Right, Been on hear for almost a year now,

my first car was a red N/a ep91, which i love driving about in.

This got me fasanated with all things starlet and decided to get a project car to fix up and hopefully make into something abit special.

This is my first project and one of the main reasons for it is to build up my experience with cars and engine's. and sort of a father son bonding thing :p haha.

any ways

this week i bought a Black GT turbo.

if i said it was mint i would be lieing. but its got a few months MOT and TAX and it was a bargin.

at the mo it has

- poor alloy wheels

- poor electrical bodge jobs

- cone air filter

apart from that its basicly standard

When i got her she was only firing on 3 cyclinders

gave the spark plugs a quick clean and that was an easy fix for the missing cylinder

now as it stands, its hunting quite bad, when it drops down to ~400rpms the turbo starts to kick in befor is picks back up to ~1000rpm mark.

can anyone help on this?

anyway some pics:

gtturbo005.jpg

Engine bay in need of alot of TLC

gtturbo003.jpg

This is a pic of both my starlets (:

gtturbo004.jpg

and hear is a vid of my car idleing if anyone can give any advice it would be much appretiated (sorry about mum asking if i have carbs, :p )

th_gtturbo002.jpg

comments apretiated, hopefully car will be running sweat soon. :)

LOL, your mom sounds hot. B)

"mmmm carburetor" B)

Check the throttle body/idle control/etc... the throttle body might just need a good clean.

On the other hand, it still doesn't sound like it's running on all four even though you've cleaned the plugs up, have you checked the rest of the ignition system?

LOL, your mom sounds hot. B)

"mmmm carburetor" B)

Check the throttle body/idle control/etc... the throttle body might just need a good clean.

On the other hand, it still doesn't sound like it's running on all four even though you've cleaned the plugs up, have you checked the rest of the ignition system?

Haha you have no idea, if you met her your deefo wouldnt be saying that.

yea the kiddy i bought it of said maybe the ICV, give it all a good clean over the weeked, getting new plugs and Lambda sensor. the kid i bought it of said that the dizzy cap and rotor arm had been resently replaced and has new magnicore ht's.

My dad sugested advacing the timing a little, can you do this buy rotating the dizzy?

i know what you mean about not sounding like its on all four, but its deffo different to when i picked it up. it wierd if you give it a bit of revs it sounds like a scooby, which cant be good. sounds cool tho ( :

vacuum leak?

Yea spooke to my curent departments boss and he said to check all through the pipes to see for any cracks, diddnt get a good look at all of them but over the weekend ill have a proper inspection.

cheers for the comments lads

YES!!!!!!!! im liking it mate

run down GT's FTW B)

looks like your doing the same as me. I've had 2 GT's now i bought them absolutely naffed and i just love bringing them back to good health

will be keeping a good eye on your build mate glad to see someone else with a passion for restoration lol

Cheers for the comments,

@Liam D, Did you sorce the new ICV from toyota? yea previous owner said it could be that, hopefully it just needs a good clean, fingers crossed.

YES!!!!!!!! im liking it mate

run down GT's FTW B)

looks like your doing the same as me. I've had 2 GT's now i bought them absolutely naffed and i just love bringing them back to good health

will be keeping a good eye on your build mate glad to see someone else with a passion for restoration lol

thats the plan mate, coming into more money soon and missis probly leaving for university ) :

but that means more time & more money to spend on this, cant complain.

yea keep an eye out mate B)

Suppose id better put up my build thread aswell then! Mine was similar to this. My photos dont upload though, something about being the wrong type? Came off my Sony Satio. Any ideas lads? Good start with a GT mate, defintely build up the know how, ive learnt heaps aftr having mine! Keep it up! B)

defently the idle contol valve mate this happend to me so i bought a new icv and worked a treat!! i have a 4 months old idle control valve what i paid £103+ VAT if you interested by the way 50 deliverd? i have the reciept from toyota still....

i dont own a starlet anymore so dont need it.

PM me if interested...

Suppose id better put up my build thread aswell then! Mine was similar to this. My photos dont upload though, something about being the wrong type? Came off my Sony Satio. Any ideas lads? Good start with a GT mate, defintely build up the know how, ive learnt heaps aftr having mine! Keep it up! B)

Yea man get a build thred up, will be good to see.

hmm what upload thing do you use? i just used photobucket, bit of a piss take as i cant see my photos at work becasue they blocked the website. Yea learning every time i open the bonnet B) .

defently the idle contol valve mate this happend to me so i bought a new icv and worked a treat!! i have a 4 months old idle control valve what i paid £103+ VAT if you interested by the way 50 deliverd? i have the reciept from toyota still....

i dont own a starlet anymore so dont need it.

PM me if interested...

PM'd mate, again thanks so much for the help much appretiated!

cheers

Im sure i tried transferring it straight from documents to the website for my avatar and it wouldnt work?

If your uploading an avatar then you should be able to just get it from "my computer", or wherever its saved.

hmm. B)

Hunting idle sounds like ICV but the sounding like a scooby is NOT good, I would do a compression test, mine souded the same when I melted a piston, and so did my mates.

Bought it off a guy in Swansea didnt you?

Recognise it.

Hunting idle sounds like ICV but the sounding like a scooby is NOT good, I would do a compression test, mine souded the same when I melted a piston, and so did my mates.

Bought it off a guy in Swansea didnt you?

Recognise it.

Yea, got a new ICV comming soon. no it was becasue it was running on 3 cylinders, sorted it out now.

but yea may do a compression test just to see whats what.

small update, was looking round the bay for a while today, found out why it was running rich. Must have resently had a new throttle body gasket and whome ever fitted it had for some reason forgotten to put the choke plug back in the socket.

so doesnt piss fuel which is good.

:)

hopefull the new ICV will sort out the doddgy idle, then she should be running sweet.

more updates soon.

• 2 months later...

BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!

HAHA had nothing to do at work so thought i would get my ass into gear and update this thread.

FINALLY got the GT insured and on the road, using it as my daily as cant afford to insure both ep's.

First day taking it to work, locked myself out while she was running.

(left it to warm up)

so had to smash the window ) :

then got to work and got repeated call outs from reception telling me the alarm keeps going off. had to disconnect the battery to shut it up.

Not a good start.

any ways, improvments:

Replaced the drivers door.

Changed wheels over from my N/A

Fitted new ICV

Fully stripped rear, (PM me if intrested in any seat belt's, plastics, JDM spare wheel ect)

disconnected and removed dodgy wiring and poor bodge jobs in the interioir of the car.

So yes, Updates will be coming more frequently (rather than not at all) :huh:

will upload some pics later when i get home.

Also, does anybody know where i can get hold of the mounting brackets for the front bumper? (the onse below the headlights that the wings are also connected to, any help appretiated.

Ah I think I saw this on pistonheads!!?.... Idle problem like everyone else is saying, is probably the idle control valve. Failing that, try changing the fuel filter? If its ran out at some point it could run like an absolute dog from past experiences :)... Get her cleaned up mate! Looking forward to seeing some more progress :)