Tropical fish

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice tank! what size is it?

theres 2 of those lionfish in my lfs, i thought they were big but that looks massive!

i just took back a little aip eating filefish, borrowed it to help with a small aiptasia outbreak in my other tank, right ugly little guy but he set about that shit in no time.

tried aiptasia x first but it was bleaching the rocks

Its about 400ltr tank bucket, i wanted the bigger one but couldnt find it at the time.

Some lions do get massive, he still has a bit of growing to do.

The aptasia x is good but takes too long, and with lions its a bit risky, might have bleached the rock if you were using too much.

Ayr the wee file fish are ugly but they do work, would love to put one in there but dont know what the big lionfish would make of it, be afraid of him having a go and it getting stuck in his throat lol.

G it is another addictive hobby mate, wish i had the money and speace too

lion fish!

we used to have a huge tank, went from tropical, to marine for a very short time,far too much pissing about and the parents got pissed off with it then back to tropical before getting rid.

marine was my fav though, our fish shop had all the poisonous and aggressive fish, which i was never allowed :D wanted a lion fish and porcupine fish.

still want piranhas too, so may get my own one day.

• 2 months later...

totaly forgot about this thread!

i added a yellow tang it brought whitespot with it! lost all my fish:( but the yellow tang pulled through in a QT tank. the tanks been empty for weeks to let the whitespot run its cycle and i reintoduced some new fish today

a new pair of clowns (which are tiny!)

yellow tang

pygama wrasse (seen him 1ce since i put him in lol)

some new pics of my wee tank,

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

this is whats stopping me building my car, its costing me a small fortune!

Edited by bucketep91

loooking good man, i see a staghorn coral and some buttons, they look real healthy, we always had problems with them in ours.

shame about the white spot dude. i never understand how the fish can be lifted from the wild, shipped around the world, held in a wholesalers, shipped to the stores and kept in the stores all white spot free, yet the 30 minute trip from the shop to your house is what gives them the white spot....it makes no sense.

i even got it in my fighter tank once, its a real prick!

unfortunately we lost BOTH lion fish in the last week, so dads tank is pretty empty right now. unsure of its future.

my big tropical one needs more landscaping that a bloody garden! plants grow like mental!

Phil.

yeah the zoas and toadstool where put in a few weeks ago because i was bored having nothing to look at while there was no fish lol, i had a beautifull torch coral with 5 heads but it wasnt doing well, neither was the other that came with it in my lfs so i got my money back. I also added a UV steriliser and running it 24/7.

fish shops will always have a bigger system with lower salinity and in some casesuse medicines such as copper which all help keep parasites at bay , so it kinda explains it, what i didnt get was the white spot didnt appear for over a week after the YT was added.

sorry to hear about the loinfish mate:( its a real scunner losing fish puts me in a right bad mood.

Edited by bucketep91

i dunno what it is about keeping corals but they're harder to get right than the damn fish at times! mark was running a UV sterilizer for a while too on our tank and it didnt really seem to make much difference. corals are such a chore.

yeah its a drag, only leaves 2 yellow tangs, the flounder and the comet grouper with a Cowie and two hermits.

and we definitely have a mantis in the sump, mark heard him when he was home last week but i cant spot the wee bastard, but at least he's down there and not in the main tank! dad is pretty undecided about the tank right now, its either going completely or turning tropical. the giant metal halide bulb is just way too expensive to run, leccy bilss have got silly with it.

Phil.

all my water params have been pretty stable latley esp with it being a young tank, these little bits and bobs ive been adding are real easy to keep and seem to be doing well, there were actually 2 toad stools on that little rock but the other got way to big and detatched, its in my other tank strapped to a new peice of rock with an elastic band :D will put it back in when it re attatches properly.

halides are a bit overkill if hes not keeping corals no? has he tried LEDs? thats what im using and they are silly cheap to run.

dont kill the mantis! try and get some pics:D

i had a pistol shrimp in my small tank that i never seen but could hear it clicking away every night, was always scared it could be a mantis. its in my cousins tank now (in a piece of rock i gave him) paired up with a goby and he sees it regularly:(

did anyone spot the starfish? was told by my lfs it might not last very long but ive had him for over a year now!

yeah stars can be a real wanker too. we've lost quite a few of them.

the halide was bought when there were still corals in there. and sorry man but if catch that mantis its going in our septic tank! see the fucker survive that!

just home from a run to the two local shops, first was bunged and we dont like it anyway, went to Exotic Aquatics in Belfast then. I got 13 cardinals and some foods, dad had a good chat with the manager who we know pretty well thanks to mark, and i think its been decided.

converting from marines to tropicals. what type of tropicals is as yet undecided, perhaps some brackish jazz for shark cats, but either way, the marines will hopefully be taken in and then i will have the task of starting the sump and light conversions. should be a good learning experience on how to set it all up without having to rely on mark to do it for us, although poor mark will be hounded down the phone no doubt when i get stuck...which i will lol.

Phil.

I went for a look round today as didn't have much on didn't go with the intention of getting anything but as once place were over stocked with neon's and were selling ten for a fiver thought it rude not to have 20. Fella at the fish place was sound ended up giving us 24 as he couldn't be arsed to count them all lol :thumbsup:

Will try and get some this week mate glass needs a clean but want the new fish to settle in a bit first before i start cleaning.

It's a 200l bow fronted Rena tank.

Been trying to resist getting another as i'd like some puffers but it's all extra work.

ok some of mine from tonight.

as you see can compared to earlier pics in the thread, the vegetation has really taken off, especially the moss. unfortunately the nice pink plant i put in was utterly shredded by the shrimp, seems i need waxy finishes to tolerate them feckers! you will also see that yesterday i had to relocate one of the fighters into the breeding trap, the shrimp in his cell were battering his fins, wee bastards.

DSC_0075-1.jpg

you wouldn't guess there's easily well well over a hundred fish in there if not 200 from these pics!!! useless! i mean, there are 40 or so blue rasboras, about 50 odd mosquito rasboras, about 60 neons, 19 cardinals, a danio, a bunch of ember tetras, ottos and pygmy corries in there! so much hiding! lol

DSC_0076.jpg

adult RCS

DSC_0079.jpg

decided to cheat to bring them out of hiding, a little flake goes a long way...

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

i think next time i'll get a rake of ember tetras again, they are far less shy than the neons and cardinals, but man i do love cardinals.

Phil.

The UV helps on a tropical setup by killing bacteria, it does kill all bacteria though mate as you know so both good and bad get killed but only what passes through it so the good in the tank and filter are ok.

Was given it by a mate like i said and he was having good results on his tropical setup seems like everything in fish keeping you get lots of different advice and conflicting advice depending on who you talk to just seems best to find out what works for you.

Edited by Simon

my dad has a £500 UV light setup on his tropical tank for the above reason and it works a treat, the water is so nice and clear, hardly any algae and the plants are booming :)

a win win if you can get it working right :)

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update

Got 4 tanks running at the min

Il List everything first then get some Pictures up

1) Community Tank

2x Full size Angels (Active Breeding pair)

1x Smaller angel

2x Black widow Tetra

2x White Molly

1x Black Molly

1x Orange Marble Plec

1x Chinese algae eater (Roach)

2x Virginae Corydora

1x Aquatic Frog

1x Rock Shrimp

2x White shrimp

2x Rams

1x Dragon Gobie