Tb Developments Road Car, Ep91 :), Now Updated

yeah thats us, i set up a small club and forum to help with the advertising of the business and for the customers who are all like minded people to chat about there cars etc. so at the main shows we organise a show stand mainly so we can all part up together and catch up.

yeah the red with black roof was an mr2. thats the one i said about that just made 450bhp and 370ft/lbs at 1.2bar of boost.

Tim

TB Developments

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice mate. The dash is brilliant, how exactly did you do it?

Mitch

it looks really simple but its quite time involved.

Firstly i remove all the orignial switch gear, and then brige the holes together, so you end up with one big slot. i had to then file the middle down slightly to enlarge the gap so the boost controller would slide into the gap. Once this was done i masking taped up the boost controller to use it as a mould and fixed it into the piece, then blanked the sides and front with masking tap and made a reseviour at the back using carboard. Once you've got a sealed area i filled this will a chemical plastic material called "alumalight" once this goes hard its basically plastic and bonds very well to the orignal piece.

Once this was done i could pop the boost controller out the back and i've got a very basic shape of what i wanted. I orignally tried to get a nice tight gap around the controller but throught it would look better just blended into the panel as one. So i took the boost controller apart, removed the glass from the front and the buttons.

with the front piece removed i glued this into the panel, and then filled all the edges with a flexable bumper filler (needs to be flexable as the plastic will expand when it gets hot in the summer) just a few hours of sanding to make the fill pieces and the controller front look as one without any filler imperfections.

When this is finished everything got cleaned with panel wipe and then 2 coats of a plastic polymer primer, this basically gives normal primers something to grip to. Then 3 layers of highbuild filler primer. Good sand, this brought up a couple of low spots which were corrected and then another 3 layers of high build filler primer, and a good sand firstly with 280grit then 400grit.

when i used a satin black plastic paint to finish it off, this had 3 good layers at 15min intervals to give a good coverage, after the last 15mins had passed i got the piece infront of a heater and applied the final coat which was a dusting, basically went over the panel front about 3ft back, and because of the heat the paint was basically dry as soon as it hit the panel so didn't get a wet edge covering, this gives it a slight textured effect to match the rest of the plastics in the car.

i left it overnight, next day i just reassembled the boost controller together and slight it into the face from the rear, inserted the glass in the front and all is good ;) oh the original buttons were a chrome effect and nothing else in the car was chrome so i thought it would look more factory in black to match the panel. so gave these a good key with scotchbright, plastic primered and then straight into satin black. i didn't want to highbuild these as i would loose the grip detail set into the plastic. so far there all good, not worn off :)

Job done :p

DSCN2990.jpg

Tim

TB Developments

did a few more little mods this week.

firstly was the Whiteline adjustable panard rod. Just need to get the ARB's and antilift kit fitted now and i'll get it all 4 wheel lazer alligned. :D Add a bit more negative camber on the front as well.

DSCN2992.jpg

DSCN2993.jpg

DSCN2994.jpg

I also had this back from being rebuild :p Yep a brand new Blitz K1-200v Turbocharger. the only bits that were retained were the blitz compressor wheel and housing yet referbed, everything else has been replaced for brand new, even the exhaust housing is brand new and internally ported and polished to give the best possible gas velocity through the housing and wastegate. Its had all brand new seals and bearings, also a brand new CT12 shaft and turbine orignally used on the K1 turbo :p

DSCN2999.jpg

DSCN3004.jpg

DSCN3005.jpg

DSCN3006.jpg

DSCN3000.jpg

DSCN3001.jpg

Tim

TB Developments

yeah, i'm holding out to find a jam manifold really, then i'll get that, the turbine housing and blitz decat ceramic coated before fitting it all. coupled to the blitz full nur system i think the exhaust flow should be prietty good and make good power at 1bar mapped with the power fc

Tim

TB Developments

well 180bhp and equal torque will do me mate :p

I've just bought one of the factory option LSD gearbox as well, i'll fit a fidanza lightweight flywheel and one of those 40% uprated exedy clutches while i'm at it. Should help with getting the power down.

Not going mad, 1 bar will be enough as don't want to max out the stock fueling, that will be my limiting factor to stop me going nuts lol. But i'm going to go blitz front mount ic and i'll put the water/methanol injection kit i've got going spare from my old mr2 road car. i find the methanol really helps with the fueling and an octane boost.

Tim

TB Developments

cool :D if it'll make more i might get an adjustable cam pulley and advance the cams slightly to keep it at 180bhp but raise the torque :p

did you have ignition control harness on your emanage?

I do plan on fitting a walbro 255 intank and i have a Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator from my mr2 to go on as well. This is about as far as i'm going to go on this car.

Saying that i can see myself getting paranoid of blowing it up as its a daily, and building a forged bottom end for piece of mind, and ending up with 1.2bar and larger injectors and some nitrous haha :p

Tim

TB Developments

It wont end there mate trust me :p

Yea had the main harness which included the injector harness and the seperate ignition harness along with the 3bar pressure sensor.

I have a Tuning developments pump to go on once I have my new setup, doubt I will need it until I am all forged up though.

well i'm a dealer for walbro so got a few here so seemed rude not to put a nice new pump in there :p

thing is this is meant to be my everyday car, i have a 500bhp+ mr2 being built as well, and there is nothing i can do to a glanza that will make it keep up with that so its kinda pointless, but i do love this little thing so you never know. I said i wouldn't go past the basics but the blitz turbo and power fc kinda say otherwise lol

Tim

TB Developments

i'm good thanks mate, the power fc is a full standalone ecu, there the blitz access is just a reprogrammed eprom setup. Unfortunatly these aren't remappable in any sence so wouldn't be able to compensate for my other mods i have planned.

I also try and steer clear of these as we get them in the mr2 world as well and there massivly overrated, the maps are quite aggressive which is where the extra power comes from due to wild ignition advance, but we just don't get the quality of fuel over here and its lead to quite afew engine failuers if you fit them as is. The only other way we've found is to pull 2 degree's from the base timing on the dizzy to compensate but then thats just a bodge in my opinion.

Tim

TB Developments

• 1 month later...

right been a while but thought i would update my build thread.

since i bought the car the front bumper has been rattling about because i didn't have the front grill inplace, no idea where it went but wasn't on the car when i bought it. So i bought a brand new one from toyota, and also made myself a nice polished cooling panel, shame it was dirty when i took the pics lol

DSCN3035.jpg

I upgraded my front speakers a few months ago and although good were very flat, didn't carry any bass at all so i treated myself to a bit of a subwoofer upgrade. But my goals with this car weren't to add lots of weight, and didn't want to have speakers in the parcel shielf or subs in the boot so i went with one of these. Its a very small and lightweight, powered subwoofer from pioneer to match the front speakers, I've bolted it under the passenger seat, so its unseen and only taking up un-used space. I also sound deadened the floor to make it a professional installation. As for its performance i was shocked for such a small and compact unit, its only rated at 150watt, my whole sound system only comprises of stock sized pioneer 50watt front speakers and this little powered sub and its more than enough for me and i would say all but the biggest bass heads. On full blast there isn't any digital distorsion from any of the speakers, or speaker distorsion but enough to bounce the skin on the roof lol

DSCN3042.jpg

DSCN3039.jpg

DSCN3040.jpg

while i've been searching for some rare jems in japan i found a good condition 3 point rear brace for cheap so i bought that, only down side is that the centre "starlet" panel is scuffed but i have bought a new piece from toyota which will be here shortly. but for now

DSCN3032.jpg

I also tweeked the coolant system slightly with a nice Blitz 1.3bar radiator cap to go with my blitz trend :thumbsup:

DSCN3037.jpg

I also found some time in the workshop to upgrade my front ARB to the whiteline kit i purchased last month some time, Unfortunatly i was provided the wrong type, the double bush type instead of the rose joint type from the ep91, after finding out all types would fit its just different drop links i found it easier to just uprate the front droplinks as well instead of returning the ARB for an exchange and keeping the stock droplinks. Anyway pictures of the ARB to follow but i have the droplinks

DSCN3028.jpg

And best of all, for all those people who said i would never find one and i was wasting my time and should give up, A BRAND SPANKING NEW JAM RACING EXHAUST MANIFOLD!!!! B)B)B)

DSCN3043.jpg

DSCN3044.jpg

DSCN3046.jpg

Tim

TB Developments

i also took a few parts i had on the shielf for the mr2 project and retrofitted them into this one.

First was the racelogic traction control i look off my old mr2 (now being broken for parts), this was a great bit of kit on the mr2 and i'm hoping it will cure all power understeer with the 200bhp, but not only that i stripped the board and found it very easy to add the flat shift and launch control feature for free, so i'm going to do that. i think the little glanza with launch control will be interesting

DSCN3048.jpg

The other was my Water/Methanol Injection Kit, i used this on my mr2 to great effect, with a 90% methanol mix spraying from 10psi onwards i was able to add another 3 degree of ignition advance when mapping which resulted in 25bhp, this was on a 2.0ltr engine at 1.2bar of boost pressure. i don't exspect to see the same increase but an increase neather the less. I also find running the methanol is a great safety margin as its more stable and consistant than normal fuel

DSCN3051.jpg

DSCN3052.jpg

And my fueling Upgrades started with a walbro 255ltr/hr fuel pump, i've been told its a little overkil for my goal but i'm a walbro dealer so seemed rude not to replace the 10year old fuel pump with a nice new item

DSCN3050.jpg

and finally the SX fuel Pressure Regulator, these are an on the shielf item and are alcohol approved if i ever want to run racefuel, or methanol enriched fuel without the seals inside failing :thumbsup:

I also plan to dead head the fuel rail, for people who don't know what this means, its running the fuel through the fuel pressure regulator before the rail and bleeding off pressure that way, over going through the rail/injectors then to the regulator and back to the tank. Its just much cleaner install and usually keeps fuel in the rail colder and at a higher octain compared to a constant circulating system

DSCN3057.jpg

Tim

TB Developments

cheers mate, just mainly collecting bits and then i'll take a week to install them and get the car finishing. As far as parts collection goes the end is in sight.

Fingers crossed the bottom end will be reliable at 200bhp like everyone keeps saying as i do't want to do a rebuild, but if the worst should happen i'll forge it but keep the spec the same, just throw a 100bhp shot of nitrous on there for good measure lol

Tim

TB Developments

Some AWSOME parts there mate that manifold looks pretty good!! How the hell did you find one B)

Nice to see your putting some of the MR2 bits to good use on the little Starlet, can see some of it being quite popular :thumbsup:

Very nice, loving the recon'd turbo and the JAM manifold. B)

Quite liking that sub too, that's the sort of thing I'd be after if I was going to get a sub, how much does one of them cost just out of interest?

Shouldn't be long now then until it's all done? :thumbsup: Will have to come down and see it when I'm on the road again.

yeah sure thing ste, erm the sub was £140 for the full kit, comes with wiring and everything so don't need to buy anything else.

thanks for the kind words, most of the bits i've taken off the mr2 are the older versions, so i'll just rebuy the new generation stuff for that, gonna need the traction control as its going over 500bhp, i would go more but i want to keep this road going and anything higher is just spinning up all the time.

Tim

TB Developments

nice update mate its going to be sweet when its all done :lol: and you lucky man i would like a jam manifold but every time i come across one and thats not often im brasic :p also i didnt know you could buy the plastic panel,s from toyota for the rear brace thats good to know :p

yeah you can actually buy the whole brace from toyota new, think i was quoted £25 for the cover and about £130 for the whole brace.

I won't let you know how much i had to pay for the manifold but lets just say it came direct from japan and might as well threw in some bum lube lol, but you've gotta pay the price for rare items i'm afraid. But anyway nothing holding me back now getting all the turbo,downpipe etc setup fitted. Just waiting for the bits to come back from ceramic coating as every car i've used that on i noticed a 300rpm drop in spool and much cooler underbonnet temps

Tim

TB Developments