• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

deffo a good idea

you going to be at japfest by the way jase?

Won't be at Japfest unfortunately, just don't have the time! Sounds crazy i know but im trying to spend every waking hour on this and getting it built! Plus i need to save money for this and a house! Plus if i go to Japfest i will end up buying more things :)

Im trying to get this built before we start looking at houses as when i get a house the funds will be uber low for a good while and fear that the Demon will not get done and i won't have the money to finish it.

Jason :)

*** little udate ***

Well today i went to my work's workshop to get a few little things done.

Have spent all week stripping down the mini hubs and getting them cleaned up and hopefully in a few weeks they will be getting machined to accept the new discs. I managed to get the disc flanges cleaned up and bolted up to the new discs. While they are all clean and the rust starts building up again i got a coat of black hammerite on them.

DSC01217.jpg

DSC01224.jpg

I spent about an hour sanding the fuel rail. Starting with 180 grit, then 400,600,1000 and 1200 grade until nice and smooth. The fuel rail was in really good condition and you can see that Ricky has taken care not to scratch it while making it. Then got it on the buffing wheel and it now looks like chrome :)

DSC01222.jpg

DSC01223.jpg

Thats now wrapped up safely and put in the big box of parts that are waiting to be fitted.

Got the thottle body taken off the inlet so i can get the main body polished up and have made a start with hand sanding. Again you can see that Ricky has taken really good care with making the manifold and there are very few scratch's on it so will come up really nice.

throttle body taken off.....

DSC01220.jpg

Inside of manifold.......

DSC01219.jpg

I spent a little bit of time sanding the top and back of the manifold and you can see how nicely it has come up! This hasn't been on the buffer yet and its looking fantastic.

DSC01226.jpg

DSC01227.jpg

Now that the hubs are all cleaned up and ready for the machineing im going to continue with the polishing now this week. Im waiting for the laser cutting company to get back to me with the quote for the fuel cell parts but they have promised that they will this coming week.

Hopefully i will get a chance to get up to TGT next Saturday with any luck and see what is going on with the chassis. Hopefully they have found time to do a little bit???

Jason :D

woop woop sunday updates FTW

looking good jase cant wait to see if theyve been working on the demon

we was watching all the track action yesterday at japfest and heared loads of people including myself saying imagine if the demon was here how good will that look on the track etc. cant wait for it to be finished :)

we was watching all the track action yesterday at japfest and heared loads of people including myself saying imagine if the demon was here how good will that look on the track etc. cant wait for it to be finished :)

Really??? :) Didn't realise people would be talking about it? Makes me feel like im on the right track then if people are liking what im doing :D Dam it, now i want some track action :)

I doubt they have done anything on it to be honest! They said they would do some if they had time, they are usually rammed with work! Plus because im not there all the time hassling him then it gets left. Im not complaining, i wouldn't be able to build this without James and he's a great guy. If they haven't done much i will get something booked in so they will get something underway shortly :(

Jason :(

Hi Jason

Noticed the intercooler pipe kit you got is identical to the one i got

Use mikolor clamps

The rubber hoses dont grip to well when using jubalee clamps.

The hoses are not silicone ones

Also they will go green in a few months

The ali pipes are good quality.

Hi Jason

Noticed the intercooler pipe kit you got is identical to the one i got

Use mikolor clamps

The rubber hoses dont grip to well when using jubalee clamps.

The hoses are not silicone ones

Also they will go green in a few months

The ali pipes are good quality.

Hi Stu,

Yes i plan on using the Mikalor clamps as the jubalee's aint perfect. Im going to weld the intercooler pipework anyway so i have 2 fully welded runs, rather than loads of pipes and joiners as i think it will look better as longer welded pipes. Im also replacing the hoses, as like you say they are cack! and they STINK :) I bought the kit solely for the pipework, which is spot on :)

I joined the forum to have a look at some Starlet's, and ended up spending the last 40 minutes or so reading about this. It looks f*cking epic, and hope to eventually see it one day tearing up the track. Keep up the good work mate, it'll all pay off in the end :-)

I joined the forum to have a look at some Starlet's, and ended up spending the last 40 minutes or so reading about this. It looks f*cking epic, and hope to eventually see it one day tearing up the track. Keep up the good work mate, it'll all pay off in the end :-)

Thanks for the kind comments Mate :p

Im trying my best to get it done asap but its a long ol' road and the end is a long way off :p As you will have noticed reading the whole thread, i spend alot of money on parts i don't really need, but it all adds to the epic'ness of the final piece :D

now if that isnt the best motivational comment I've seen i dont know what is

and hell yeah they were talking about it. would be so amazing to see the demon on the track. cant wait :p

To be honest the reason i update this thread so much is because of the comments i get from you guys. This site is just pure WIN and everyone is awsome!

I know this buggy ain't probably everyones taste but you guys have nothing but good things to say and the comments are what keep me motivated and wanting to see this through to completion! Its not a Starlet really but you guys welcomed me into the site and you don't seem to mind me hanging about, so thankyou all :p

Jason :p

Is this project up anywhere else jason if what type of feed back are you getting from it? and @JAE mate I'm going to be your alarm system for the buggy as i'll just sleep in the demons arms. lol. seroiusly though I will!!!

Is this project up anywhere else jason if what type of feed back are you getting from it? and @JAE mate I'm going to be your alarm system for the buggy as i'll just sleep in the demons arms. lol. seroiusly though I will!!!

The build thread is on 'Outlaw Jap Club' and 'Muddybuggies'. Get pretty good feedback from those sites but nowhere near as posative as you guys!!!! :p One guy on Muddybuggies said that im 'Complicating' things buy using a Toyota engine rather than sticking to the Mini engine norm. He couldn't understand why i was doing all this work and said 'you could have a nice caterham for the money and time you have spent'. I tried to explain that i wanted to be different but don't know if it got through???

.....and i won't be at JAE with it Luke :p its not a jap car so im not allowed in, believe me i have tried!

Some great parts Jason just get them all fitted please :p

Trust me i really want to get them fitted, and there are SO MANY parts i have now. Problem is the chassis is still cut up and the engine and gearbox are still apart. Once the chassis work is all done the Demon should come together really quickly! Until then i will continue making some trick parts and buying up everything :p

To be honest the reason i update this thread so much is because of the comments i get from you guys. This site is just pure WIN and everyone is awsome!

I know this buggy ain't probably everyones taste but you guys have nothing but good things to say and the comments are what keep me motivated and wanting to see this through to completion! Its not a Starlet really but you guys welcomed me into the site and you don't seem to mind me hanging about, so thankyou all :)

Jason B)

Id be enthusiastic anyway about this but jase its got a 4efte in it so its a starlet to me. the shell doesnt make it a starlet the beating growling heart does B)

Already got the toyota badges B) but still not allowed in, technically its a kitcar so its a no go :)

Please tell me their toyota devil badges now that will look rude :D

Id be enthusiastic anyway about this but jase its got a 4efte in it so its a starlet to me. the shell doesnt make it a starlet the beating growling heart does :D

Please tell me their toyota devil badges now that will look rude :)

I guess it has the heart of a starbo B) Its sort of like a starlet that has cross bread with the devils Go-kart B)

Of course they are devil Toyota badges, and in black :)

*** Sunday Update ***

Well its been another busy week but im happy with the direction its going and the next few months are going to be interesting :)

Started off the week by cutting a small section off of my intercooler pipework to look at making a custom made oil catch tank. There is plenty of bends, straight etc so just cut a 120mm piece off. The oil catch tank is going to have AN6 earls fittings with a bottom bung to drain the oil. Not going to have a site tube on it as it looks messy, will just empty it every now and then.

Top end......

DSC01232.jpg

Bottom.........

DSC01233.jpg

Its not welded up yet but James will do it when the intercooler pipework gets done. Will have a small bracket added and will attach to the side of the engine somewhere so i don't have to run stupidly long hoses.

Then started with one of the jobs i have been meaning to do for some time now, sort out the arch's for the wheels. As i have new brackets made up for the front and rear i needed to make a template to work out what size arch's i need and where to mount them. Im going for the smallest arch's i can get away with as i like the wheel being on show more. Im going for close fit arch's that fit as close to the tyre as possible. 15mm above to be precise, but as the arch moves up and down with the hub this shouldn't be a problem and shouldn't ever touch the tyre.

After alot of measuring, angles, more measuring i have a template.........

DSC01235.jpg

You can see the small arch that is possible and the template is mounted directly to the hub to work out the correct placement of the arch, the template is reverseable so i can do both sides!

Now came the arch's, the only arch's i can find that i like are the carbon mods ones, and im not paying £200 a pair!!!! So i have decided that the rest of the project is custom i may as well make the arch's from scratch! My bro has moved to Japan for a year or two and left alot of resin, fibreglass and gelcoat. So in theory the arch's won't cost me anything but time to make!

So after a few minutes thinking about how to do it i started knocking up a template.....

DSC01236.jpg

DSC01237.jpg

DSC01238.jpg

finished mould, rounded the corners ever so slightly.......

DSC01240.jpg

The arch's are 220mm wide so i can run some wide slick tyres for track days and the arch curve should match exactly to that of the template so i can mount them properly. I have found some proper woven fibreglass material so hopefully will knock out a arch or 2 during the week. :)

Also got up to TGT yesterday and they have started work back on the buggy! Its looking good and the back has been welded onto the main chassis so is almost in one piece again! It still needs the topmounts welding on the rear and i have to get some steel tube to reinforce the back. I don't have any pictures but give me a week or so and i will. Plan is to get up there next saturday and hopefully this should see most of the fabricating work on the chassis finished off. This will mean that the engine should be going back in shortly after and i can begin getting the driveshafts made, and connecting things up! WHOOP WHOOP!

Also had a little chat about paint while i was up there and this has changed, AGAIN!!!! Plan now is to spray the chassis Matt black and have bright green arch's, nosecone, sides, spoiler, engine cover etc. Should look better in Matt black against all the polished engine parts.

thats all for now...........:D

Jason :lol:

Gonna have to pop down again one weekend & have a proper gander over this Jason.

gonna look mental when its done.

Keep up the good work bud.

Your welcome to pop up any time you like after next weekend dude :lol: No point coming up next weekend as it will be in pieces most of the day, give it a few weeks and it should start coming together alot more :)