• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not had a wee look at this for a week or so, thats a bit of a bummer with the rear suspension:( all that hard work for nothing really. but good things come to those who wait!

and that gear box :) whats that shit called? lol and who was that moonwalking past when u took the photo haha

14992_10150171218760473_587840472_11697871_6345227_n.jpg

Thanks guys, will work out for the best but when you look at it in its current state it just makes me sad :)

@ Bucket, i have no idea what the stuff is. Its some sort of toilet cleaner and descaler! No really! Smells same as alloy wheel cleaner that you can buy in a spray bottle and is the same colour too. Wouldn't surprise me if its the same stuff.

I didn't leave it on too long as otherwise it eats through the gearbox! :p

and thats James @ ToyotaGT moonwalking,

• 2 weeks later...

*** Small Update ***

Well was up at TGT today, only for a few hours or so but got a few pics and a bit of an update.

Since i last updated the rear has been removed from the buggy and the subframe has had the 'bolt together' parts removed and the area that is getting the new welded parts has been re-enforced. The existing mini suspension towers have been cut up and currently look like this.....

25847_10150177605120473_587840472_11862700_8000537_n.jpg

This area needs some serious building up work to make it stronger to take the new coilover setup but will be worth it i hope.

The back currently is in pieces but hopefully will be going back together in a week or so when i have the new laser cut tower parts. The Suspension towers are going to blend into the rear light units, will make complete sense when you see the final design. :D

25847_10150177605135473_587840472_11862703_7699519_n.jpg

The last laser cut parts also included these brackets, these will hold the gear change cables from the mr2/starlet and be mounted to the frame where the two cables meet and will need connecting together. Needed a little bit or cleaning up and bending into shape but they are a good fit now.

25847_10150177605145473_587840472_11862705_3013601_n.jpg

25847_10150177605160473_587840472_11862707_4100515_n.jpg

Also got this yesterday, not taken long to deliver, just 5 months or so!!!!! but worth the wait, looks pretty sexual and will look nice with that clear cambelt cover that will hopefully not be long!

25847_10150177605180473_587840472_11862711_8045885_n.jpg

While i was up there today i have begun work on the front end, not much but i don't want to rush this as its a main feature of the buggy. I have a design in my head and don't currently have anything on paper. Im trying to work out how to build it so will probably work on this for the next few months at a very slow rate. I have removed the front headlights as i don't think i can keep them in their current location because of the IVA regs but not sure as of yet??? With the headlights off though you can really appreciate the shape and i can visualise the front better.

25847_10150177605170473_587840472_11862709_1110022_n.jpg

Added a nice MDF splitter just to check that the design im going for doesn't stick out to far and i think it looks about right. Its the shape that is penciled on the mdf, so will be more curved and angle inwards slightly. Don't know how this will work with the radiator hoses yet???

25847_10150177605195473_587840472_11862714_5441699_n.jpg

25847_10150177605215473_587840472_11862716_1138311_n.jpg

Nose will be built up with a selection of templates/foam/parts/cheese until i have a rough shape that will work and i can get a rough design from. There is no point me taking months making a perfect mould just to make a one off front nosecone so don't epect the mould to look 100% as it won't. If i am really happy with the final design i may make a decent mould so that if i have a crash/front gets damaged i can make another front piece.

Been working out what i still need to purchase and what i have got that needs fitting and although the list isn't as long as it could be the parts that remain on the 'need to buy' list are relatively expensive and working out funding has made me realise something. I want this thing built AS SOON AS POSSIBLE as im dying to use it. However i would rather it gets done properly first time round so with that in mind i don't see it being ready this year! I think its going to be a push to get it done for next summer even :D Sounds crazy i know but i just don't have the funds to throw alot of money at this thing. The next few months i am going to be VERY tight for cash so work is going to SLOW down on this alot!!!!! I will continue to carry on with it but don't expect regular updates, there are a few parts on there way and i will update now and then, especially when i get the new inlet manifold from Ricky :D

but don't worry people, THIS PROJECT WILL SEE THE ROAD!!!! even if it kills me!

Jason :p

***Mini Update***

Well had a little think today and i have realised that the RX7 topmount cooler i have is now going to need some work to fit with the 'Race Tech' Inlet Manifold i have on the way. Rather than buy some silicon adaptors to get the RX7 to work im just going to finish welding the brackets and sell it on! So soon i will have an adapted RX7 topmount for sale.

I didn't get the Inlet Manifold polished so im going to polish it myself and while im at it im going to convert my rocker cover to a 'Race Spec' version and weld on some adaptors for the Earls fittings and also polish this up to match the Inlet manifold. Don't know if this will look any good but should be nice and shiney!!!!! The weld on AN6 fittings have been ordered to convert it to a race spec version. £11.74 spent so far on 5x AN6 weld on fittings.

This will give me something to keep me busy on the Demon while still not spending loads of money :D

Jason :D

arghh that top pic of the back end being away from the front breaks my heart lol cant wait to see it all back together :o

LOL Yes, tell me about it. Its ok mate, this needs to be done, will change things for the best and will be so much better with the new change that are coming soon! :o

i am soooo impressed with this thing!!! get on!!

i cant wait to see more progress and look forward to the day you fire the engine up!!!

also glad to hear your back on track after your op! get well soon!

goooooood luck! :)

*** Mini Update ***

Got up to TGT yesterday to pick up a few little bits from the Demon so i can work on a few bits at home. Money is tight this month and next so plan is to work on a few bits that won't cost me much money.

Got the Rocker cover off the engine and the plan is to convert it to a race spec one and polish it up to a mirror finish. By the time im finished with this thing it will be like its made of chrome. James got the AN6 weld on fittings welded in place. Was going to go for AN8 fittings but im not going for 300hp or anything so i think AN6 will do. They are bigger than the standard size so its uprated.

This is what it looked like after the fittings had been welded........

DSC01152.jpg

and after a few hours of sanding, not much difference i know but when its done its going to look insane next to the polsihed Inlet manifold from Ricky :p

DSC01153.jpg

James also welded up the extra pipes on my RX7 intercooler! Was going to keep this for the moment but after i had a little play with a monster Supra intercooler i changed my mind. Watch this space as a very nice RX7 intercooler will be up for grabs shortly :D

Here is what we are planning with the intercooler, this was just a mock up but its going to look insane. We plan on making full hardpipes for it as well. Rather than some kits you see fitted that have pipe-silicone hose-pipe-silicone hose-pipe etc

What do people think of this.............

DSC01151.jpg

DSC01150.jpg

James thought it will be funny when i come up against people at the lights and they see that thing strapped to the back :D Not much rear vision but oh well, not like this thing is normal is it LOL

Jason :)

*** Little Update ***

Yesterday the Mandrel bends arrived for the 1st exhaust system (with screamer pipe) and everything is there and ready now to make the exhaust system the second the engine and gearbox is all back together and is sitting back in the Demon.

Must have spent about 5 hours sat in the garden just sanding the rocker cover as well yesterday, the casting is so crap its unreal! Takes flippin ages just to get rid of the little pits that are all over the thing. I haven't even started using the powered polishing kit yet so this is going to come up like chrome! :p Im still using 120 grit paper and it looks like its getting pretty clean already! Got rid of most of the really bad casting marks around the edge and getting in between the groves/letters is a nightmare. I did polish up one corner with 400 grit and a bit of polish just to see what it will come out like, WOW! looks pretty good, and im going to take this thing to about 800-1000 grit before the polisher even gets on it so will be uber shiney!

DSC01157.jpg

DSC01158.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01160.jpg

I also ordered the standard Thermostat housing and oil filter housing as im going to polish them up also! Should look amazing polished rocker cover, Race Tech inlet manifold, intercooler pipework running either side of the engine and then engine parts polished as well :p

The plan is to not spend another penny this month on the Demon so will just be sat in the garden sanding and polsihing bits up! If anyone else is thinking of polsihing their rocker cover then seriously think if you can be bothered or not! It takes AGES, i have spent about 10 hours on this so far and its no where near finished.

Jason B)

haha glad you got the patience dude cause its looking much better

me....i just get mine painted haha

and oh my god that intercooler MUST be mounted there it looks mean haha :p loving it jase :p

personally not a fan of the intercooler there, i have mine behind my head in the mr2 (and that's behind glass and the heat shield etc) and it's soo loud lol... one touch of the peddle and all you get is a massive sucking noise 'chuuuuu'. so i can only imagine that will probably kill your ears at the air is blasted through the piping and the core.

might get damaged from stones popping up etc as well... but it's your beasty so obviously your decision haha, i personally think side mounted would be most efficient though.

but... looking schweeet :p lol

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuber!!!

5 hours sanding a rocker cover, now THAT is dedication dude!!!! top work!

Phil.

Only problem is its going to need about another 25 hours to finish it off :p Will be worth it though, you won't have seen a Rocker cover like it! :p

personally not a fan of the intercooler there, i have mine behind my head in the mr2 (and that's behind glass and the heat shield etc) and it's soo loud lol... one touch of the peddle and all you get is a massive sucking noise 'chuuuuu'. so i can only imagine that will probably kill your ears at the air is blasted through the piping and the core.

might get damaged from stones popping up etc as well... but it's your beasty so obviously your decision haha, i personally think side mounted would be most efficient though.

but... looking schweeet lol

I know not evryone will be a fan of it there, i don't know if i have room for a side mounted version. I think it will look loads better when i have the pipework done for it and its all polished and looking sexual.

I know its going to be loud as well, i have the turbo and screamer behind the seat also so there is that to compete with. I want it to sound like the gates of hell themselves have opened up when the throttle is pressed! B)

haha your going to go through the gates backwards on fire anyway jase mayswell do it right haha

i think the intercooler looks great there and it is called the demon MAKE THAT FUCKER ROAR :p :P B)

top work on the rocker cover mate looking great and the intercooler will look awsome there but pipework could be a bit of an eye sore. i remember a little nova with twin C20LET's and part of the roll cage was the intercooler pipework. that could be an option to keep things tidy?

top work on the rocker cover mate looking great and the intercooler will look awsome there but pipework could be a bit of an eye sore. i remember a little nova with twin C20LET's and part of the roll cage was the intercooler pipework. that could be an option to keep things tidy?

Thanks for the comments people B) Keeps me motivated and i know im on the right track.

Did have a good look at engine side of things when the intercooler was sat there and i think it will look ok? I have the race tech inlet manifold shortly on its way so this drops the inlet side of things down to the level of the rocker cover. This means the pipework will go round the rocker cover rather than over it. Think that will be a big factor in how it looks. The engine will sit in the middle with the intercooler pipes running either side of the rocker cover so should look all tied in? If that makes sense???

When the engines back in the chassis with the lsd box i will get a few bits of intercooler pipework and do a 5 minute mock up. I think it will look pretty sick ;) B)

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

*** Small Update ***

Well i have been sanding and polishing for days now and im just not getting anywhere. The castings from parts are so crap that you need to put in so much work its unreal!

Still sanding down the rocker cover and its slowly getting there. Thought i would have a break from this and spice it up a bit...............so i decided to start sanding/polishing another part :p

Started looking at the oil filter bracket and did a little, well i say a little but i have actually spent about 8 hours on this part :harhar:

started off like this.....

DSC01172.jpg

DSC01173.jpg

and after 8 hours...............

DSC01182.jpg

DSC01183.jpg

Still needs work. ^_^ but will be worth it when all the polished parts come together.

I decided that im going to need something to get into all the small parts and the lettering on the rocker cover so started looking at Dremel type kits on the bay. Found a nice draper kit on ebay with 56 extra bits for £21.50 shipped. Thought this was a pretty good price but then i checked his pictures and they where just stolen from Amazon.com. So i thought i would check amazon and RESULT!!!!! its only £16 on their site new and comes with free delivery!

So i have a tidy little Draper multitool coming from Amazon and i have also ordered loads of spare sanding/grinding/polishing tips from ebay.

This should hopefully speed things up and give a better finish also, should of just done this from the start.

I am also speaking to Ricky at Race Tech about some modifications to the Inlet manifold i have being made, should be pretty sexy when its ready :D

Jason ;)