Nice car mate.

INSURANCE - Please read! : Ok, when somebody is insured Fully Comp, they are ONLY insured to drive another persons vehicle if :

1. They are over the age of 25

2. The other car is insured

If your bro/gf are not over 25 they will not be covered to drive that car. The law changed a few years back, so that only 25's and over are now covered.

The only exclusion in this - is if they happen to be with Quinn Direct and have the extra part on their policy which covers them TP only on any other car.

ALSO - If you are infact 25 or over, and are insured comp. If you drive any other car, your only insured Third Party Only, NOT TPFT!

It seems this issue confuses alot of people, maybe I should post it up in General to make everyone aware! I have had so many friends caught out by this!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the info speedfreek.. Yea would be a good idea to get that stickied/stamped somewhere..

Anyone have a friend with a trailer or tow vehicle? or know how i could get it home cheaply as possible?

As u may know i had my theory test today which i passed :p .. but i dont want to insure the car for a year on my name until i pass my test for reasons you may know or not know ;) .. My bro is over 25 but my gf is not.

Im still confused as to what happens when you buy a car from a private or trade seller !!?? If you go and look at a car private with money in your hand and like the car 9 times out of 10 you take the car away with you there and then without a thought about insuring the actual car. Is this legal ? If you had your insurance details with you when driving the car home (person who is full comp) and also all the new car details etc would the police let you on your way ? or would it be down to the individual ?

Another thought i just had was that the car would need to be insured somehow on a traders policy or something similar for the actual person/garage/trader selling it to be able to drive it etc ? so would this be sufficient or does a traders policy only cover vehicles that are insured already ? lol..

Lots of headwork for me right now but things are looking up. Ive just sent of my loan agreement so money should be with me next week so if i sort out how im getting it back home it should be with me next weekend :p

What are my options apart from the above ?

Thanks again all for the help.. Really appreciated.

Dale

could always just rent out a tow truck for the day nd get your bro to drive it up there nd back for you, then just throw the car on the back tie it down get it home then worry about insuring it. can't imagine it costing too much to rent one for the day

yea thats a good idea mate.. was thinking bout that.. lookin at probably £100 total for the day in petrol/diesel.

Like the toad alarm too.. Seems good for the price.

Any recommendations on what i should buy for the car first ? brakes/pads are first.. And do you think i should get the cambelt changed when i get it too ? Just to be on the safe side ?

if you know someone with trade plates theyd need some way to get there themselfs too! looks good tho, good luck with it ;)

id also get the cambelt done if it needs doing first if its gonna be ok for a while get the brakes done

Ok, to help you out a bit..

All (well most) Traders i.e Car sales places will have a Traders Policy for the actual company. Each person that works for this company will be named on this policy, so they can drive ANY car from their forecourt. Now I think they would be fully comp.

This also covers them for when people take a car for a test drive, although they HAVE to have the traders plates on the car. Its illegal to not have them on.

If you buy a car from a trader, you have to have insurance on that car your self before you can drive it away. (well you could drive it away, but you would be illegal) This is why, alot of car sales places have details of some insurers so you can get it there and then.

Now a days, more people getting a new car already have another one that they are insured on. So if they call up their insurers they will swap it over.

You are ALWAYS recommended to get insurance quotes before buying a car. This applies more to people like us moddified car enthusiasts because if they are Japanese they will be dearer.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the in depth explanation Speedfreek ;) .. ive just spoken to the guy and voiced my concern about this and he said that the car should be covered under his insurance/traders policy, so i think he wasnt sure to be honest. He seemed to think that it would be ok but ive so many on here saying no that i think ill stick with the side of caution and find another way of getting it home..

My reason for not insuring it now is that i have only just passed my theory today and dont want the car insured on my name until i have my full license (should be within 2 months hopefully :p ) . Explanation on this can be found on my welcome thread i think.. its long winded but makes sense :p .

long story short when i pass my test it will say i have been driving since 28 august 2000 on my license, :D

Yeah I understand mate. Can you get a family member to insure it as a 2nd car just until you pass? Or, as you have said, try getting it trailored.

I am pretty sure you won't be covered on there traders policy, not to take it all the way home.

yea thats a good idea mate.. was thinking bout that.. lookin at probably £100 total for the day in petrol/diesel.

Like the toad alarm too.. Seems good for the price.

Any recommendations on what i should buy for the car first ? brakes/pads are first.. And do you think i should get the cambelt changed when i get it too ? Just to be on the safe side ?

well modification wise:

as it's a fresh import the garage should change the cambelt automatically, i would ask to make sure they have. as should it come with mot and tax.

nd it all ready has alloys and a exhaust, so maybe suspension- uprated pads nd discs, bov- then you would start going into the engine mods- decat, manifold, rrfpr, fcd etc. but there is no rush to slap mods onto it, take care of it get used to it then decide what you want to do from there.

the cambelt was changed at around 100,000km so he said its a basically new 1 on there. sticker on the cover etc so thats good news ;) .. yea i think brakes are gonna be next, ive seen some good deals around for the 3g discs and yellow stuff pads.. may go for those. Also it isnt being serviced by the garage as i got it on the cheap so ill do that too.. Is it worth getting HKS or NGK iridium type spark plugs ? are there a particular type i should get ?

Cheers again.. keep it coming all :p

Thanks again for that, mintex pads it is then. Are the above things on starlets easy enough to do ? I used to have mk2 golf and a mk2 jetta so have a rough understanding of things but should i be aware of anything ?

Sorry to keep going on and on and on.. But obviously i dont want to create thread after thread about each seperate thing :D

Thanks to all.

not that i know of, the oil filter is a bit of a bugger to get to but the rest seems reasonably simple.

questions need answering bud, I'm still learning loads!

if you have questions or get stuck have a look in the tech sections has practically every answer and thread you could think of :D , i have learnt loads from there

• 2 weeks later...

Well ive passed my theory first time, 48/50 and 65/75 on the hazard :lol: .. Picking the car up from southampton tomorrow morning :p woohoo ! .

Ill post pics and maybe even a vid on youtube when i get her home.

4 More shifts and ive then got 18 days to tweak,fiddle and play with it :(..

Cant frickin wait..

Driving test booked for 1st October so keep your fingers crossed for me peeps.

What kind of mods should i go for first after brakes and handling ?

Actuator ?

If possible could you list what i should do. Give me an idea of where to start and what i need to save up for etc. Dont wanna go FMIC straight away as thats bucks.

Thanks in advance.

D

Well finally got her back today. Got home about an hour ago lol. I had a few little bonus' when i actually looked over the car.

Full Exhaust system with a Jasma plaque on the bottom (this isnt the make is it >?)

I think there may be coilovers on there. Only had a quick glance so ill keep u posted.

Razo Gearknob and a Quickshift kit i think as the gearbox is solid, no play,very close and a nice positive feel when changing gears.

Bad point i found out when the gf drove home. Misfiring like a pig :p . Probably just needs a good service, i had it £800 cheaper than advertised price so had no service or warranty with it lol.. ill be doing a full service over the next week so hopefully that should cure it.

Ill keep u upto date with anything i do and how it goes but apart from the 1 small problem im very happy ;)

Just ordered a set of NGK's as part of my service. Gotta wait for more cash before i do the rest but wont be driving it so not a problem.

Had a nice chat with Dave and he seems to think there may be water somewhere in the system. I was told the engine was steam cleaned and also when i took a lead out last nite the bottom of it seemed to be damp so im gonna whip em all out and dry them off and keep my fingers crossed ;)

Well hoorah ive cleaned the plugs and all is fine ;) ..

Found out another few little nice things to.

Denso Iridium Plugs, Denso Dizzy cap and rotor arm

TRD Panel Filter (almost brand new)

Fujitsubo Full system

Tein coilovers :p

Very happy chappy right now.

Ive taken the lo boost off and im just gonna fit my indiglo dials now. Weather permitting i will try and get my KMH to MPH converter on later.

Theres always some nice goodies with these that dont get mention the coilys is hell of a bonus ;)

Sounds good mate get some pics up I will be getting the Indiglo dials aswell

I will pop down when I get my car back :p