4efe SWAP to 4efte in Corolla E11 1998

im loving this. a great bunch of lads. i hope you are able to follow this. yeh you have a auto. 

this is really good news. apart from needing a flywheel to fit the E series crank and the 212mm 4efte/other toyota clutch. 

the auto ems/ecu is alot more advanced and uses a potentiometer on the throttle tps, from what im told these produce a really nice smooth power curve.

from what im told i believe lukep on here was one of the first to do an auto conversion. message him for adivce.    

Edited by Sam44
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, RoyalDutchie said:

90105-10138 x6 for the bolts

13405-11060 For 4efte flywheel

It is a good practice to replace the flywheel bolts. They cost around 1 euro depending on your Toyota dealer.

The clutch you have won't fit the 4efe flywheel 200mm not compatible with 212mm clutch

Thank you. Can you find me a flywheel and ship it to Milan? I only found one from a British shop and it’s insane insane price. Only bolts or like €50. The flywheel €200 and I don’t know why their shipment is 100 euros. I hope that someone can help me to buy bolts and 4efte flywheel. 

8 hours ago, Claymore said:

Which pump are you going to use the glanza one or the corolla one?

The first idea was to keep the Corolla steering pump and try that mechanic adaption with a metal plate with a bolt welded. I asked for a drawing with measures or photo photo with measures to replicate it but my mechanic doesn’t feel safe with that. I need to use the car so I’m not gonna start to swap until I am sure that these main elements will work. So I thought about the pipes and to keep the 4EFTE steering pump. But the pumps are different and I don’t know how to adapt the Corolla pipe in the Starlet pump. Do you have an example of adapter I can buy for the high pressure insert?

C6B3AE9D-2070-4B4D-9788-831848CD058E.thumb.jpeg.7b228c442af154e3872af7fe1d2b8bba.jpeg

BEEBA37B-215E-4776-9638-016ECD72D03E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Frankieflowers said:

Thank you. Can you find me a flywheel and ship it to Milan? I only found one from a British shop and it’s insane insane price. Only bolts or like €50. The flywheel €200 and I don’t know why their shipment is 100 euros. I hope that someone can help me to buy bolts and 4efte flywheel. 

Idworkz quotes about 350 imported to Italy. I think the flywheel isn't going to get cheaper than 200 euros ex vat and customs new. Only second hand could get you a cheaper flywheel. 

An option is to sell your current clutch(and accept the amount of euros you lose instead of buying a new flywheel), and try to get a uprate clutch for the 200mm flywheel of the corolla. Something like a stage 1 organic clutch which can handle 200nm which is plenty. @Sam44 Has some experience with uprated 4efe clutches if I'm correct?

You will need to get your flywheel resurfaced if you go second hand or use your current one in most cases.

Edited by RoyalDutchie
3 hours ago, RoyalDutchie said:

You will need to get your flywheel resurfaced if you go second hand or use your current one in most cases.

I found it second hand for €128 (included shipment) but you’re telling me it has to be resurfaced? I would ise it with the new 212 mm clutch I have here. Do you mean it wouldn’t work well? I can spend €240 buying new OEM from Japan and it’ll include the bolts. I’ll buy it new if used won’t work. @Sam44let me know what you think. If I’ll buy it new I will return the 212 mm Blue Print clutch I bought in Milan. 

Edited by Frankieflowers

Here’s my major concern. 
I have the 1998 4EFE Corolla on one side and I have th 4efte ep91 automatic on the other. Both with air conditioning the Starlet with ABS. The Corolla E11 not. I have the uncut inside loom and the uncut fuse box engine bay loom and of course the ECU with loom from the Starlet. 
I have spoken to a lot of people and have read tons of threads of people who did it this way or that way. All I want is to know the fastest way to do it without keeping the car sitting there too long. Besides a few issues with the engine mechanics that are the steering pump connections to keep the 4efte pump in place without cutting and welding and the front  intercooler that has no space whatsoever. I’ll figure that out after I swap. I asked some guys on Facebook to send me pictures from their Corolla E11 4efte conversions to see what they did with the steering pump and AC connection. The biggest concern is the loom. Which tested procedure should I go with? @Sam44

ill send you that info very sson, ive been speaking with a lad that has converted 2x ae101 corollas. over the past couple of days . you can do a really nice and neat swap.

are you wanting to use the 4efte original exhaust catalytic converter. this will be a problem with the front gearbox mount. 

the abs will not be a problem. and looking at the ac pumps and power steering it looks like they should just swap over. (4efte pipes into the e11 steering rack, the only ? here is the lenght, and e11 ac pipes into the 4efte pump, the pump off the e11 looks like it might swap over onto the 4efte also. if you could send me pictures of the 4efte and e11 ac pumps at different angles. also measure with string your power steering pipes on both from the steering rack and to and from the pump and bottle.  

im going to look at a e11 4efe in the breaker yard soon to get some pictures. 

the wiring is looking quite easy to.   

Edited by Sam44
1 hour ago, Sam44 said:

m going to look at a e11 4efe in the breaker yard soon to get some pictures. 

Yes because the problem is that I didn’t tear apart the Corolla that I use every day. I am trying to be sure that wiring and mechanic steps are at point. 
The air conditioning is less than an issue because I think that I can swap them but the steering pump is important. Remember when we spoke about keeping the Corolla pump but needing to make a metal plate for the higher end bolt distance? That is something that I wanted to avoid and this is why I tried to keep the Corolla pipes and go in the FTE pump. Is there anyway to use 1A7BEB41-258A-4620-B857-9263358447C5.thumb.jpeg.32997ebd7cc492a43e4050aba7c34244.jpegF22C68FF-1AC4-4342-91AE-436EFA2879CA.thumb.jpeg.c8f7de7233b559aad534425287fc7d78.jpegconnector adapters for the pipes. The high-pressure pipe needs a complete different adapter as you can see from the picture. 

12 hours ago, Frankieflowers said:

The first idea was to keep the Corolla steering pump and try that mechanic adaption with a metal plate with a bolt welded. I asked for a drawing with measures or photo photo with measures to replicate it but my mechanic doesn’t feel safe with that. I need to use the car so I’m not gonna start to swap until I am sure that these main elements will work. So I thought about the pipes and to keep the 4EFTE steering pump. But the pumps are different and I don’t know how to adapt the Corolla pipe in the Starlet pump. Do you have an example of adapter I can buy for the high pressure insert?

Yes because the problem is that I didn’t tear apart the Corolla that I use every day. I am trying to be sure that wiring and mechanic steps are at point. 
The air conditioning is less than an issue because I think that I can swap them but the steering pump is important. Remember when we spoke about keeping the Corolla pump but needing to make a metal plate for the higher end bolt distance? That is something that I wanted to avoid and this is why I tried to keep the Corolla pipes and go in the FTE pump. Is there anyway to use 1A7BEB41-258A-4620-B857-9263358447C5.thumb.jpeg.32997ebd7cc492a43e4050aba7c34244.jpegF22C68FF-1AC4-4342-91AE-436EFA2879CA.thumb.jpeg.c8f7de7233b559aad534425287fc7d78.jpegconnector adapters for the pipes. The high-pressure pipe needs a complete different adapter as you can see from the picture. 

This is turning into a clusterfuck! We'll be here until Xmas.

If your using the 4efte pump:

344151530_corolla4efepas.png.4af23402ad206a0a4b2a0004cf3e764e.png

The Corolla Power steering feed line from bottle to pump should fit the 4efte pump. The connections look the same in the pictures. No modification needed. Or make a hose. Blue circle on diagram.

The Corolla low pressure return line from the rack to the bottle. Already in place and working. no modification needed. Red outline on diagram.

The High pressure hose is the one that needs modification. Green outline.

1314302209_corolla4efepas2.png.dec110d46a67c356eb8b7c0a7f5d6d57.png

If using the corolla hose the 4efte pump fitting is different to the corolla. The 4efte pump is a banjo fitting and the corolla looks like a flare fitting. You will need an adapter on the pump to go from banjo thread to flare fitting. Grey circle on diagram

If you use the 4efte high pressure hose the pump end is good but the rack end is wrong (assuming its long enough to reach the rack). From the diagram it looks like the corolla hose at the rack end is female thread and the 4efte hose end will be a male flare. So you will need an adapter to join 4efte male hose end to the male pipe fitting on rack. Orange circles on diagram.

If you can't find an adapter you can cut the 2 hoses, use the 4efte pump end and the corolla rack end and have a hydraulic hose repair shop join the pieces together with a swaged / crimped hose repair joiner. Or have the hose shop make a custom hose for you.

The best idea is to talk to a hydraulic hose repair shop (forklift trucks etc) and show them the pump and hoses and ask them what adapter you need. I don't think anyone on this forum has done this swap before so we are all learning together and trying our best but unless we know the exact fittings then we can't suggest one. 

The whole point in using the corolla pump was because it has the idle up valve on it to stop the engine losing revs whilst steering. If you use the 4efte pump you will lose this feature as it doesn't have one.

Edited by Claymore
2 hours ago, Frankieflowers said:

@RoyalDutchie@Sam44 do you guys have flywhell bolts measures? 
an example in the picture. This way I can ask the guy I know here to avoid shipment expenses from Japan. Thanks!AF18906E-C35B-430D-A5A8-D7464B27E5B3.thumb.jpeg.676ebb20fc50d19ebd79d82b128f5b6a.jpeg

No measurements, but just like Jay wrote, only genuine ones(and arp ones) should be used with the right threadlock(I think it is blue). Toyota specifically developed bolts for the flywheel to prevent it from coming lose ones installed correctly. I wouldn't trust anything else to do the job and risk a failure.

@RoyalDutchieYpu confirm that the 90105-10138 is a set of 6?

You need to buy 6 of them, Toyota sells them individually.

On 6/29/2021 at 12:48 PM, RoyalDutchie said:

No measurements, but just like Jay wrote, only genuine ones(and arp ones) should be used with the right threadlock(I think it is blue). Toyota specifically developed bolts for the flywheel to prevent it from coming lose ones installed correctly. I wouldn't trust anything else to do the job and risk a failure.

You need to buy 6 of them, Toyota sells them individually.

I bought six of them. Thank you

On 6/29/2021 at 3:53 PM, Sam44 said:

i will do the drawing now for you. for the corrola power steering pump/bracket

Thank you. If you could find the fuse blox connectors loose map with the connectors photos it would be amazing. It’s the 1.3 4efe 1998 Corolla E11. I cannot find it anywhere. Of course only the diagrams and fuse and reley list. 

My concern is that the 4 glanza fuse box loom connectors that get into the cabin match the Corolla connectors. I have the ep82 connector siagram with pics and more, I don’t have it for the Corolla. 

EP82 connectors loom diagram

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/wiki/EP82wiring/EP82 Starlet Wiring and Connectors.pdf

Corolla E11 4efe workshop

http://toyota.aitnet.org/Toyota/Corolla/Corolla_E11_Haynes_Workshop_Manual.pdf

I need to be sure the pins and wires are matching. Any Corolla fuse box engine bay and cabin loom diagram with connectors pictures?

On 7/1/2021 at 10:16 AM, Frankieflowers said:

My concern is that the 4 glanza fuse box loom connectors that get into the cabin match the Corolla connectors. I have the ep82 connector siagram with pics and more, I don’t have it for the Corolla. 

EP82 connectors loom diagram

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/wiki/EP82wiring/EP82 Starlet Wiring and Connectors.pdf

Corolla E11 4efe workshop

http://toyota.aitnet.org/Toyota/Corolla/Corolla_E11_Haynes_Workshop_Manual.pdf

I need to be sure the pins and wires are matching. Any Corolla fuse box engine bay and cabin loom diagram with connectors pictures?

@Sam44@Claymore@RoyalDutchie

Hi guys.

Do you think you can help me find a connector map with pin description like the one linked above for the COROLLA E11 4efe 1.3? I need to match the 4efte ep91 glanza engine bay loom from with the cabin bay fuse box Corolla E11 females panel. I found one for the ECU but it’s not enough.

hope you can help