How extreme have people gone on weight saving

right im just thinking about how much weight its possible to remove from an ep, more so a ep91 because i have one :p

starting with the obvious

spare wheel.

rear seats

rear plastics

sound proofing.

rear wiper ass.

these are the easiest most obvious and cheapest mods to do saving maybe 30-50kgs say.

other free or cheap mods but more extreme are

removing braces within the doors and boot

converting to winder rather than ellecy windows??

again you may save if your lucky 5kgs

i know a few people that have gone further and removed carpet, roof lining, drilled out the underside of their dash, drilled holes in door hinges and other panels, personally this seems silly and just makes the car to bare and rough for a daily or non track orientated car but people do still do it haha

then you get the things that cost money.

bucket seats

plastic windows

carbon bonnet

wings (are they much lighter?)

doors and boot? do they do them?

light weight wheels

now the standard ep seats weight is what 10-12kg so you may save another 6-10kg depending on how deep your pockets are and the seats and rails you get.

wheels again depending on pockets but sr speedlines with tyres weigh 14kgs each approx so you could save around 3/3.5kgs a wheel so call it 15Kgs a set by getting a semi decent set of jdm rims

then the bonnet and wings may save you 5-10kgs

windows im not sure on maybe 10kgs for the rear 3..

so total

so if you take a top spec uk ep91 at 920kgs 74bhp = 80.4bhp per ton

(being rather optimistic)

do the simple bits 1st

thats 870kgs = 85 bhp per ton

then the more extreme cheap bits

865kgs = 85.5bhp per ton

bits that cost money

seats 855kgs = 86.5bhp per ton

rims 840kgs = 88.1 bhp per ton

Carbon 830kgs = 89.1 bhp per ton

perspex 820kgs = 90.2 bhp per ton

like i say that is being VERY optimistic with the savings that you would actually get but it gives you an idea of how you can make a few extra ponies for free

now take geo's ep82 kudos 727kgs if that was running a uk 4efe it would be 101bhp per ton

with his engine 110hp if not more, and that works out at 151bhp per ton!!! gives you an idea of why that thing is so rapid!!!

so have i forgoten anything obvious or has anybody done anything else a bit extreme to save weight

p.s yes i was bored :p

Personally on a daily driver I wouldn't even bother, maybe the spare wheel and skip a few meals lol. If you have the money then yeah CF body panels would be good, but in reality who wants to drive round every day with no interior? On a weekend/track day/fun car then yeah go for it, strip it bare!

But on a daily driver I'd rather keep my leather seats and interior plastics. Horses for courses really, depends what you use the car for.

But as a mid way point I'd say anything behind the driver's seats could go, CF bonnet, perspex windows, lightweight wheels, remove ABS/air con. That should save a few kg!

The lightest EP anyone has ever got a starlet is about 680kg and thats with a roll cage in it which weighed about 50kg.

Check out nighspirts blog, he had the lightest starlet ever known to man!

http://www.night-spi...2_blog/?paged=1

His blog is back to front to to goto the start you need to go next a few times

:)

seeing what that thing started out as is unbelievable!! shame he broke it for spares :(

Personally on a daily driver I wouldn't even bother, maybe the spare wheel and skip a few meals lol. If you have the money then yeah CF body panels would be good, but in reality who wants to drive round every day with no interior? On a weekend/track day/fun car then yeah go for it, strip it bare!

But on a daily driver I'd rather keep my leather seats and interior plastics. Horses for courses really, depends what you use the car for.

But as a mid way point I'd say anything behind the driver's seats could go, CF bonnet, perspex windows, lightweight wheels, remove ABS/air con. That should save a few kg!

yeah im much the same, im just seeing what people think/have done etc

I've just gone for stripped out rear, looking for new wheels and going to remove some sound proofing. not up for perspex and all that. altho a nice lightweight battery like nightspirits might be a good idea :)

Edited by morgey

Yes i agree, i stripped out mine like you mention and it wasnt even my daily and i used to hate driving it on the road, yes it was fast and flew around corners but it makes it so noisy, rickety, bumpy arggghh it drives me mad even thinking about it.

It totally ruins the car to drive on the road other than if your driving it on the track, just prepare to go deaf if you do thats all :)

stripped mine out once and hated it lol, me and gary (gbr motorsport) stripped loads out of his shell, cut all the metal out the inside of the tailgate and doors, took all the sound deading out, even chopped the spare wheel well off and put a sheet of metal over, plastic windows, nothing was going back in, not even the dash lol

I was driving home tonight and though bloody hell this car feels heavier (no passengers and I have no gut)

It'd cost a fair bit of dough for a full lightweight tailgate and perspex windows etc, I believe Idworkz had an interest thread.

The heaviest thing I've found with my 91 are the doors, although its nice they shut solidly, they weigh a ton!

I have manual windows, no c/l, aircon or any of that jazz. All of the installed strut braces and rollbars would add some weight back in.

As for wings there is a little weight saving when using frp or carbon but its minimal I found

If I could choose again I'd go for a GT as both really are a different drive. You can really feel the weight difference.

They are getting on a bit so it gets harder and harder to find a mint example.

Joz

I did mine for about 2 week around one of the jap shows for a fast run in my old V

All interior removed inc carpets/doorcards/rooflining

Dash otu and just cabletie clocks to column

Theres a massive strengthening bracket dealies in between front and rear in the V that were a good 4kg alone.

Took passanger seat out too but put it in for drive to show as i took a mate up.

Allready had keepfit windows etc

Foglights out, number plates off .....

Think that was it in all honesty, but just keep removing stuff, was awesome as a daily. Got pulled and copper just looked inside and said "Im not sure how legal or illigal that is so im going to ignore it"

Then gave me a £30 fine for running a mini bike plate instead of full sized one and said im not allowed to cable it to rearview using the excuse "Cable ties are lighter then bolts and safer then sticky pads"

Haha some of you guys are nuts, but fair play, every little helps as they say.

How many people have been in striped hondas? my bros got a ef civic, only left in front seats doorcards n dash. Its far noisier rattlier than my car n its the same with most I've been in they dont seem to be built quite as solid as ep's. They all seem to squeek and shake alot more :/

Oh and my bros civic is a daily! Dont ask hes lost it lol

Haha some of you guys are nuts, but fair play, every little helps as they say.

How many people have been in striped hondas? my bros got a ef civic, only left in front seats doorcards n dash. Its far noisier rattlier than my car n its the same with most I've been in they dont seem to be built quite as solid as ep's. They all seem to squeek and shake alot more :/

Oh and my bros civic is a daily! Dont ask hes lost it lol

Being close to and knowing the racetech bunch ive been in a few including a 600hp+ civic EG with nothing in it ! even the heater was out and just had a 12v blower on window but i loved it !

The lightest EP anyone has ever got a starlet is about 680kg and thats with a roll cage in it which weighed about 50kg

:)

can you point me in the direction of that info,

the 2e ep80s also have 750kgs scrawled on the firewall.

to the op

other ways of saving weight, the rear towing eye is about a kilo,

and for dragging you could take the inner skins out of the doors some perspex out of homebase for the windows, not good for every day driving, dangerous infact but that must be good for another 15-20 kilos.

my inner rear has been removed and the floor will be painted up fresh. rear wiper assembly is gone. door cards and roof lining are gone.

im keeping the front carpet and front trim with the exclusion of the door cards, though i kept the pod things that the switches are on. i have also ditched the entire sound system.

next will be parts of the air filter assembly as Jay has suggested runnin a front mounted cone as she will not be used in winter anymore.

Phil.

the stock ep82 seats on my car is close 18kg's each..also the stock doors on ep82 (non power windows) is 23.5kg..after lightening got it down to 11kg..add in the window assembly and poly windows..bring the total up to 14kg. stock fuel system is about 20kg's..new drag fuel system is about 4-5kg's...i've been busy lately putting the car on a diet actually...you can even reduce quite a bit from swapping out the heavy stock wiring harness for a new custom one..stock harness weighs about 15-18kg's...new harness (for those using stand alone)..maybe 3-4 kg's max...then there is the usual culprits (most already covered here) like power steering, ac/heater and all ducting, light weight hood, sound deadning, carpets, lining and all plastics etc etc...

hope to have the car weighed soon..will post it up when i do :)

yea your talking about atleast 20kgs from the aircon pump, aircon fan, pipes and braket,

junking the power stearing saves weight but only problem there is you would also need a non pas rack to do it properly

Grants green gt was stripped when pukka performance ran it but hes ditched more bits and saved even more weight! If your going hard core then you can lose crazy weight. i personaly like my comforts so i just add more power instead to compensate haha