My Troublesome Turbocharged Terror

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers mate, I'm pretty chuffed with the way they came out and can't wait to get them back on!

Oh and the rays valve caps had been nicked before I even got the wheels so they do just have cheap one's on now. :rolleyes:

Nice one man lol.

Two of mine got nicked, then the fake ones nicked too.

eBay jobbies ftw.

Nope I don't sorry. Most of the time its just a normal dump valve sound, but you can also make it do a nice whipshhh (like a whip to start with) or some nice chatter. I like it. :rolleyes:

My msn is now wallaceturbo@hotmail.co.uk, I lost my old one when the computer got hacked into and haven't got round to adding people again, I've got like 5 contacts now!

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a bit of one step forward two steps back with the glanza recently.

After fitting the defi gauges ages ago a small oil leak had started, I correctly assumed it was from the oil temperature sensor and when I set about fixing it I made it much worse! I managed to fix the leak from the sensor but as soon as I started the car up again to recheck it another leak started from the filter housing.:thumbsup: By this time it was late in the day so I had to leave it for then, the next weekend I tried to fix the leak and only succeded in makig it much worse....

Driving the car to work the next week I lost 3 litres of oil in as many days before worrying I had killed my second engine, thankfully I got a new seal for the oil filter housing from toyota and fixed the leak for good, 3rd time lucky eh....

Other recent problems include the clutch slipping becoming much worse, the exhaust now leaking badly from the flexi and subsequently losing power and sounding like an angry vtak over 4.5k.

The other problem - the brakes, I set about sorting this weekend by fitting new rear discs and pads;

CIMG9904.jpg

The horrible and rusty old setup:

CIMG9906.jpg

The the nice and shiny new setup on:

CIMG9934.jpg

CIMG9937.jpg

Then together with a sneaky peak of the Ray's back on the car:

CIMG9941.jpg

CIMG9942.jpg

To further help improve the brakes I als fitted a Cusco BMCS recently, however its not fitted quite right yet as I'm needing the spacer which fits onto the engine mount bolt to fit it properly:

CIMG9949.jpg

However with that lot fitted I'm happy to say there is already a noticeable improvement in the brakes,the bmcs has added extra pedal feel and I'm sure will improve further when tightened properly. One of the rear pads was seized too, so once the new set are bedded and bled it should make a difference.

Finally I've also added a C pillar bar to further stiffen the chassis:

CIMG9943.jpg

CIMG9944.jpg

I can't say I've noticed a huge difference from it but as tesco says, every little helps.....

• 4 weeks later...

Well even since before buying my Glanza I've known exactly how I've wanted it to look - that being an unashamed copy of Mark's (aka www.glanza.co.uk) K24 Glanza, it was always the one I lusted after before I even bought my Glanza nearly 4 years ago.

So anyway the final piece of the puzzle was found a few weeks back in this scruffy looking bumper:

CIMG9822.jpg

I found it on ebay (for a bargain as usual :D ) and wanted it solely for the splitter, I could've bought a replica a long time ago but I really wanted a genuine oem one since they are made of plastic and won't immediately shatter when confronted with a rabbit!

I had to make sure it would fit when I got it (this being the fourth bumper I've had on the car :D) and ofcourse try out the panda look again:

CIMG9841.jpg

CIMG9838.jpg

Finally after an agonising wait with the bumper and splitter away at the bodyshop I picked it up with the splitter having been fitted and neatly smoothed over with a very shiny new layer of paint on it too:

CIMG9956.jpg

Finally after fitting it (in the pissing rain ofcourse) I stepped back and enjoyed the grin enducing new look.:D

CIMG9997.jpg

CIMG9993.jpg

CIMG0001.jpg

CIMG9995.jpg

CIMG0002.jpg

One thing I'm still not suire on though is whether these JAM style carbon eyebrows will be going on or not:

CIMG0006.jpg

CIMG0005.jpg

CIMG0014.jpg

So I'm finally more than happy with the way the Glanza is looking now, there's still a few niggles to sort out to get it running spot on but hopefully soon I'll be just as happy with the way it runs aswell as the way it looks. :D

I absolutely love this car. It must be said, I haven't liked the wheels, I thought they were a bit marmite.. BUT.. I will now take back any comment i've had against them. I can now honestly say, matched with the 98 front end and S bonnet, they really suit that car down to the ground!

Top work, keep the condition going! :)

mate your glanza has came so far from since you first had it, and all im going to say its absolutelly lovely well done mate bet your well proud of it

Cheers mate, I am pretty pleased with it now! :D

I absolutely love this car. It must be said, I haven't liked the wheels, I thought they were a bit marmite.. BUT.. I will now take back any comment i've had against them. I can now honestly say, matched with the 98 front end and S bonnet, they really suit that car down to the ground!

Top work, keep the condition going! B)

Your one of very few to say they don't/didn't like the wheels. :) I do agree that the kit and wheels seem to work really well together now. :)

It looks so perfect :)

I want mine to look something like that in future :(

Thanks bud! Atleast you've got a good head start with yours as it looks great straight out the box! :(

• 2 months later...

Update time!

I'd been stockpiling a few parts to help further improve the handling of my glanza recently and finally got it fitted over the last few weeks, the first lot to go on was this pile comprising a Whiteline 22mm front arb with the poly bushes and drop links, Powerflex engine mount bush kit, Super Pro polyurethene lower arm bushes and some new ball joints and track rod ends;

CIMG0029.jpg

CIMG0052.jpg

With that lot fitted the car felt much tighter overall, the big obvious difference was from the engine mounts giving an increase in vibrations and much more feel as expected,the exhaust note also changed which I didn't expect though. The thicker front arb and poly bushes have really tightened up the front end too with the turn in and direction changes being much sharper.

Next I decided to change the Cusco coilovers (a decision not taken lightly), I really liked them and they did offer amazing handling on the right roads but the damping was just a little too stiff for the bouncy back roads I drive on, so I decided to get a nice new set of the BC Racing BR Type coilovers:

CIMG0032.jpg

These have the same spring rates as the Cusco's but a much wider range of damping adjustment and are more suited to road use. So I fitted these then took it off to get the tracking done (and the new rod ends fited) before I could let them bed in and see how they handled (with the addition of some new tires in the shape of 4 new Yokohama Parada Spec II's aswell);

CIMG0057.jpg

CIMG0066.jpg

CIMG0049.jpg

CIMG0043.jpg

The first impressions with the BC's was that the damping was definately softer than the Cusco's on the lower settings - too soft as the tires were hitting the arches frequently. With the suspension raised slightly and the damping set at the middle on the front the car started to handle very nicely absorbing bumps much better as I'd hoped. The springs are still settling though as the rear is much lower than when first fitted and the fronts have a slight difference in height.

With all the new handling bits on the nice thing to do would be to go for a drive on some good roads - so I did. I took a trip upto the highlands of Scotland last week and the car was quite enjoyable up there, and the scenary wasn't bad either;

CIMG0213.jpg

CIMG0214.jpg

CIMG0223.jpg

CIMG0225.jpg

CIMG0219.jpg

CIMG0217.jpg

Some fine tuning of the suspension settings is still needed aswell as some track time to properly get used to the limits of the cars abilities, as basically I'm too scared to really see how quick it can go round corners on the road!

Looking good mate thats the suspension pretty much sorted now!!

Bet you had fun on the roads where the pics were taken :)

So its a thumbs up for the BC's?? I need to replace my Teins so hope these are good

was wondering when an update on this lovely little runner was going to appear lol

really nice handling mods there bet it feels great! :)

I have my apex coilovers (BC) on 15clicks front and 17-18clicks rear seems to brings the back round a bit better and like you on soft i found over bumps or harsh corners my tires would scrap on the arches.

if the roads allowed i would go harder as they handle great full stiff so if your roads aren't to bad i would go close to 32 full stiff dampening... your car will handle insanely

Looking good mate thats the suspension pretty much sorted now!!

Bet you had fun on the roads where the pics were taken :p

So its a thumbs up for the BC's?? I need to replace my Teins so hope these are good

Cheers, yeah there's not really much more to do in the suspension department so I guess its time for some more power!

The roads are great up that way but as I said I need to preoperly and safely see where the cars limits are to make the most of it. I'd definately give the bc's the thumbs up, I'd say they're as good as the cusco's but with the benefit of the better damping adjustment certainly on the softer side anyway, I'm not sure if they would go quite as stiff as the cuscos could but they're certainly stiff enough.

was wondering when an update on this lovely little runner was going to appear lol

really nice handling mods there bet it feels great! :)

I have my apex coilovers (BC) on 15clicks front and 17-18clicks rear seems to brings the back round a bit better and like you on soft i found over bumps or harsh corners my tires would scrap on the arches.

if the roads allowed i would go harder as they handle great full stiff so if your roads aren't to bad i would go close to 32 full stiff dampening... your car will handle insanely

Its pretty good now yeah, very responsive anyway but I need a bit more time to get properly used to what it can do. 15 at the front seems perfect but I'm still playing with the rears, it seemed a bit stiff and bouncy at the back over 10 but as I said I'm still playing about.:p