4efe SWAP to 4efte in Corolla E11 1998

its a shame to get rid of your wiring harness and ecu, a piggy back will adapt but you could save money here definitely, the good news here is i would buy the ecu and engine loom from you with your oil pump with sensor and coil packs.

i think the sump hes talking about is the mk1&mk2 gt the later 98 glanza 4efte sump looks to be the same as the e11 just with out the turbo oil drain back pipe.  

Edited by Sam44
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Frankieflowers said:

@Sam44 @Claymore 

Found this great guy from Greece who owns a Turborolla (4efte swap) he built in 2015.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wgxyvdq/

Here’s what he told me.

“The 4efte has the same mounts as the 4efe so it doesn’t need anything else. You can keep your gearbox but it's wise to get the turbo version from the Starlet.

Also you'll need the ECU and the original wiring. The tricky part here is to match your wiring with the original. 

*Bonus tip. Swap the 4efe oil pan with the 4efte so you have better clearance for the exhaust. 

Some upgrades that might help you are to get rid of the stock intercooler and put a front mount one and a catback exhaust. With these minor upgrades the engine will produce roughly 150bhp.

I kept the Corolla steering pump but I used the starlet bracket. I don't know if the stock downpipe hits the front mount, it might, I right away installed a custom downpipe and full exhaust that a friend of mine helped me fabricate. .

I kept the Corolla original oil pipes.

You must get the steering pump brackets from the Starlet that will fit the Corolla A/C pump. Otherwise the turbocharger will hit the pump with the original Corolla brackets”.

Good find Frankie.

Maybe ask for some pictures of the brackets.

The wiring may be a challenge. Glanza ECU uses 3 plugs, the corolla only has 2 plugs. The starlet 4efe and starlet gt turbo only have 2 plug ecu's as well. Might not fit each other.

Not sure how the immobiliser system works on the corolla either. Something for you to research.

Edited by Claymore

claymore has done some stella research and  found that the Greddy Emanage blue piggy back controller will probably be the best option to run the e11 ignition system with this you will need the additional wiring harness, a 3bar map sensor and a 4efte map sensor in place of your e11 4efe map sensor. 

these are a common piggy back in the uk with lots of mappers able to install it and map it in. 

this will be required for you to hit 190hp anyaway this will save you having to install the 4efte loom and ecu. 

1 hour ago, Sam44 said:

claymore has done some stella research and  found that the Greddy Emanage blue piggy back controller will probably be the best option to run the e11 ignition system with this you will need the additional wiring harness, a 3bar map sensor and a 4efte map sensor in place of your e11 4efe map sensor. 

these are a common piggy back in the uk with lots of mappers able to install it and map it in. 

this will be required for you to hit 190hp anyaway this will save you having to install the 4efte loom and ecu. 

I wouldn't call it researched, I've only checked the install manual I had and it shows a wiring diagram that looks like it will accommodate the grouped ignition setup of the corolla 4efe.

I'll say it again: Always consult the guy tuning the car before buying any piggyback device to make sure he will want to tune it and that it will work for your vehicle.

11 hours ago, Claymore said:

Maybe ask for some pictures of the brackets

I did. He said he doesn’t have any in the engine now is completely different. He went further with customization. He sent me a few pictures of how the engine is now. Programmed a ECU from scratch.

“I don't think I can help you with photos because I have changed so much. I have bigger turbo, custom oil lines to turbo, custom wiring for the ECU, coils instead of distributer”.

C203FB8C-DC44-4A1C-808A-C6C18009E4C7.jpeg

ill be getting an e11 around march time. ill try to do it sooner but the way this year has gone all plans are on hold while im with work.  i recon i can get the aem, det3 and emange working with it but might need other electrical items. to be honest ive not had much time myself to look into the waste spark side of things.im still on the map sensor. im very interested as to what point/influence the two map sensors have on each other because the 4efte and 4efe have the same 5v operating voltage. i think this is why the lad that did mine has opted to use a fcd on the standard map sensor to get the out of boost side right and just fine tune it. he was running a tdo4hl 15t hyb late spooling turbo, high torque, for track. so alot of the RPM range was out of boost pressure. 

the best thing for me to do is to setup a piggy back controller on the e11. i have lots of spare turdo items to do a quick install/setup/ct9. 

the quick results that claymore found are very promising for possibly/hopefully an easy install. 

Edited by Sam44
On 10/30/2020 at 12:38 AM, Sam44 said:

tuning developmen

I went to check for the parts in a hypothetical plan to turbo charge my 4EFE and the prices for the turbo, the manifold and other parts are very expensive. I can imagine how much it would cost to buy a forged regenerated engine from them...

Considering the overall budget it is definitely better to take the risk buying a used 4efte. The engine I have apparently on hold (because I didn’t pay yet of course) will be detached from a Starlet half cut. If I will be lucky and the engine will be in good conditions, I will get the oil pump brackets. The shop promised me the fuse box with uncut wires. This plan will help avoid headaches.with all the risky piggyback management with the Corolla electronic ignition, map sensor and turbo that we didn’t yet figure out. A good mapping shop could cost €1000. They are the best but it is way too expensive for my pockets. I’ll start with 4efte ECU That will come with the engine. I will wait to buy the fuel pump and Piggyback. I will get the oil pipelines from the Starlet and concentrate on adapting the oil pump bracket to the Corolla steering pump, downpipe and exhaust. I will adapt the inlet sensor on the Corolla inlet and probably keep the original Intercooler top engine configuration and make a air intake in the hood. Still haven’t figured out what to do with the Corolla immobilizer. So far it would be 2000 and €300 including taxes to get the engine here. A few hundred euros for the water pump, the oil pump and oil seals. The guy from Greece who did the swap on the Corolla wrote me that I should get a 4efe’s E oil sump and switch it on the Corolla gearbox I am keeping. That I will have to find. The only thing I will buy so far will be nice pipe lines.

the software on the ecu is encrypted/locked. 

sounds like a plan 130-150hp is very nice. you can sort out a piggy back to take it higher at a later date if you choose to. 

the 4efte jdm ecu does not use a immobilizer (both ep91 and ep82) so it will not be a issue once you give it its lives and ground wires. 

remember to check previous posts on here to see what other items you need with the 4efte loom and ecu swap in. 

Edited by Sam44
1 hour ago, Sam44 said:

remember to check previous posts on here to see what other items you need with the 4efte loom and ecu swap in. 

Yep I noted what you told me about the swap.

Switch the inlet sensor if I keep the Corolla Inlet. The other sensors should be on the engine.  As I am wapping ECUs and loom, the Corolla air box sensor should be useless right?

I’m still not sure about how to connect the water line for the 4EFTE turbo  I mean should I get the Starlet water pump? I’m pretty sure it has the turbo exit that the Corolla water pump doesn’t have. Or can I buy an aftermarket splitter?

The turbo oil pipe should be already attached to the engine. Correct? You suggested to change the rubber O-rings and the oil pump. Apparently the oil pump is the same between 4efe and 4efte. Please tell me if I’m saying something wrong here.

i’ll keep the Corolla AC oil steering pump, I Will keep the steering wheel oil pump pipe because the Corolla has a longer one.

please tell me if I said something wrong and I’m pretty sure I forgot something!

I am looking for the Glanza V ep91 loom wiring diagrams to swap them with the extra Corolla wires. Same for the fuse box. I will need both Glanza GTI and Corolla E11 diagrams. Can you help me find them?

Edited by Frankieflowers

yeh ill look now. 

if you are keeping the top mounted inter-cooler on the 4efte, you will  have to use the 4efte inlet manifold (the intercooler mounts to the 4efte manifold, also the throttle body from the 4efte engine does not fit on the corrola inlet (it overhangs on the inner face).if you are using the 4efte ecu and loom you will need to keep the 4efte throttle body and  inlet air temp sensor. 

also to make make the inte-cooler effective/efficient you need to seal to to the underside of the scoop (so get the glanza under bonnet scoop sealing panel if you can.  personally i would go fmic (front mount intercooler) they are not hard to fit and give great gains and safety. 

ill buy the inlet and cams and e11 engine loom and coil packs/oil pump. off you giving you some cash to send on the build.  you can keep the inlet for future mods (fmic) it does give much better low rpm torque.  

Edited by Sam44
11 hours ago, Sam44 said:

yeh ill look now. 

if you are keeping the top mounted inter-cooler on the 4efte, you will  have to use the 4efte inlet manifold (the intercooler mounts to the 4efte manifold, also the throttle body from the 4efte engine does not fit on the corrola inlet (it overhangs on the inner face).if you are using the 4efte ecu and loom you will need to keep the 4efte throttle body and  inlet air temp sensor. 

also to make make the inte-cooler effective/efficient you need to seal to to the underside of the scoop (so get the glanza under bonnet scoop sealing panel if you can.  personally i would go fmic (front mount intercooler) they are not hard to fit and give great gains and safety. 

ill buy the inlet and cams and e11 engine loom and coil packs/oil pump. off you giving you some cash to send on the build.  you can keep the inlet for future mods (fmic) it does give much better low rpm torque.  

I'll be more than happy to sell you some parts as soon as the 4efte is up and running safe.

The reason I want t o keep the upper IC is because it looks good to have the scoop. It will save me 400 euros for the front IC and 150 euros for the IC pipes. That money will be spent on labor. Second phase will be dedicated to swap inlet, coil pack, fuel pump and IC. Ir will require mapping. Overall 1200 euros budget.

1 hour ago, Sam44 said:

ill look for the bonnet scoop seal now, see if i can find a picture. 

Thank you. I really don’t have a clue.

The Corolla fuel pump is enough to do his job with the 4efte engine? What parameters are set as default and how should a new fuel pump be set?

here’s the Corolla electric pump. 

00742F09-929C-47A0-8CDF-53BB5FE6D15C.jpeg

Edited by Frankieflowers

the fuel pump is what i would consider a vital component, with the age and mileage covered by your pump and the added benefits of an up-rated pump. ive always replaced my fuel pumps with performance items. i had a older fuel pump fail on me, on a nissan build using the same pumps. it took out the engine. if you search on here the walbro pump is highly rated/recommended when increasing the 4efte hp output. 

you simply just install it in place of the old unit. you will have to cut the 2x wires and join them to the new pump.       

3 hours ago, Sam44 said:

tuning developments

I’ve been on the website for the last 30 minutes and I checked all the prices for the replacement parts I need to refresh the engine. It is obviously better to buy them OEM, but prices would go up exponentially. The only OEM part I would buy would be the head gasket but I shouldn’t need it considering that I don’t have to open the engine.

what do you think?

On 12/7/2020 at 4:00 PM, Frankieflowers said:

I’ve been on the website for the last 30 minutes and I checked all the prices for the replacement parts I need to refresh the engine. It is obviously better to buy them OEM, but prices would go up exponentially. The only OEM part I would buy would be the head gasket but I shouldn’t need it considering that I don’t have to open the engine.

what do you think?

Just remember the 255lph fuel pump sold by Tuning developments is not a walbro fuel pump. I'm not saying its bad, there are people using them and Tuning developments wouldn't sell bad things but it isn't a walbro pump if that is what you want to buy.

For Toyota genuine parts most people use amayama: https://www.amayama.com/en

You need to find the toyota part numbers then copy paste them into the amayama website and it will show the parts. Just remember you will have to pay import taxes when they arrive in Italy, I don't know how much this costs so please find out before ordering anything. I have used them in the past and they are very good, genuine parts.

Edited by Claymore