Whats the benefit?

And then once you've got past, you'll then have to change gear and the whole spool up starts all over again lol. Very rich words coming from someone who's considering going back to CT9 lol. Everyones different though lol, I prefer the response to just one big kick. But then again, you I may change my mind over winter lol

D

spool time from 2000rpm to boost. and inbetween gears is very different....

if i beef my car, rev it round to 6500-7000rpm change gear, there is no delay it kicks you back again straight away...

depends what gear your in, if you can drive ct9 wont stay anywhere near a td04 :)

however, zoe... go stock ct9 or td04! but as i said supporting mods first :p

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spool time from 2000rpm to boost. and inbetween gears is very different....

if i beef my car, rev it round to 6500-7000rpm change gear, there is no delay it kicks you back again straight away...

depends what gear your in, if you can drive ct9 wont stay anywhere near a td04 :)

however, zoe... go stock ct9 or td04! but as i said supporting mods first :p

Its the pickup thats different, the CT9 comes on boost far quicker, whereas the TD04 being a bigger turbo, takes longer. If you can change gear quick enough to keep the revs high yeah I could see it being close. Good thing with the CT9 is you dont need to rev it that high. As with the TD04 you do to make the most of the boost.

Be interesting to see a CT9 against TD04 with similar supporting mods against each other.

D

i was going to go down the hybrid route but happy i went for the td04 was worried about lagg. tbh its no were near as bad as people make out and only time ull notice it is from a standing start. only had a chance to to test it agaist the 2 local lads who had stock ct9s the lagg was the last thing on my mind as i flew past them and that was at 1 bar on a plug and play

Its the pickup thats different, the CT9 comes on boost far quicker, whereas the TD04 being a bigger turbo, takes longer. If you can change gear quick enough to keep the revs high yeah I could see it being close. Good thing with the CT9 is you dont need to rev it that high. As with the TD04 you do to make the most of the boost.

Be interesting to see a CT9 against TD04 with similar supporting mods against each other.

D

Bit of a bad example cus the td04 starlet launched off boost... soon as they were out of 1st gear tho, made the ct9 starlet look like it was going backwards... and racing in 1st gear is no kind of race :)

Not that much quicker to come on boost... if you cant change the gears fast enough to keep the boost up then you cant drive lol... even granny shifting if you rev to 7k and change you'll be well within boost for next gear :p

i was going to go down the hybrid route but happy i went for the td04 was worried about lagg. tbh its no were near as bad as people make out and only time ull notice it is from a standing start. only had a chance to to test it agaist the 2 local lads who had stock ct9s the lagg was the last thing on my mind as i flew past them and that was at 1 bar on a plug and play

the people that moan about lag is the prople that clearly havent been in one :p

Bit of a bad example cus the td04 starlet launched off boost... soon as they were out of 1st gear tho, made the ct9 starlet look like it was going backwards... and racing in 1st gear is no kind of race :)

Not that much quicker to come on boost... if you cant change the gears fast enough to keep the boost up then you cant drive lol... even granny shifting if you rev to 7k and change you'll be well within boost for next gear :p

the people that moan about lag is the prople that clearly havent been in one :p

I'm happy with the CT9, once I get bored of that then i'll be looking at other options. One thing I do like about the TD04 is the drivability at lower revs, suppose if you're revving that high you could hold the boost, but just depends on driver and the car.

D

I'm happy with the CT9, once I get bored of that then i'll be looking at other options. One thing I do like about the TD04 is the drivability at lower revs, suppose if you're revving that high you could hold the boost, but just depends on driver and the car.

D

the ct9's are good for over 200bhp.... (guide in my sig) all day long...

but the td04 offers more power, more torque at a lower/safer boost level. If mapped correctly will be better on fuel too!

Go out in one with a td04 bolted on it, you'll be VERY suprised... :)

^ this worth spending the extra for a proper map. nothing agaist the blitz ecu i used but since getting it done on emu u notice an instand diffrence on power and the amount of trips to the petrol station u make. and launch control isnt to bad either :)

^ this worth spending the extra for a proper map. nothing agaist the blitz ecu i used but since getting it done on emu u notice an instand diffrence on power and the amount of trips to the petrol station u make. and launch control isnt to bad either :p

because plug n plays arent designed for td04's... :)

I'm running a bar with a TD04 blower and BLITZ ECU. As said above, not really the best setup out there but still, the only lag i notice is idle to 3krpm+. Anything else then your either in the wrong gear or taking a year to change up a gear :)

I'm running a bar with a TD04 blower and BLITZ ECU. As said above, not really the best setup out there but still, the only lag i notice is idle to 3krpm+. Anything else then your either in the wrong gear or taking a year to change up a gear :p

the money u cud sell the plug n play for u cud get a 2ndhand emanage blue and have it mapped :)

the ct9's are good for over 200bhp.... (guide in my sig) all day long...

but the td04 offers more power, more torque at a lower/safer boost level. If mapped correctly will be better on fuel too!

Go out in one with a td04 bolted on it, you'll be VERY suprised... :)

Yeah I read it, Upto 200 they're fantastic but after they lose their edge. I can see where you're coming from in regards to lower boost levels. Suppose i'll make my mind up sooner or later lol

Went out in a TD04 Glanza and the lack of response from low revs was quite noticable, especially round town

D

D

When my GT was 0.8bar CT9 on Mine's ECU, stripped..on the way to Japfest I had a play with Sparky's TD04 at 0.6bar stock ECU, left me for dead lol

Went in it as well, there wasn't much lag and fcuk me it made CT9 feel like a joke, needless to say that was when I decided to plan a TD04 future :)

td04's are not laggy where do people get this from?? i used to run an evo td05h 16g that had a bit of lag but you just get used to it. it was pretty savage when it came on boost though!

i had a race with a glanza running .6 on a tdo4 and me at .7 on my hybrid and he struggled to catch me, he did eventually but it wasnt as though he smoked me as people are making it sound as though would happen :S tdo4 has more potential, no doubt about it but a hybrid running 1.2 would keep with a tdo4 a a bar i reckon

i had a race with a glanza running .6 on a tdo4 and me at .7 on my hybrid and he struggled to catch me, he did eventually but it wasnt as though he smoked me as people are making it sound as though would happen :S tdo4 has more potential, no doubt about it but a hybrid running 1.2 would keep with a tdo4 a a bar i reckon

shit map then... td04 if mapped properly would have bummed you... not just about boost!

theres no point fitting a td04l unless your going to run 1bar or more. all this .6/.8 bar on stock ecu ect is a waste of time. get the boost turned up and mapped on something decent.

shit map then... td04 if mapped properly would have bummed you... not just about boost!

he was on stock ecu with supporting mods as was i! :p so in my eyes was a fair enough race and from what i can remember there was no bumming going on :p lol

If you're comparing 1 bar or more then a TD04 will be better. If you're talking stock boost levels then there's no need for the TD04.

But at higher boost/power levels, the TD04 will be a much better choice.

Remember the biggest restriction in the exhaust system is the turbine housing itself, the CT9 being smaller will cause more of a restriction.

Everything being equal, all the same mods, both turbos at 1 bar, the TD04 will be better as it can simply flow more air and is more efficient. Obviously this is within reason, as you could say a TD06 could flow more air but you just have to consider the desired power level etc...

In my opinion there's no point going for a turbo upgrade "just for the sake of it" too many people seem to build cars only to strip them weeks later. Do you have a target power figure in mind? If it's below 190bhp then you will be fine with the CT9 but if you want over 200 then a TD04 might be what you want.

This is becoming an interesting thread however it has gone towards the Td04 side so title amended to suit if OP doesn't mind.

I decided to skip the hybrid route as the majority always seem to require early rebuilds, I wanted a new setup with more potential, not an interim.

Having only just upgraded from the versatile ct9b to the Td04l I will say low end boost response is poor (it is a larger turbo) but I have found the car is much better to drive off boost, there is more torque and the engine feels more even, even though deep down you know its a 1.3. In layman's terms it gives the engine more overall 'oomph' off boost, not to be confused with flat out acceleration.

This is due to the so called 'lag' or slower spool time but it really makes driving off boost more refined, that is my opinion as I use both a feathered foot and heavy foot. Having boost settings for 0.6, 0.8 and 1 bar also makes it versatile, ok on the scooby its optimum efficiency range is 1.2-1.4.

(1.6 max) but on the EP setting it low is great for daily driving. Boost can be set to come in slightly early with a good ebc with gain settings and a great map/supporting setup is essential (am on emanage ultimate) Next map session will see her @1.2bar on standard internals.

I have found when out on the open road (not b roads/country roads) the Td04 is pretty sweet as you will be in the 3.5k range anyway and when the ct9 runs out of puff in similar situations the Td04 is continually pushing. Ct9 is amazing for acceleration and quick response once mapped to 1bar+ properly and will be more than enough for some but for more kick and potential/better off boost torque at expense of low spool response time the td04 is a worthy and tried and tested eventual upgrade once you hunger for more boost and harder pull :p

Joz

a td04 is best used when running a forged engine otherwise the is no real benifit over the ct9 just simpley more lag as they will both produce around the same figures at 1-1.1bar. on a forged engine however the td04 is far better as at 1.4bar the power is faaaar greater than any c9 will give at 1.4. the td04 has become the must have mod purely because of how ceap a cheap manifold/decat and second hand td04 is when compared to a hybrid ct9 set up. but cheap isnt always the most benificial for the setup the car realy needs. for thoese who live around alot of motorways and duel carrigeways then a td04 and the lag it gives is no bother, if you live in the sticks and are surrounded by awsome twisty roads then a ct9 hybrid will be far more suited.

think back a few years and it was all about the hybrids, now its all about the td04's and 5years from now it will all be about the flux capacitor.

so long as the setup you run suits your needs then the power output is fairly errelivant tbh, after all your mate may runn 360hp on his big laggy turbo bt he wont beat your 200hp ct9hybrid of the lights and he wont beat you round the corners leading to the motorway but he will certianly catch you and spank you to bits by the time your both down the sliproad and onto the motorway...........................................who cares though because modding cars is fun no matter what setup or mods you run!!!

ok just my 2p

had my ct9 tongs fitted with boost controller and fpr and management is done by jam ecu.

i made 207bhp with 193ftlb of torque opposed to 200 bhp and 150ftlb of torque with oem ct9.

well what i have notcied is a massive difference the car is running 1.1bar and spins all the way into 3rd gear. it pulls so hard but im getting a fair amount of lag say around 3800rpm i have boost but it pulls well whilst spooling when i hit 3800 the car pulls like a train and breaks traction and pulls all the way to the high revs ( i dont take it past 7k).

i believe theres still room for improvement and believe the car could make more power however im undecided on wether or not to buy a mappable ecu/piggy back

the torque is by far the most noticeable thing.

i would be interested in having a burn up with a td04 of similar power to see what the difference is