Starlet Nath's Glanza Conversion

Thought now I've got broadband again (yippee!!) I'd give a bit of an update

I've now finished my HND and passed so now I can get cracked on

I finished removing the sound deadening a couple of weeks ago and now I am removing the seam sealer inside and removing metal as I go. Here are a few pics from tonight as I've started to remove the seat bracketry in preperation of new seat rails being welding in when it goes for a cage

Sound deadening removed

Progress0509088.jpg

Front seat rear bracket cut out

Progress0509083.jpg

Progress0509084.jpg

Progress0509085.jpg

Progress0509087.jpg

Progress0509086.jpg

Front seat bracketry chopped out. Just spot welds to drill out now

Progress0509082.jpg

Removed the rear seat bracketry

Progress0509089.jpg

Here is the pile of metal I removed

Progress050908.jpg

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here's tonights update

To some it might not look like I've done much since last night, however in my defence it time consuming work drilling out spot welds!!!

I spent a couple of hours on it and removed all the bracketry apart from the middle and outer parts of the front seat front mounts.

Progress060908.jpg

Progress0609082.jpg

Progress0609086.jpg

Progress0609087.jpg

Here's a slightly bigger pile of metal, which suprisingly is only 3kgs

Progress0609088.jpg

Here are a few pics of some of the seams I have cleaned up already in preperation for seam welding

Progress0609083.jpg

Progress0609084.jpg

Progress0609085.jpg

Unfortunately I'm at work tomorrow so I won't get chance to get on it.

what are you going to do about the rear axle mate?

all this effort, you may aswell stick a rear sub in and make it independant.

I'm designing a new rear beam arrangement so I will have adjustment of camber and toe in.

Can go for a radical change as I've spent quite a bit on whiteline ARB and an RSR Pan hard rod!!

thing is, having adjustable camber etc will be ok, but the beam will still have the inherant flaw of both wheels doing the same.

if youre raelly serious about getting this smashing times round a track. you should get a rear subframe assembly out of a small hatch and weld that in.

adjustable camber on the rear is only worth it if the wheels can work independantly of each other.

could end up with even less grip that stock in certain situations.

thing is, having adjustable camber etc will be ok, but the beam will still have the inherant flaw of both wheels doing the same.

if youre raelly serious about getting this smashing times round a track. you should get a rear subframe assembly out of a small hatch and weld that in.

adjustable camber on the rear is only worth it if the wheels can work independantly of each other.

could end up with even less grip that stock in certain situations.

I can understand where you are coming from Rick, I had thought about doing this already. However the reason I didn't is because of the pain and heart ache I will have to go through to achieve my goals. There will be alot more engineering involved it utilising a rear subframe and making fully independant and I simply don't have the time to put in in the timescale I have to get it complete.

when is your intended finish date then?!

I have 10 to 11 months to complete it. I aiming to get it caged before xmas, but it all depends when I can get it booked in for?

I aim to get it painted early in the new year and while it is away being caged we'll rebuild the engine.

Should be ready to start seam welding internally by(maybe) next weekend.

When I do get the new rear beam made (probably after it is on the road!!) I can arrange to have 2 made if you want?

Just a quick update for tonight (No pictures today!!)

Spent about hour at it removed the 2 outer parts that were left from the front seats rail. Boy it was hard work, I've killed a spot weld drill already!!!

Well its a bit more out, tomorrow will get the centre section out. Then I can get on with removing the rest of the seam sealer inside, then the real fun begins I can seam weld :(