My Troublesome Turbocharged Terror

Well my car seems to be pretty fu*ked with no compression on cylinders 3 and 4 so a new (used) engine will probably be going in soon, which means I will have a broken engine to forge next year once funds allow.

So the cars just sitting doing nothing, again, so I got my girlfriend to retrim my doorcards and armrest in some nice suede material to match the recaros. I also got some new mats from ahem halfords and a new custom made gear gaiter (copied from the original) from here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-STARLET-BLACK...1713.m153.l1262

This is how the interior looks with all that lot on:

CIMG9458.jpg

CIMG9457.jpg

CIMG9456.jpg

I'm pretty chuffed with it,it makes the interior much smarter with the retrim and only cost a tenner! B)

Just need the little things like a new engine now.... :D

Will my luck ever turn?! B)

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Slight update, I've got a new engine on the way soon so I've started stripping down the old one ready for removal:

Before-

CIMG9459.jpg

Most bits stripped off-

CIMG9473.jpg

CIMG9470.jpg

CIMG9472.jpg

Some random bits and general mess-

CIMG9467.jpg

Hopefully I'll have the new engine early next week and have it in and running (with a little help hopefully :p ) by mid next week if all goes ok.

I also got some good news in that I'm getting a refund for my bent bonnet from parcel force so a new one will be on the way soon! ;)

Good luck with the engine mate

Hope you get it running ok bud

Thats good that your getting another bonnet

Gary

Cheers mate, hopefully have the engine and a new bonnet soon. B)

dam fubar'd engines!! glad to hear your still at the modding wallace the car looks the bombay!!!!

Yeah its right annoying, I'm hoping that the new engine will bring the end of my problems! ;)

Got a bit more done yesterday and today in preparation of putting the new engine in, everything else has been stripped off the engine ready to go onto the new one and the rest of the earths and bits unplugged:

CIMG9478.jpg

Also got the shafts out, a bit of a pain in the arse but got there in the end:

CIMG9481.jpg

CIMG9480.jpg

So all thats left is to take the mounts off and lift it out with the aid of this:

CIMG9482.jpg

Big thanks to Gary (EP91STARLET) for lending it to me. B)

Unfortunately I didn't get the engine out as I have no chains or straps here and the block is missing the hooks to lift it out with due to the useless garage that changed the head and didn't put them back on! B)

I've got a small pile of parts going on along with the new engine:

CIMG9475.jpg

I'm going to finally get the sexy Blitz clutch fitted and have some nice samco hoses to go on and will be changing the cv boots too as their a bit worn aswell as some fresh gearbox fluid.

Hopefully the new engine will be here on wednesday and fitted and running on thursday, we'll see though....

you don't need the engine lift mate, drop it out from the bottom.

Secure the car HIGH on axle stands.

Secure a jack at base of the gearbox near the flywheel

undo the engine mounts slowly let the jack down it will want to come down the side of the gear box first because the weight and the way the engine mount on drivers side helps keep it up as it needs to slide out that mount.

also have a mate or two to steady the engine on its descent, once on floor a couple of mates should be able to lift the front of the shell if needs be to pull it out.

hope that helps but probably told you what you already know lol.

The buggered engine is out and the new engine has arrived and will hopefully be going in tomorrow! :lol:

CIMG9484.jpg

CIMG9485.jpg

CIMG9483.jpg

I didn't manage to get any work done till after 5 tonight but the engine came out fairly easily (once I'd un snagged the gear shifter cable which got caught!)

So I just need to swap over some parts from the old block to the new and fit the blitz clutch then it will be ready to go back in tomorrow and hopefully all running by friday, fingers crossed for this one!

So near yet so far today! :p The engine could've been in by now if it wasn't for the pain in the arse driveshafts! I've managed to remove both of them with the help of a mate so I could fit new cv boots but now the buggers will not go back in.

Its so annoying as the engnie is all ready to drop back in, I'll be having another bash at it (literally) tomorrow.

I also found this when I removed the old engine today:

CIMG9490.jpg

Looks like an exedy 35% uprated jobby to me, so explains why the clutch never slipped except on the strip, although it was quite worn:

CIMG9491.jpg

I'm sure the new blitz clutch will provide a bit more bite though, if I ever get the engine in that is! :)

Well I got the engine finally in last night just after midnight without too much trouble (bar my mate smashing the garage window :p ), and I've been at it all day today fitting everything back on it.

I've just finished tried to start it and it won't start, then I looked about and there's also a coolant leak which I'll need to take the inlet mani off to get too.

I'm really at my wits end with the car now and really feel like just getting rid, I've had so many troubles spent over 10 grand on it with fuck all to show and now after working on it for a fe days solid the thing still won't work. I'm knackered, dirty soaked in coolant really pissed off and demoralised and there's not even a beer in the fridge. ;)

Here's how the cunt is now though;

CIMG9494.jpg

CIMG9495.jpg