Taggys EP70 Boxy, Forged TD04, 5E-FTE

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a break in the rain this evening and the sun came out for an hour so ran out to do some work on the car, every time i look out the window i feel like i need to do work on it :)

I have have managed to get the 3rd final engine mount in without drilling anything, which i am bloody well chuffed with, didnt think it was gonna fit, but it just needed LOTS of persuasion with a jack :p Well chuffed.

So engine is in on the mounts, I also removed the now redundant power steering pump, belt and brackets, so more power to the crank which was not only heavy as hell but made loads more room in the engine bay.

I also removed all the driveshafts, brakes etc off the ep82 ready to go onto the ep70 when im ready to fit it.

So a good for just an hours work!

Here are some vids of what i got upto for your viewing pleasure.

EP70 (boxy starlet) 4EFTE Turbo conversion part 8: Engine mounts fitting advice (its bloody tight!!)

engine.png

http://youtu.be/BIQHRfBNhm4

EP70 (boxy starlet) 4EFTE Turbo conversion part 9: Redundant power steering pump removal

http://youtu.be/0UQMETn3NFI

bit shit anout the bolt but as you say she's in thats the main thing. love the progress on this already keep it up ;)

Errrrmm my next task is to start plugging everything back in on the engine bay, so thats fairly easy, gotta change over the suspension and the rest of the stuff so its more labour intensive rather than complicated.

The only two hurdles i need to jump are a few bits and pieces with the electrics rigging up dials and quite a biggy is the petrol tank. The petrol tank in the EP70 is designed for a carb car so its no good for a turbo charged car as its not baffled and will promote fuel surge (air in the fuel lines, which is bad for the engine) (plus the fuel pump wont fit in it).

So i have got a race fuel tank which will go into the boot, but i will need to extend the fuel lines to reach to it.

I am happy the engine is in now, its just a matter of time now connecting the rest up.

weeey its in! this is guna be crazy!

what big jobs are left to do now then?

What would a day be without more updates :)

Plugged in 80% of the engine, hooked up the suspension, coilovers, brakes, lines, changed a duff track rod end for an EP82 one (they are different, check out video) and put on the steel wheels to have a look at what the suspension sits like.

I havent changed the rear yet only the front, but it gives a good idea on how she looks. I think it looks bloody mint already and strangely i havent really done anything, just changed the ride height and bigger wheels.

Yummy!

Before

ep70.png

After

(should look even sweeter once i fit the rear coilovers, ran out of time today!)

IMAG0024-1.jpg

EP70 (boxy starlet) 4EFTE Turbo conversion part 10: Track rod ends

http://youtu.be/EjkXtk-ovjQ

I have to say i love this car, i am having so much fun with it and i havent even driven it yet! I can see me being done at this rate in no time at all

love this car :) if it was me id strip the rear and such and get a cage for it even if it was just black so it doesnt stand out massively thing is gonna fucking fly esp with u behind the wheel on a track day :p be intresting to see what its end weight is aswell

Yeah i am curious to find out that too! and yes so far I haven't had to make anything custom, had to drill the suspension bolt holes about 2mm bigger but thats it. Driveshafts fit fine, track rod ends and hubs all fit with no messing around.

I stripped the Ep82 and i found it ruined the car to the point I didnt like driving it as a daily, it was so noisy and bumpy it ruined it unless it was on a track, i want a motor i can go on the track and cheesin in too :)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a brilliant weekend working on the car, after a shit week with electrical problems which were depressing the hell out of me, we managed to fix it :( Turned out it was a bad earth to the gearbox which was causing the problems, thank god its fixed :p

Electrics are now setup so the car will turn over on the key, haven't plumbed in the fuel lines yet but thats next on the agenda.

Got the rear coilovers on and the car looks a proper sleeper now mwhahaha

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

Next on my list of jobs is the fuel tank, the standard tank on this car isnt suitable for a turbo car as it doesnt have any baffle or swirl pot, as shown here inside my ep82 fuel tank.

You can see the plastic pot which allows fuel to sit in it even if you bank hard so you dont get any air in your fuel lines (making your car run lean).

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

Luckily i have bought Nightspirits custom made fuel tank so I am in the process of plumbing it into the boot.

IMAG0073.jpg

Walbro fuel pump fits straight in :D

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

Now i have got to run fuel lines some how to the front of the car!! argghh

Nice one lads, i still got quite a bit to do before it will drive

1. Somehow i need to fit in a FMIC into it, there isnt much room in the front

2. Drill in brackets for the fuel tank and run fuel lines

3. Civic rad brackets need to be fitted

4. Oil cooler needs to go in somewhere!

5. Tidy up the loom and cut out all the redundant parts as there is loads of unused wiring.

6. Wire in the engine sensors to the oil skool console, i.e oil pressure light, oil temp, fuel sender.

and errm buy some new pants when i drive it for the first time lolz

just read start to finiish and hats off to you sir EPIC on a massive scale

lewis

Yes i might actually look into this, doing the fuel lines for this is a bit of a cahoont. I will have to take both fuel tanks off and compare, but looking underneath i think they are completly different shape.

Might have a go tonight and see what i can do <_<

Can you not use the 82 tank on these aswell? Might be less hassle than doing the tank in the bot?

i text that lad after dude, and he didnt get back to me so if your up this way soon could you pop the lines up please and ill just put them in while my engine is out <_<

oh and as soon as my cars sorted ill be down for a nose at this :p and maybe a passenger ride if its done lol

No probs, i think i might be working up near Newport later in the week so will see if i can get to you.

Craig

i text that lad after dude, and he didnt get back to me so if your up this way soon could you pop the lines up please and ill just put them in while my engine is out <_<

oh and as soon as my cars sorted ill be down for a nose at this :p and maybe a passenger ride if its done lol

Sparky: Yeah i know im gonna struggle to fit it all in, tight is a bloody understatement, i have been looking it at it today though and i think i can still do it with some creative piping <_<

Socks: yes got a civic rad in it, sits in nice, not on the bottom brackets though unfortunatly, gonna have to make a bracket for it.

Love or hate the steels, its all about grip for me (this is my sleeper track car after all :p)/, i could put some mint wheels on it but i think it would go away from the sleeper style i want. Maybe once i am bored with sleepin i'll put some smart rims on with stretched tyres B) (they also need a spray black too :D)

As for today i have been working on the fuel tank and getting the lines to the engine bay, took a look under the car today to see what i was dealing with

The tank it held on with 2 bolts and two straps, a filler going into the tank plus a breather then also two fuel lines going to the front of the car (which is great because i can use these rather than running long lines my self)

Pipes going into tank

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0081-1.jpg

Pipes going out

IMAG0082-1.jpg

Got the tank off fairly easy and straight away i could see problems even considering using it for the 4e-fte

IMAG0083-1.jpg

First off its a completely different shape to the ep82 tank, the fuel pump hole is completely different size and also if you cut into it to use your own Walbro pump, the tank isnt physically deep enough to get it in, plus ontop of that there is no swirl pot. So in the bin that goes, surprisingly though the tank weighs virtually nothing i was expecting it to weigh about 10kg but its probably half that.

Looking at this tank and then looking at the ep82 tank it dawned on me that if i did try swapping the tanks over it would be a fairly difficult job to secure it properly and without a ramp to work on i have decided to not do it while having the race tank available.

You can see the depth difference here

IMAG0085-1.jpg

I'll be honest i am not mad about running the car with the fuel tank inside the car, worried about worst case scenarios in a bad crash and the tank getting pierced and then fuel inside the cabin, i'll have to work that one out later, but i am sure i will think of something :D

So i just need to hook up some rubber piping to the rear lines to connect the tank and lines and we should be good to go to start the old bird!