Tropical fish

me??

no. bit expensive that bollocks mate. i have done some reading on it though, and it does interest me, but for the plants / moss i have right now i dont need it, the substrate and carbon fertiliser is sufficient. if i were to plant carpet or foreground grass type plants i would need it.

Phil.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meant to add to my post (cheers for the zoidberg love by the way :) ) if anyone is getting live plants for the first time i would really really recommend buying a clown loach, or 2 or 3!!! they are nice looking fish, but more importantly they feed on snail eggs, if you have any in your tank!!! i changed from plastic to live plants, and even though i washed them they must have had eggs on, i had sooooooo many snails after a few weeks i literally scooped out 70 - 80 tiny snails, after i got the loaches i never saw a snail again :)

Oddbal46.jpg

you can buy them small for about 5 quid, or bigger ones for about 15...

yeh clown or kulhie (sp) loaches will batter them.

i had the same problem, however, i have red cherry shrimp in mine, so loaches are a no no. what EVENTUALLY worked was i killed them with my finger for weeks, then the bigger shrimp realised "ohh, om nom noms", then, bye bye snails.

however, i have a planaria problem. they're not parasitic, but fucking uuuuuuuuggggggly!!

Phil.

well took my ass to Exotic today.

got me 2 planted T5 bulbs, will get a third one and a fresh blue bulb next month hopefully. also got some food supplies and have also ordered an inline heater so i can remove the internal boyo from the tank.

took 10 more ember tetras too while i was there.

hopefully with the planted bulbs i'll start seeing renewed growth in the plants, although they're growing like crazy as it is, but mainly im hoping to see the fish more because the marine white lights were too bright and scaring the poor buggers into hiding.

going in there is gettin more and more like going into a sweetie shop. the more i get into this whole scene the more i wana learn about and know about! they tried to convince me on some golden headed purple harlequins today, but gonna stick to just neons cardinals ember tetras and rasboras ottos and pygmy corries for now. dont want it looking all mish mashed. the fact that the neons are south american and the rasboras and red cherries are Asian is bad enough lol.

Phil.

love it

i know what you mean dude im really getting obsessed with this now, getting into the breeding side of things too. going to start breeding livebearers for now i think. slowly but surely. mollys, guppys, swordtails, platys maybe some endlers etc. Got a pair of breeding angels too so going to start getting some spawning nets made up for them. cant wait

you're a braver man than I dude. other than the red cherries, i dont wana go anyway near breeding lol. I've no idea what i'd do with them all lol.

keep us posted on how u get on with it dude, it'll make for very interesting reading and u can hopefully provide us with a few tips if maybe some of the rest us do try it one day.

Phil.

Ate deffo mate for sure

Well wanted to show you my new guy. Went to the LFs today for a spawning tank. Mollies ready to drop and don't want the fry getting eaten this time. While we was there my Missus spotted a very nice looking tail in one of te pipes in the tank. Was an automatic water filling pipe that pumped fresh water round. We got the owner and asked what it was all we could see was pure white with a few black spots. I had a hunch it was a syno as I'm pretty up with my catfish at the min. Anyway after ten mins of trying a few things he let go and come hurtling out the pipe. Straight into the tank where he keeps his big blue tropical lobster (which I keep trying to persuade myself I don't want :p) as soon as he came out I knew what he was and said il have him.

Here he is

cabe0234.jpg

Synodontis Multipunctatus

He's only a pup so at the min he's gone into the tank with the Ageneiosus sp(3). Eventually when he grows up He'l go in with the other synos (euptera and filamentosa)

How cool is he though I love him :)

• 1 month later...

a quicklittle video of my tank nd a couple of pics of the newbies

cleaner shrimp

IMG_0461.jpg

this is "arnie" the arrow head crab, hes about 3 inches accross. hes awsome to watch. hes soed out a few nudibranches for me too wich was a bonus!

IMG_0463.jpg

an a video (hope this wrks)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...bed/nccITYILm3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

charlie

Edited by bucketep91

If anyone wants any tropical fish stuff let me know, I have got co2 setups, filters, uv lights, lots of fish that need a good home :) and a 700 litre tank with a custom cherrywood surround that was made by sunseeker boats :) I'll upload some pics later

i used to work in a tropical and marine fish shop, got a 7 foot reef tank now :p any problems, give me a shout. only tropical tank ive got is a tiny 25 litre jobby, full of java moss, red cherry shrimp and a few galaxy rasboras (tiny buggars). used to keep a nice planted tank with breeding blue rams, had musk turtles for a while too.

galaxy rasboras/celestial danios are MINT! i have one left over from mark, they're like tiny little trout!

Steve - we need pics of all your setups! now!

i have no updates for my big tank other than that i have removed the power head and installed an additional spray bar and relocated it to the rear side of the tank. reason being, most of what i have in there (fish wise) is amazonian, and as such doesn't like strong water flow. it was also causing my java moss to go all fucked up. since i turned it off i have noticed the RCS are out alot more and there are TONNES of them lol, but still only low level movement from the neons/cardinals/embers/rasboras.

so im thinking of adding some hatchet fish to add higher level movement, but would need to fashion a cover that still allows light through without condensation, i.e. a plastic grid same as my dads. also, needs a load more ottos and maybe some corydora habrosus that have come into my LFS recently at a good price. also tempted by some sunkist shrimp and maybe some galaxy rasboras. I have also ordered an inline heater, so in the picture below, the power head is now gone, and soon the internal heater will be gone too. minimal intrusion aquascaping FTW!

DSC_0021-1.jpg

as for the fighter tank, things aren't so hott here. I have removed the corys as they should never have been there in the first place. I lost my big white and purple marble Veil Tail which i was gutted about as it was the nicest fighter i'd ever seen, and at present i have 4 rather poorly looking bettas too. the only one who seems ok is the big Crowntail. Levels are fine and regular decent water changes and pump cleaning, and now adding health booster which seems to have improved one of them, but still. bit gay. if they all go i may break it down until I eventually move house as otherwise relocating this thing will be a disaster as it's bottom drilled. also, never again installing it below a low shelf, makes cleaning a wanker!

now, onto new business. as u all know, my dad had a 400L marine tank. well, we now hate marines as we simply couldn't get them right. even with the right lighting and an external sump and UV steriliser and reactors and skimmers it just wouldn't take. so, lesson learnt, we are staying away from marines. the marine set up was broken down and stripped out (i have it all for sale if anyone wants anything) and the fish taken into Exotic Aquatics. I then cleaned down the tank and the sump and cabinet and return pump, and with Mark at the other end of the line, we rebuilt this 400L badboy, tropical stylee.

First I put down aquasoil, followed by nearly 25Kg of natural gravel. This was followed by several branches taken from the garden, which as they are black thorn, are very tough and dense, and are taking FOREVER to waterlog. an entire bag of alfagrog was added into two chambers of the sump, the heater set for tropicals, and believe it or not, i scooped in the beginning of the water with a small plastic tub so as not to disturb the soil before feeding in the water via the overflow box, again to prevent disturbance. this mofo was then cycled empty until up to temp, and i began by adding the corys from my fighter tank one at a time over the course of a week to start the bacteria growing. and now a few weeks on, we have one fighter, 2 albino corys, 2 corydora Reticulatus, one corydora habrosus, 20 X-Ray tetras, 11 ember tetras, 48 wild green neons (oh yes!!!!! tough to get) and 8 wild caught blue rams (i gotta say, the colours of the wild caught ones are simply breathtaking! we cleared the shop out in one go of them!!!). Amazon swords, bacopa (sp), some tall vallis grasses and a random plant have all been added, although the rams appear to be doing some munching. picture of the overall set-up below. we still need to buy and install a proper light for the plants and remove the halide currently being used, and obviously those horribly out of place looking rocks will be coming out in about 3 weeks (they are weighing down the wood until i am 100% sure it's water logged).

DSC_0003.jpg

Phil.

Phil.

Awesome stuff Phil, lots of rare and obscure oddities :)

Have been admiring this thread for a good while now and everyone has some top class setups!

I maintain the 3ft 180gal at work and as you can see, most of them are keen on ninjitsu :ph34r: (see vid)

Have some more live plants going into it next week.

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

Based on amazon/african biotype with a siamese fighter.

2min 50sec vid I took earlier - http://s79.photobuck...nt=MOV00092.mp4

Behind the filter is a royal plec and the fighter isn't your usual veiltail :)

Hope you all like as I'm sure you will all see some very familiar faces!

Topic pinned because it is lush.

Joz

I've had the Sino (synodontis nigrita) since he was a finger pup :) Had a big decorus and another big nigrita but donated them to a larger tank time ago.

Angelicas are nice, had one years ago too. Stevo your Multipunctatus is stunning man, be proud :D

The mini corys are napoensis and the other group are agassizi Steve, one big sterbai, one metai (bandit) and other individuals have been there over 4 years!

I usually buy them in pairs but they often get separated :( Far happier in groups that's for sure where allowed.

The elephant nose seems to run the place Phil and even puts the sino in his place, he's kinda been demoted since the L.nose arrived.

9x Cardinal tetras

1x Black Neon :ph34r:

9x Diamand Tetras

9x Silvertip Tetras

5x Congo Tetras

1x Royal Pleco

2x Clown Pleco

1x Pleco Sp.

1x mini stone throwing pleco haha

1x Gibbiceps

1x Bristlenose Ancistrus

1x crowntail fighter (will get a better pic)

1x Elephant L.Nose

1x Synodontis

1x Hoplosternum cat

& the corys

Quite a lot of fish but everyone seems to have their own space.

Regular gravel cleaning is a must.

Joz

Phil I also had a very bad experience with the long multi chamber betta tanks :(

No matter how clean you keep the tanks and maintain them, an epidemic always seems to spread.

Few more pics and short vids I took whilst bored at work which I thought were worth sharing :

Hoplosternum Cat

DSC00113.jpg

Pleco Sp.

DSC00115.jpg

CT Fighter Footage

th_MOV00109.jpg

Rare (doesn't come out often) Royal Plec Footage

th_MOV00114.jpg

Enjoy (I'm not an L number fan honest :huh:)

Joz