My Troublesome Turbocharged Terror

i wanted to know how you found the engine mounts? i fitted mine and the vibration at idle, its.......IMMENSE. the steering wheel shakes a lot.had to increase idle to make it better

did you notice this? i noticed that gear changes are smoother and steering i slightly sharper.

how did you find them?

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the comments guys. :)

i wanted to know how you found the engine mounts? i fitted mine and the vibration at idle, its.......IMMENSE. the steering wheel shakes a lot.had to increase idle to make it better

did you notice this? i noticed that gear changes are smoother and steering i slightly sharper.

how did you find them?

They did increase the vibration on idle when initially fitted but they've bedded in a bit more now and I don't really notice any vibration at idle now but I am used to the cr being pretty stiff and rattley anyway!

Just read through your entire thread

(Did it on tgtt as the pics on here werent showing up at the start :))

But lookin through this cars one hell of an accomplishment!

Defenitly one of my favourite Glanza's on here

Hope mines a match for it in 4 years time :p

Keep it up man

Lush scenery up there to wish I didnt live in a in a dirty ghetto like area... :p

Just read through your entire thread

(Did it on tgtt as the pics on here werent showing up at the start :))

But lookin through this cars one hell of an accomplishment!

Defenitly one of my favourite Glanza's on here

Hope mines a match for it in 4 years time :p

Keep it up man

Lush scenery up there to wish I didnt live in a in a dirty ghetto like area... :p

Thanks a lot mate, its certainly given me a lot of trouble but is coming on nicely now. I've updated the start of the thread as I had forgot all the pictures had gone due to shitty putfile.

Nice additions there mate, must handle pretty damn well! :p

Cheers bud, yeah its not too shabby now.:p

• 2 months later...

I've got a few more bits and bobs done on the glanza recently, firstly I got my hands on a nice new Defi EGT gauge to finish off my defi collection. I spotted it on ebay, unused and for a decent price so snapped it up;

CIMG0233.jpg

CIMG0264.jpg

CIMG0260.jpg

I have it plugged in but without the sensor fitted, as that will be going on when I get a new manifold...

The next thing was a new radiator as my standard one was beginning to look a little past its best and was almost falling apart, so I got a nice almost new 40mm aluminium one off Ricky on here and wasted no time getting it on;

CIMG0245.jpg

CIMG0246.jpg

CIMG0255.jpg

CIMG0257.jpg

CIMG0256.jpg

Its a nice fit and despite the fact its wider than the stock radiator the slimmer fan frees up a little space and ofcourse it seems to be doing a better job of keeping the coolant temps down. I've also fitted a TRD oil cap that I got off dac69er a while back, however the engine bay is needing a bit of attenion now so I'll be giving it a proper clean soon...ish.

Finally for now it was about time I got the leaking exhaust sorted and at the same time I thought I'd go for a new backbox as I was tired of the old one. So it was back on ebay that I found this nice Trust Power Extreme II box;

CIMG9951.jpg

Again it was unused and at a good price and the fact it was meant for an RX7 and 3 inch bore didn't bother me. So I got a new flexi welded in and the Trust fitted - I originally wanted it fitted with a nice angled exit but there simply wasn't enough space to get it the way I wanted, I'm still happy with how it is though;

CIMG0266.jpg

CIMG0270.jpg

CIMG0267.jpg

I think it looks better than the old slash cut one and best of all it sounds even better too. :)

Unfortunately there's not going to be much more progress on the car for a while as I need to start saving for a house, however I'll hopefuly get the clutch sorted next month then maybe finally see what it can do in the 1/4 mile - as long as it doesn't break before I get there.....

Some nice Ebay findings there mate!!

Although if I am honest I dont like the exhaust much, its a tiny bit too big for the back of your car and the angle doesnt look right.

But as long as it sounds good :)

Its the same size as the one that I took off but just straight cut so it looks bigger, its 4 1/2" which is pretty much the norm for the jap exhausts. It does sit slightly downwards but it looks worse in the pictures (especially the second one) than in the metal, but it definately sounds better - really loving it now. :)

great work as always Wallace! wouldnt expect anything less from you!!!

all the best with saving for a house dude!

Phil.

Thanks mate, got to start trying to prioritise and all that nonsense! :)

nice mods there mate.

how much was the radiator from race tech?

Cheers bud, I got the rad second hand fronm Ricky aka sx_turbo not racetech, as above you can get them off ebay for around £170 but they don't come with the slim pacet fan.

Looking good bud,

Seen you pulling away from the shell garage, sounds really nice!

Keep it up

Gary

Cheers mate, sorry I didn't stop to chat but was in a rush to get home, was gonna ask you how it sounded!:lol: Oh and the ep80 looks like a monster! :(

• 6 months later...

Quite sometime without an update as the Glanza has been a little neglected over the winter, being mostly kept off the road, however I finally got round to a couple of things...

Firstly a few weeks ago I finally got round to attempting to fit this;

CIMG0473.jpg

A replacement ORC 309D friction disc, to go in my Blitz Active clutch. The slipping from the old clutch had become quite rediculous so it was well overdue! Fitting it should have been straight forward except I ended up having a nightmare getting the box back on the engine after everything had been changed - I just couldn't get the shaft through the clutch hole. Somewhat ironically (and embarassingly) my girlfriend was the one who eventually managed this after myself trying numerous times, a mate of mine and some random who actually works for toyota (no names mentioned to save embarassment! :D) all giving it a good go.

Some photo's during the change;

CIMG0506.jpg

CIMG0480.jpg

Whilst the car was sitting up on axle stands refusing to accept the gearbox I also set about fitting my new coilovers - this has become a slightly routine thing since this is now the 4th set I've had on the car! :)

The set in question are some MeisterR Zeta-R coilovers;

CIMG0491.jpg

CIMG0492.jpg

CIMG0494.jpg

CIMG0493.jpg

After hearing a few reviews on these - specifically from people who like myself mainly drive on rough b roads, they sounded like the kind of suspension I had hoped the BC's I had previously would be - that is one's which can handle bumpy roads with out trying to throw you straight off them.

My initial impressions and what I had thought previously were that they look to be copies of the BC's, with the general construction being very similar with some small differences here and there;

CIMG0495.jpg

CIMG0498.jpg

I had my doubts whether they would offer much improvement over the BC's but finished fitting them and finally the clutch too;

CIMG0501.jpg

My first thoughts as I attempted to reverse the car out of the garage was that the clutch was now much heavier... and easy to stall with, 3 times easier to be precise since that's how many attempts it took me just to get out the garage. :p:)

I now realise why people say this clutch is difficult to drive with everyday as compared to when it was well worn it is much more "bitey" and has a very small amount of travel on the pedal. However it does feel very good between the gears and now that it has a few miles on it, it is easier to drive with.

The Meister's didn't have me hugely impressed to start with, they did feel slightly better than the BC's but not by much. After letting them settle for a few weeks though they've softened up nicely and after getting the alignment done today Iam very impressed and happy with them. They offer much better damping than the BC's (and hugely better than the Cusco's I had before) and actually absorb bumps instead of bouncing over them, mid corner bumps are dealt with much better too giving much more confidence when pushing on.

Overall a big thumbs up for the MeisterR's! :p

CIMG0585.jpg

CIMG0584.jpg

CIMG0583.jpg

Now that the handling is well and truly sorted it has highlighted the one area that really needs improved on my Glanza.... the brakes. :p

very nice to see an update on this mate, the last i heard you were having engine trouble was it?

Looks as sweet as always ;)

Cheers mate, no the only recent problems was getting that bloody clutch done. This engine is running good just now - "touch wood". :wacko: