My Troublesome Turbocharged Terror

Good to see an update mate!!

Clutch looks awsome, and LOL @ the mrs showing you how its done ;)

Good to see a review of the Meisters from someone with such experience with different coilovers :wacko:

So brakes are next on the agenda?

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see an update mate!!

Clutch looks awsome, and LOL @ the mrs showing you how its done ;)

Good to see a review of the Meisters from someone with such experience with different coilovers :wacko:

So brakes are next on the agenda?

Thanks mate, it was a bit emabarassing when the gf managed after me failing so many times plus she's tiny, but tbh but that time I was juts glad it was finally in!

Yeah I'd say I'm in a fairly good position to give some feedback on the Meister's afer trying quite a few setups.

The brakes are definately one of the next things to do, I could've had them sorted by now if I wasn't saving for a house but I had to restrain myself - they need doing soon though, athough I may sneak on a little something else before them!

very nice buddy, really is a stunning looking glanza! love it. ;)

Thanks bud, it's needing a good clean just now but does look much better on the Rays after being on it's winter wheels for the last few months.

The damping is a lot diferent from the bc's to the meister's, even set harder than the bc's the meister's are much more compliant and actually absorb bumps but still give good roll resistance and body control.

The bc's were good but not as good as the meister's, for the use I want them anyway.

great to see an update dude!!! been way too long!

also, 4th set of coilies?? wow!! u are clearly a man of the highest standards! BCs for sale? just curious.

anyways, real good to see an update man!!! hope u get to enjoy her this spring/summer!

and your GF is clearly Rambo...clearly! kudos to her!

Phil.

great to see an update dude!!! been way too long!

also, 4th set of coilies?? wow!! u are clearly a man of the highest standards! BCs for sale? just curious.

anyways, real good to see an update man!!! hope u get to enjoy her this spring/summer!

and your GF is clearly Rambo...clearly! kudos to her!

Phil.

Cheers Phil, BC's are sold and gone already. I am a bit fussy about most things but I think I'm finally happy with the suspension now. Definately a good choice.

I would have got the alignment looked at before splashing out on new coilovers, and by that I dont mean caster/camber etc. I mean all the spring prelaod, corner weighting and the likes. Kenny Brown in Hillington is the dogs bollocks for it.

Thats the beauty of coilovers, so much adjustment to allow you to set them the way you want.

Cars looking good. Who has set up your Meisters?

Tbh there's nothing that could've been changed on the bc's to get them like the Meister's are now, it's down to the fundamental damping characteristics - the bc's just have harder shocks. The spring preload was at zero as the meisters are now and changing anything else with regards to the alignment may make it handle differently but it wouldn't change the way the car handles bumps.

The damping really is completely different on the meisters comparedto the bc's, same as the bc's compared to cusco's. They all have nearly identical spring rates but the damping is completely different.

I had it set up at target tyres in perth, the guy there knows what he's doing as he does the alignment for all the cars that go to awd motorsports (I've heard that Kenny Brown is very good though but perth was more convenient). It's not quite as thorough a set up as doing corner weighting but thats a long and expensive procedure and really wouldn't make much difference on a road car.

• 1 year later...

I can't believe it's been a year since I've made any updates on this!

The glanza (and the forum) has been a bit neglected for a while due to the purchase of a house in July last year and being busy with my job.

The winter last year was a cruel one for the glanza with it being parked up for most of it on the street and turning into an iglo, it didn't turn a wheel for at least two months (it wouldn't have got very far in the snow anyway) and by the time it did the brakes were horribly rusted on the back and the recaros had even gone mouldy! :)

Move onto March this year and I got her roadworthy again and through the mot - all it really needed was new rear discs and pads which I was glad to hear. So with it back on the road there was a couple of bits I was wanting to do;

First thing was fitting a zisco manifold complete with external wastegate which had been lying about for at least 2 years now. Having seen the state of some mild steel zisco manifolds just after being fitted I knew the paint they use isn't up to much so I blasted and painted the mani with some proper high temp paint and also got a boss machined and welded on at my work for the fitment of my defi egt sensor, to go on with the mani I had a turbosmart external wastegate with small zisco screamer pipe.

Fitting wasn't completely straight forward due to the wastegate exhaust runner on the Zisco mani fouling both sensors on my blitz decat so these had to be "manipulated" out of the way and some of the nuts are even tighter to get to than the standard mani but there wasn't any major problems.

CIMG0584-1.jpg

CIMG0577.jpg

(Yes the rocker cover needs repainted with some proper heat resistant stuff!)

CIMG0598.jpg

Tight fit...

CIMG0585-1.jpg

I wasn't sure how this was going to sound with the screamer - loud is the answer! I understand the comments about wet farts now as it does have a strange rasp, to me it sounds like a leaking gasket but I'm starting to get used to it now, before the screamer opens the exhaust note is much "cleaner" though.

There is definately a bit more poke and no more boost creep now however I haven't been able to reduce the lag much which I'm slightly disappointed about - I thought I may be able to tune the Profec E-01 a bit more but the setting I had it on previously seems best suited to the external wastegate.

The only other thing I've done is given the whole car a good clean again - clay bar'd, polish'd and wheels sealanteded;

CIMG0601.jpg

CIMG0604.jpg

CIMG0606.jpg

Not much done for now but I have a few other bits waiting to go on so hopefully will have another update soon....

Looking good as ever mate!

I hear you about the external wastegate, my mate asked me was my exhaust blowing :) :)

The difference in boost holding is crazy though :)

Kinhell fire an update !!

Id assumed youde outgrown it and gone sensible like most do ha !

Welcome back :)

Nah its gone too far now to get rid - too much money and time spent on it, I have a sensible volvo for the daily drive though. :)

Looking good as ever mate!

I hear you about the external wastegate, my mate asked me was my exhaust blowing :) :)

The difference in boost holding is crazy though :)

I was checking the gaskets on the screamer to see if they were leaking to start with! I didn't really like the noise either but I quite enjoy it now - it's also one of the loudest cars I've ever heard!

Yeah it's sorted the creep on my wee ct9 which had got quite bad so I'm looking forward to seeing how it is with a slightly bigger snail.;)

Cheers guys.

Whats the plan tubby wise then? ;)

Love my screamer tbh although I miss the effortless ct9 chatter lol

My chatter has completely disappeared with the screamer too, just get a strange loud noise that I can't describe when you back off slowly just a sort of "brmmmmmmmmm" :p

Turbo will be revealed soon....ish. :p

lookin good man wot u reckon to the meisters compared to the bcs ?

ride softness and road holding ??

Much better on both counts, the key word is "compliant" they just ride better over bumps giving better road holding.

Cars still looking sweet as after a bit of a wash :)

I was up in Scotland a few weeks ago and I SAW IT!

Don't know where the hell I was really as I went on a bit of a climbing holiday we went climbing by this big graveyard with this field with what looked like a bit of a cricket pravilian or sumin next to it with this crazy kiddies pirate playground. Anyway after climbing we left and headed back through the little village and made a wrong turn and ended up driving past your car!

Was mucho wowey as I'd had my eye out for starlets ever since we crossed the boarder and yours was the only one I'd seen the whole time!

Only saw it briefly as we drove past but I was just like ohh my god!!!

Reflets, Rays and an S bonnet! Must be yours :)

Anyway just thought I'd say I'd seen it lol

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update....

I'd been worrying about my oil temp for a while now as it seemed to be higher than it used to be for no reason - I was easily seeing 95+ just cruising on the dual carriageway and then when on the back roads giving it a lil stick it would rise to over 100 pretty quickly, so an oil cooler was required. Handily the girlfriend very kindly got me this for my birthday last month:

DSC_3026.jpg

DSC_3027.jpg

DSC_3030.jpg

A speedflow kit complete with mocal thermostat - not the cheapest kit but I wanted one which was good quality, since a leaky connection from a cheap fitting or burst hose could spell disaster for the engine.

So a few weekends back I set about fitting it - in the garage due to it being a lovely rainy day!;

DSC_3034.jpg

First I stripped the whole front end off:

DSC_3035.jpg

Then I mocked up the cooler and cut some brackets out of aluminium angle and also a new bonnet stay from a bit of flat bar and fitted them up (with all new stainless bolts- almost every bolt I took off to get the bits stripped was seized or sheared!):

DSC_3037.jpg

DSC_3038.jpg

Unfortunately thats about as far as I got that day due to this:

DSC_3040.jpg

The sandwich plate wouldn't quite fit due to the power steering bracket, I did anticipate this but thought it may squeeze on as it's not too big a sandwich plate however the main work was done in getting the cooler mocked up. So fast forward a week later and I did this:

DSC_3067.jpg

Attacked the bracket with an angle grinder, not much needed to be taken off, just a slight skim. So with that done I fitted the sandwich plate and hosed up the cooler:

DSC_3070.jpg

The hose lengths I'd specified were just the right length but the intercooler needed to move forward slightly to let the hoses pass behind - I also needed to bend the oil cooler brackets to angle it back away from the cooler, it's certainly a tight fit with the intercooler back on:

DSC_3074.jpg

I've not actually given the car a good enough run yet to check the oil temp but I'm sure it will do the job. At the same time as fitting the cooler I also tidied up the intercooler and fitted some new stainless jubilee clips and wrapped the pipe to the throttle body with some reflective tape as I had noticed that the pipe was touching the radiator hose, you can just see the wrap here:

DSC_3086.jpg

DSC_3085.jpg

The observant amongst you may have spotted someting else that I've added:

DSC_3087.jpg

Bonnet pins - not for the s bonnet though but a lovely cruise bonnet I got off Shortys now broken (Rip) Cruise kitted glanza!

DSC_3018.jpg

DSC_3022.jpg

I've always wanted one of these and when I seen Shorty was breaing his V I had to have it, so huge thanks to him. We were both very worried about the postage of this but it got to me in mostly one piece - unfortunately the corners at the windscreen got slightly damaged but they will be repaired eventually. I'd say it still looks awesome fitted though:

DSC_3058.jpg

DSC_3057.jpg

DSC_3081.jpg

DSC_3060.jpg

DSC_3059.jpg

The only problem with the bonnet is I now definately need to re-paint my rocker cover since you can see it through the vent - but only on sunny days ofcourse!

So the exterior of the car is almost perfect in my eyes now - just some wider fenders and wheel spacers to finish it off, but maybe a bit more power is needed before that.....

Looks SWEEEEEEET mate!

Loving the bonnet :thumbsup:

Thanks, so am I!

Sad to see that this was off Shorty's motor, but it looks awesome man congrats - excellent work fella

It is sad to see any good project get broken but I'd say the bonnet has gone to a good home. :)

Very nice addition Wallace mate.

Joz

Thanks Joz, a set of wings like yours next and I'll be happy.

Looks lovely mate! If you could pm me the link from where you got your oil cooler kit, or if you know where to get braided hoses and fittings that would be ace mate! :(

The website is speedflowshop.co.uk they have loads of fittings and you can get complete kits with lots of options.