Show me your Catch Cans!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick question on this as i cant see any of the pics when im at work :/

I understand the pcv>catch can>to inlet manifold with a check valve between the catch can and inlet manifold part of it....

But.... I dont understand the other side really well, the line from pre turbo intake to rocker breather.

If on boost and the turbo is pulling the air into the turbo, will it not pull contaminated air from the rocker breather and in through the turbo and contaminate the charge there instead of up at the inlet manifold??

Maybe a very stupid question but id also like to get my head around all of this hahaha

Cheers lads

Just a quick question on this as i cant see any of the pics when im at work :/

I understand the pcv>catch can>to inlet manifold with a check valve between the catch can and inlet manifold part of it....

But.... I dont understand the other side really well, the line from pre turbo intake to rocker breather.

If on boost and the turbo is pulling the air into the turbo, will it not pull contaminated air from the rocker breather and in through the turbo and contaminate the charge there instead of up at the inlet manifold??

Maybe a very stupid question but id also like to get my head around all of this hahaha

Cheers lads

That's why you ideally would have a second catch can in that line too.

Oki cool cool,

Im pritty sure i understand it now :lol:

So is everyone saying the best set-up would be using two cans on both the breather and pcv valve???

Thanks alot lads

Yeah buddy, two tank method is the ideal way. :lol:

Thats what ill be doing then as atm i dont have a set-up at all haha

What catch tanks will be ideal for this set-up, a vent to atmoshpere or just a normay sealed can???

2 port catch can on both mate

So basically when i start my car for the first time the whole engine is going to explode and im going to die as the catch can is done wrong!

I have no idea how im going to do mine then????

I have the race tech inlet manifold so it doesn't have a adaptor for the hose. Then i have a race spec rocker cover with gutted pcv valve..........so im doomed! :lol:

In the last few days I've put some more thought into trying to use one catch can to catch the oil/blow by/water vapour from both pipes. It is possible but there is a little more plumbing and you need 3 check/non return valves. The advantage to only using one can though is you only have to empty one can and you save a little space!

catch2.png

Gavin

Now I'm lost!?! I thought the flow on both breathers was out? Not one going in?

Jamie

As said before when everything is stock fresh air is drawn in on the right (n/a) or front left (on turbo) when there is vacuum, it's to help draw the gases out! When there is not vacuum gases flow in the other direction.

See post 96 in this thread.

Gavin

thats the 1 but i was not even going to try and explain this setup. i know it can be done but i had not even fronted it yet, good work gavin this is the 1 can way.

which makes the racetec look like a total bodge job.

chris

now all the lads making air filter relocation kits needs to incorp this to thr kits or eles thy next on my hate/hit list hehehehehe

thats the 1 but i was not even going to try and explain this setup. i know it can be done but i had not even fronted it yet, good work gavin this is the 1 can way.

which makes the racetec look like a total bodge job.

chris

Cheers Chris. It's a little plumbing crazy but it works!

I hope I have not confused the rest of you too much.

Gavin

With the system below when there is manifold vacuum, that vacuum draws fresh air from the intake tube through the valve cover then through the catch can and into the manifold taking blow by with it. When there is no vacuum the pressure in the crankcase has to find it's own way out (it does not have a vacuum or fresh air to help it) through the catch can and into the intake tube. Its all to do with the check valves, some are open and some are closed.

catch2.png

Gavin

But there is still vacuum in the pipe between the filter and the manifold, so that would draw air from the crank case in the first picture...but with both those 1 way check valves, in the first picture the only port doing anything for the rocker cover is the one going directly to the catch can.

But there is still vacuum in the pipe between the filter and the manifold, so that would draw air from the crank case in the first picture...but with both those 1 way check valves, in the first picture the only port doing anything for the rocker cover is the one going directly to the catch can.

There is very little or no vacuum in the intake tube because of the pressure difference across the throttle body butterfly. It's something to do with the Venturi effect so i've read.

Yeah the blow by always goes down the same pipe in this setup, you could run as many pipes directly to the catch can as you like.

Gavin

2011-06-17100051.jpg

This is the portion I am confused about. Only when the system is under vacuum does this not make sense in the way I see it drawn in your diagram.

If the Intake Filter is sucking in air from an outside source, then any hole along that pipe is going to create air flow in the direction of manifold...and the crank case is pressurized, so along with that and the vacuum, how is it you would get air flow from the intake pipe to the rocker cover?

Just looking for clarification cause this makes no sense to me when looking at it from a Fluid Dynamics stand point.

2011-06-17100051.jpg

This is the portion I am confused about. Only when the system is under vacuum does this not make sense in the way I see it drawn in your diagram.

If the Intake Filter is sucking in air from an outside source, then any hole along that pipe is going to create air flow in the direction of manifold...and the crank case is pressurized, so along with that and the vacuum, how is it you would get air flow from the intake pipe to the rocker cover?

Just looking for clarification cause this makes no sense to me when looking at it from a Fluid Dynamics stand point.

Because of the pressure difference across the throttle body butterfly the vacuum in the manifold is stronger! Stronger vacuum means flow in that direction.

Gavin