Taggys EP70 Boxy, Forged TD04, 5E-FTE

Cleaned up the engine bay today and taken most the bits which are not needed, dad is cleaning up the wiring loom for me and chopping out the sections which are not needed, as I only need the engine management side.

While hes doing that, I am going to look into some how moving the brake servo from the ep82 to the ep70, its twice the size so should help considerably with the braking side of things.

wow, excellent progress. i can not wait to see more, i want one!
  • Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh my my, isnt my Granny mobile getting treated today. Just received my spanking new WMS brakes and on looking at them out of the box its like christmas come early, The car is going to bloody stop on a dime with these things, 4 pots in a 700kg car! ha ha!!

brakes3.jpg

brakes2.jpg

brakes1.jpg

Ordered the WMS brakes, with yellow stuff pads, braided lines, nice discs and the rest of the gubbins to go with it. Cant wait to get these puppies on!

Thanks Keri, the Mrs can sleep downstairs im off to bed with these lol

Awesome dude, i reckon youu should just turn it into a slag, strip the whole car down. bolt on arches and some old skool JDM wheels

I honestly think you need a cage mate. if you crash it will fold like a tin can. A cage is a must mate!

Well these are going on the EP82 GT today for the cars maiden voyage at Castle combe this weekend. After that the hard graft starts on getting the conversion done. Looking forward to the weekend and scumming the car for the last time ;)

your a lucky bloke, youve had it all of a couple of weeks and your converting allready!!

how old are you with what ncb and what company are you going through to get that insurance quote????

great job, loving it, will have to compare 70's at the next show we both go!!

Yeah that would be sweet, i bought it as a project so its going to get done through the winter i reckon. See how it goes, i have got 8 yearsNCB and im 31 lol so it makes for cheap insurance :lol:

£109 classic car insurance, brilliant!

your a lucky bloke, youve had it all of a couple of weeks and your converting allready!!

how old are you with what ncb and what company are you going through to get that insurance quote????

great job, loving it, will have to compare 70's at the next show we both go!!

Ok so since the GT has got a wallop at castle combe, its now 100% on for the conversion, so got cracking today with the electrics.

Me and my electrical expert mate Leon decided on a double loom combination so the EP70 would keep its original loom to power everything in the car, but the EP82 loom would also go in to power the engine and management.

This gave us the problem on how to power the ignition for both looms as it would mean we would need two keys!

A bit of digging around on the internet gave us the ignition wiring diagrams for both cars and we have now linked the EP82 loom into the ignition of the EP70 (so the boxy starlets original ignition will power up both looms on turn of the key).

Haven't tested it yet but im hoping it works!!!

Took the dash out today to get the electrics ready, unbolted everything (there are loads of bloody screws, most of them hidden)

1.jpg

Out she comes!

2.jpg

Bare and simple behind the dash, i love the way EVERYTHING is mechanical, no computers in sight!!

7.jpg

Next was to wire in the EP82 loom ignition to the EP70 ignition, so the cars factory key would fire up both looms at the same time, used wiring diagrams to match up the wires to the correct ignition points.

I managed to get the wiring diagrams for both cars for the cars ignition in the cabin :thumbsup: (Its that square top left of the diagram we are interested in, rest of the diagram we dont need!)

For anyone else doing this, the diagram tallies up with the ignition wires by letters for the EP70, IGN1, IGN2, ALT 1, ALT 2, etc and numbers 1-8 for the ep82. You just need to match the wires for the coresponding letters vs numbers. If you look on the plugs on both cars for the igntion they are also marked the same so you can tallie it up :thumbsup:

3.jpg

Leon doing some fine work soldering it all in

4.jpg

The finished product, useful for anyone else doing a conversion as it shows which EP82 coloured wires match where on the EP70 ignition barrel. This is the part which is on the back of the cars ignition.

5.jpg

Tried to test the spare loom out of the car to see if it works, but there are to many extra plugs to get in, so we are going to have to take the dash out the EP82 and then plug it in to see if it does the job. A long bloody process, spent all day just to get to this point!

6.jpg

More to come in the week :D

Next Job is to remove the EP82 dash to test my new ignition loom to go into the ep70.

More progress :lol:

Took the dash out of my EP82 GT tonight to expose the cars loom which i need to unplug for the inside part and plug in my custom ep82 loom I wired up the other day. With any luck when i turn the key on the custom loom it should start the car.

If it does then i have just jumped a huge hurdle and got the electrical side figured out and i can go ahead moving it into the ep70 ready for the engine.

IMAG0137.jpg

I'll be testing it tomorrow when there is more light.

A little vid of me work!!

http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/m...t=VIDEO0049.mp4

th_VIDEO0049.jpg

Decided I am gonna start doing video diaries too of this build, its so much more interesting to watch someone build somthing, rather than just look at pictures. You can get a feel for hard craft going into it! lol!

Finally i have cracked the electrical nut I have been piping on about for the past few days. I have now got the EP82 loom to start with the key of the EP70 and also the ep70's original loom will also fire up to run the cars electrics. So effectively the car will now have two looms.

Thank fook for that, i was starting to go mad looking at so many wires!

First test!!

http://youtu.be/ol7YHovtOCI

How I wired up the ignition :)

http://youtu.be/5MQpcrv8rPg

Good times, tomorrow i'll put the wiring into the EP70

More electrical work :)

I have just moved over the loom into the EP70 now so its now wired in for both the engine bay and also inside the car, I just need to put the dash back on which i am doing this evening :(

EP70 (boxy starlet) 4EFTE Turbo conversion part 3: EP82 Loom Electrics install into EP70

http://youtu.be/4amELHxKJnI

EP70 (boxy starlet) 4EFTE Turbo conversion part 4: EP82 Loom Electrics, engine bay&inside car

http://youtu.be/gJcoVy1O1N8

I'll be glad to get the electrical side out of the way, its quite tedious!

My my i have been busy today :)

Got the dash back in

IMAG0144.jpg

and the ecu is in the ep70, a foreign bit of technology for this old bird!

IMAG0145.jpg

With the electrics mainly sorted now until i can test them when the engine is in, I am considering moving the ep82 brake servo into the ep70, purely because its twice the size and will no doubt give better braking force. So i think thats my next task to do :(