic hose repair shop join the pieces together with a swaged / crimped hose repair joiner. Or have the hose shop make a custom hose for you.

The best idea is to talk to a hydraulic hose repair shop (forklift trucks etc) and show them the pump and hoses and ask them what adapter you need. I don't think anyone on this forum has done this swap before so we are all learning together and trying our best but unless we know the exact fittings then we can't suggest one. 

The whole point in using the corolla pump was because it has the idle up valve on it to stop the engine losing revs whilst steering. If you use the 4efte pump you will lose this feature as it doesn't have one.

Thank you very much. I completely agree In keeping the 4EFE pump. I already contacted a hydraulic shop. He said he should be able to swap the connectors and crimp them. The guy just told me about MECHLAB. could you please check out their website and tell me which adapter it’s good to keep the Corolla hose and screw it in the FTE pump?? This is my Plan B in case I cannot modify the Corolla pump on the FTE engine. I still don’t know how much work will have to be done to adapt the pump. 

ill be with you as soon as i can frankie. 

after being away from family and friends for so long im just concentrating on them for a few weeks. ive got 2 month off work coming up. ill be back on this as soon as i can.

its so good to be back home.   

Edited by Sam44

what i will do is to make the brackets needed to swap the e11 4efe pump onto a 4efte engine, i estimate the bracket will be ready middle of next month. 

i will then send them out to you. 

i should get chance to test fit them on a corrola 4efe. im going to collect/remove another g6 6speed box from a breakers yard soon.

Edited by Sam44
On 7/6/2021 at 3:20 PM, Sam44 said:

what i will do is to make the brackets needed to swap the e11 4efe pump onto a 4efte engine, i estimate the bracket will be ready middle of next month. 

i will then send them out to you. 

i should get chance to test fit them on a corrola 4efe. im going to collect/remove another g6 6speed box from a breakers yard soon.

Thank you for offering me this solution !

Give me a few days so I can get the 4EFE out of the Corolla. I will check the two pumps. I have a friend who can swap the connections and this means I can keep the original pump and connect them to the Corolla pipes. If this will not work then yes I will be happy to use your bracket.

I will update you soon. 

So far I have changed some gaskets. I changed the water pump, the belts and timing belt. Brand new sparks. I change the oil filter and fuel filter. I also changed the thermostat. 
I need some help because I am about to swap the loom. Which method do you suggest? I have the Glanza engine bay loom to be compared ro the Corolla. I started with a tester to find the wires from each connector to the main connector that goes to the cabin. I need to do this because they are different. This means that I will have to change the pins in the four connectors that goes from the Starlet loom into the cabin. I’m talking about the loom that goes through the fuse box. So I will use the full engine bay fuse box from the Starlet and adapted to the cabin connectors in the Corolla. 
The second step is adopting the ECU loom because it’s a bit too short. It’s a ride to drive and the ECU and the starlet is sitting on the left side of the car. The Corolla ECU is underneath the central panel. This might be a problem because I would have to adopt every wire to reach the proper area. 
The White and blue connectors that reach out from the ECU loom Connect to the cabin panel but I still have to figure this out. I will have to do the same thing and find one by one every wire and match it to the Corolla cabin connections. I found the manuals of both cars but they do not show either the four connectors colors and function on the fuse box loom. I need to know what the pins in the white and blue ECU loom are.

I hope that someone can help. 

8C2DC5E4-D3DB-4ED0-9521-B84BF3243FF3.thumb.jpeg.d21f288b2fbfa4f69829d975fcbbea06.jpeg
B14AD1E9-40C6-4FC3-A05B-1E4F87E986D4.thumb.jpeg.21dc5c0358ec295f9078f274a5b559d3.jpeg

1606D5A8-AF51-4853-AC13-77489ADC9809.thumb.jpeg.a56085a081ba12198fcc819aa76cdc7b.jpeg92CED92C-6A0D-4DAE-8633-C87BBFD19E22.thumb.jpeg.ff5e31d0759ca9e287d4829ae25c3710.jpegHere we are fi ally doing the Swap of my life. I’ll poat alle the pics when I’m done. 
so far I can confirm that the Corolla vs Glanza V AC are not interchangeable. The wheels have different wheels alignment.  No way it’ll work.
We to swaped the steering pump wheels, together with the entire steering pumps but it didn’t work. Not because they have different distances between engine bolt holes., but because the fte pump support at its minimum regulation wheel doesn’t allow the belt to be tightened. The two engines have diffefent pattern and width) and the diametrers are different.

the only way to proceed is to keep everything that belongs to the fte and swap steering pumps pipe connectors. I’ll do it on Monday. I’ll keep the Corolla pump pipe amd hope that the fte AC will work with the blend between Glanza engine bay loom, ecu  and the Corolla cabin loom. We are matching the entire loom, wire by wire using a tester.  We’ll zompare the looms and  match all se can adapting the right drive Glanza to the central position ECY in the Corolla.

we noticed that the the airbag sensors are independent from the rest of the loom. It means that we’ll keep it. 

MAIN ISSUE

Will the LAMBDA in the Corolla work with the Glanza ECU? and fuse box?

63CCDB3A-3103-43CD-AC6C-79CC0312DEB1.jpeg

A234EA93-36E3-4B3A-98BA-B1DE67E73EF8.jpeg

Edited by Frankieflowers

i wouldnt think so, the 4efte lamba sensor is a 1 wire sensor and the corrola is a 4 wire heated unit. the problem here will be the engine fuse box/engine loom from the 4efte should not support the e11 heated part of its lamba sensor.  

that 4efte engine looks super clean. 

keep up the great work. looking mega impressive.  

Edited by Sam44

how are the wire colour codes matching up. 

the uk starlet and corrola loom/harness wire colour coding is different to the jdm colours for the same wires through out the entire cars. making matching wires that bit harder to do.  

2 hours ago, Sam44 said:

i wouldnt think so, the 4efte lamba sensor is a 1 wire sensor and the corrola is a 4 wire heated unit. the problem here will be the engine fuse box/engine loom from the 4efte should not support the e11 heated part of its lamba sensor.  

that 4efte engine looks super clean. 

keep up the great work. looking mega impressive.  

Thank you!

so I should put the 4efte lambda in the Corolla exhaust?

2 hours ago, Sam44 said:

how are the wire colour codes matching up. 

the uk starlet and corrola loom/harness wire colour coding is different to the jdm colours for the same wires through out the entire cars. making matching wires that bit harder to do.  

I have the entire loom from the Starlet cabin and the engine bay. My goal is to match the Corolla cabin loom to the Starlet engine bay loom and ECU. 

What is the easiest way to match the FTE engine loom and ECU canin/cabin fuses connectors to the Corolla cabin loom?

Mu guy analyzed witg a tester wire by wire every connector in and out through the engine bay fuse box loom. He labeled them tomorrow he will do the same with the Corolla engine bay loom. We’ll match them all and supposly every ECU information will be trasfered tochis destination. Meaning the lights, sensors through the fuse boxes and directly from A to B points. There is no other logical way to do it. The only plug and play possible withh probably be the front and rear connectors (lights etc). We’ll re-pin every Corolla connector tocmatch its female. . 

yeh agreed, some times you can get lucky and the wires color match so earthing is easy to pin point engine sensor earthing is, engine 12v high amp, sensor low voltage/amp supply and engine sensing/so on. makes it a heck of alot easier but for some reason jdm run different color codes!! 

looking cool as hell. loving this build. going to be 1 hell of a car. 

looking at the engine its off a later glanza v auto. 

(better ecu, ct9b better turbo,)

Edited by Sam44

D5EBB360-A38F-4144-BBB3-5AA70341FF73.thumb.jpeg.5553f4c67a01b185c06beab8900b8318.jpeg8E671B7D-D260-4405-8A69-D0550601ECE7.thumb.jpeg.4eeb9660df796011c4c1c03a1ee30d5e.jpegEBC6B372-5E10-41BB-BB17-55EE3A953A67.thumb.jpeg.f258beafaaf1a04c29de300de5b057f3.jpegToday we tested the pipes that I will bring to the hydraulic shop to get the connectors swapped. We’re gonna swap the gearbox and wait until the loom os ready. Wires from both cars have been compared and we decided to keep the engine bay Corolla loom and add the Starlet ECU loom to the Corolla fuse box. Seems smarter. 

1 hour ago, candy_red said:

wow so much room in the corolla!!!

Good progress man, keep it coming.

A lot of work but fun. My research goes back over a year. 

I don’t have the downpipe with Cat on the fte. I need to buy a Oxygen temp sensor 89465-10020 and put it in the custom downpipe that goes to my Corolla cat. Could you please tell me which sensor I should buy? The original DENSO Costs $170. Is it possible to buy a generic cheaper one? I found a few for 30 bucks but I want to be sure.

10 hours ago, Sam44 said:

yeh ill get that for you today. 

ive also recently got some free time on my hands for the next 10days. so ill get back into them wiring diagrams. 

We are tearing apart both rooms to make one from the Corolla that will include Starlet ECU loom. Fuse box in and out wires taks time to organize. Let me know if you can help with colors and connectors.