Whats the benefit?

lag will be the main difference and at 1.1bar the tdo4 will make around 210-220. as my above comment states if you where running a forged engine the tdo4 will far out way the benifit of the td04 but on an unforged engine the ct9 hybrid is king in my book :p

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with shorty for the main part but not so convinced on the hybrid for country roads thats all we have around near me and i cant fault the td04 at all on them as long u no how to drive it to the road conditions. now i can only realy speak for country roads but 1 massively overlooked thing when people go for speed/power from starlets is the all to common ill strap a big fuck off turbo on it to go faster when in reality a stock ct9 with some good handling and braking mods would shit on almost any starlet thats just had a td04 slaped on and the boost wound up but thats a diffrent thread all together :p

1 massively overlooked thing when people go for speed/power from starlets is the all to common ill strap a big fuck off turbo on it to go faster when in reality a stock ct9 with some good handling and braking mods would shit on almost any starlet thats just had a td04 slaped on and the boost wound up but thats a diffrent thread all together :p

A fucking men to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and dont get me wrong I've ran a few different hybrid ct9's, td04 and a vf24 and all are great if you know how to stay on the boost through the bends :p

A thing to note is that most stock ct9s have a cracked wastegate and are way past their best by now. So do you spend hundreds on a hybrid or get a tdo4 setup. The CT9 option just doesn't make sense to me. Heard if so many of them breaking stock and hybrids.

A thing to note is that most stock ct9s have a cracked wastegate and are way past their best by now. So do you spend hundreds on a hybrid or get a tdo4 setup. The CT9 option just doesn't make sense to me. Heard if so many of them breaking stock and hybrids.

Mines spotless:) No cracks or anything, no shaft play. Ideal for whacking the boost up

D

x2

The cost of a Hybrid set up is what put me off, and they don't last for long either

Some great replies so far.

Best advice so far is to max out your ct9 with supporting mods as its so inexpensive to do so and go from there.

Figures don't really mean anything besides the overall delivery and feel/application to the driver :p

There will always be someone faster than you and there is always room for improvement.

I've only had the td04 running for over a week but as a general drive I find it pretty sweet and this -> :p on my face.

Joz

to put it simply td04 is awesome power when set up right......however i think 220bhp on a hybrid with all supporting mods will be more than enough to keep a smile on your face zo

i had it on my white GT and i loved it was more than enough for me and i liked sticking to the CT9 im a bit of an old faithful to the standard turbo. dont get me wrong nothing puts a smile on my face like getting in Mr socks car and experiencing that GT28 light up but it was still good to get back in mine and have the hybrid pull me past a lot of things on the road

Stick to ct9 i say :p

ohh my god!!!!...this has started a right debate lol

and just to set the record staight i no i need supporting mods and a whole lot of other little bits first ....which i am working on but the question just popped in my head so i thought i would ask need to no what im saving for :p

to put it simply td04 is awesome power when set up right......however i think 220bhp on a hybrid with all supporting mods will be more than enough to keep a smile on your face zo

show me 1 car that reached 220bhp on a hybrid ct9? without having to piss about with bigger injectors and a regulator...

and if you do piss about doing that, you may as well go td04! the beauty of the ct9 is they will do 200bhp out the box... a hybrid will set you back £350-£450 for an extra 10bhp? may as well just buy a TD04 for £50-80 off ebay or stick with stock turbo...

my 2pence,

the gt spec hi flow turbo is marketed as a replacement for all the ageing ct9s out there, its bolt and play and at the same time will replace some of the lost top end on the standard ct9 with the bottom end and produce slightly more power than oe spec.

its only designed to take 1-1.1 bar as it uses a tiny core.

when you factor in the cost of a new ct9 from toyota(1023gbp) then you might see that it represents decent value

its easy to say go tdo4 its not totaly straight forward. requiring a total change in setup. + trying to find a used tdo4 that isnt screwed is also more of a comen problem that some tdo4 users are facing at the moment.

the td12 is designed as a proper hybrid and the creme de la creme to all the ct9 purists, u

will get past 220bhp reliably as it uses a much thicker core/shaft wheel from a td04 based turbo, therefore able to take more boost than 1.1 without unbalancing itself.

a bit of exciting news. . . .

mr tong is working on a new turbo for our market that will have both the ct based flange and td based flange,

plus its ball bearing .

il post up more info as it comes to market.

Zoe, to answer your question, for and good set you need:

Turbo (choose wich ever one you like)

uprated manifold and decat (to suit your chosen turbo)

Some form of boost control (manual or electronic)

You may need:

External waste gate (more stable boost control, stops creep. The mani/decat would need to support external wastegates)

Bigger injectors (if you plan on a bigger turbo with more boost)

Ecu/fueling control (piggy back/standalone/fuel pressure reg and fuel cut defender/plug and play)

Fmic (id recomend one no matter what turbo you use tbh)

Front mouted air filter kit

Bigger bore exhuast (2.5" to 3" is most common size)

This will increase your power that said always consider the other things you may need such as bigger/better brakes, better suspension, stiffening bars ect

the gt spec hi flow turbo is marketed as a replacement for all the ageing ct9s out there, its bolt and play and at the same time will replace some of the lost top end on the standard ct9 with the bottom end and produce slightly more power than oe spec.

its only designed to take 1-1.1 bar as it uses a tiny core.

when you factor in the cost of a new ct9 from toyota(1023gbp) then you might see that it represents decent value

its easy to say go tdo4 its not totaly straight forward. requiring a total change in setup. + trying to find a used tdo4 that isnt screwed is also more of a comen problem that some tdo4 users are facing at the moment.

the td12 is designed as a proper hybrid and the creme de la creme to all the ct9 purists, u

will get past 220bhp reliably as it uses a much thicker core/shaft wheel from a td04 based turbo, therefore able to take more boost than 1.1 without unbalancing itself.

£1000! No one would ever purchased a new turbo from toyota u can buy a gt turbo for that these days :/ ... If you pop a ct9, they can be picked up in healthy used condition for sub 100quid, Im even selling one atm thats in perfectly useable condition for £50...

to go td04 youd need a manifold, downpipe, oil feed and return.... Zoe has non of these for the ct9.. So she's not got to replace anything... She would still need a manifold and downpipe for the ct9...

ct12 is only ext wastgate? which is alot more money...

you can convert to td04 for the same price as a new hybrid ct9...

babe, do you want to run more than 200bhp? Because I get the impression you're not that bothered?... if you don't, don't bother with a different turbo. You can easily get 200bhp with the standard turbo and it'll be fine... When I sort my manifold out or get back to roughly 200bhp, I'll let you have a mizz around the back roads and you can decide if its enough :p

£1000! No one would ever purchased a new turbo from toyota u can buy a gt turbo for that these days :/ ... If you pop a ct9, they can be picked up in healthy used condition for sub 100quid, Im even selling one atm thats in perfectly useable condition for £50...

to go td04 youd need a manifold, downpipe, oil feed and return.... Zoe has non of these for the ct9.. So she's not got to replace anything... She would still need a manifold and downpipe for the ct9...

ct12 is only ext wastgate? which is alot more money...

you can convert to td04 for the same price as a new hybrid ct9...

was just posting up info to the op in this thread.

im just using the costings as a comparision and yes there will be people out there not clued up that would actualy forlk out that for a new turbo not knowing anything. . . .

iirc zoe could port her manifold and gut her cat then whats cheaper then?

id never buy used when it comes to turbos.

going on that basis factoring the cost of a new tdo4 whats cheaper then???

regardless im not entering into a debate about whats better and cheaper as there are loads of options,

im just supplying info to the op.

was just posting up info to the op in this thread.

im just using the costings as a comparision and yes there will be people out there not clued up that would actualy forlk out that for a new turbo not knowing anything. . . .

iirc zoe could port her manifold and gut her cat then whats cheaper then?

id never buy used when it comes to turbos.

going on that basis factoring the cost of a new tdo4 whats cheaper then???

regardless im not entering into a debate about whats better and cheaper as there are loads of options,

im just supplying info to the op.

this is what forums are for. forking out £1000 for a new ct9 without research and shopping around is madness.

personal preference... id be quite happy to buy a 2nd hand turbo off a trusted member, or a decent breakers...

porting the stock manifold would get rid of the risk of popping cylinder 3, but they are no where near comparable to a tubular... I had a ported manifold before i got my zisco ram horn on my ct9... the difference was unreal...

as for the cat, gutting it out leaves a big empty casing, not exactly the best for flow, which is exactly what you need with high speed exhaust gases of a turbo'd car imo...

Id be suprised if a gutted cat and de-restricted manifold got even close to 200bhp :p

everyone is entitled to there opinion, the question was asked, everyone has there own opinion... she can deside whats best...

enzo am i wrong in thinkin the cheapest turbo you sell is a td04? At the end of the day zoe its what u want n use car for? Mainly fun then prob td04 or similar. Daily prob td04 due to better economy. Being slower than Adam ct9 lol

i no i need supporting mods before i think off a better turbo i need/would like:

front mount

adjustable atuator

boost gauge

boost controller

an exhaust that isnt like swiss cheese

uprated manifold

bigger breaks (whats the point in haveing the power if you can stop it)

relocat my air filter....

i could go on

and i will always be slower then adam :p but that doesnt bother me his driving is insane he needs more power or he will get board lol

good debate tho so crack on ...just wanted to know what the differance was and i'm staying with CT9 for atleast a year or so. Steve hit the nail on the head really id be happy around 200 bhp that was always my first mile stone to reach