my new glanza v

yea Adrian thats the craic, they are just to kick about in, my mates think it makes the car look shaidy now....lol

m0re people look at the car on the motorways now but probably for the wrong reason.

i have a minted set of show rims ariving soon but thats not gona be till the end of august i think. everyone will like for sure,

im slowly filling the front page with content right now :)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sound man thanx for that,

your mani is locked inside my folks conservatory, should be able to get access to it by friday, thats where the delay has been as i dont have a set of keys.

Smaller wheels aid acelleration down to the simple fact they have a smaller rolling radius (so long as you don't start spinning them)

Larger wheels on the other hand will give you a higher top speed, if you can image 1 revolution of a smaller wheel would go a shorter distance in the same time.

Have a play about with my bro's tyre sizer : Tyre Sizer

You can see Geo change above (195/45/16 to 185/55/14) is a difference of 2.4mph @ 60mph

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also yes you're right lighter wheels have less inertia and will also aid acelleration.

Kool thanks for that info dude. Isn't it all just a trick of the Speedometer though really?? Your still travelling the same speed but the speedo is giving a false reading due the wheels being oversized and taking longer to rotate as you say?? Cheers for the link.

Smaller wheels aid acelleration down to the simple fact they have a smaller rolling radius (so long as you don't start spinning them)

Larger wheels on the other hand will give you a higher top speed, if you can image 1 revolution of a smaller wheel would go a shorter distance in the same time.

Have a play about with my bro's tyre sizer : Tyre Sizer

You can see Geo change above (195/45/16 to 185/55/14) is a difference of 2.4mph @ 60mph

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also yes you're right lighter wheels have less inertia and will also aid acelleration.

nice mate, alloys are a bit gay but i love the concept, small and light, thats what i've gone with, but hopefully i should have some decent suspension soon, aswell as collecting a WEPR mani on the weekend such as yourself, and then a blitz decat and JAM ecu when funds allow, so they'll be quite similar little beasts (well, except yours being a girly auto :) hahaha, just kidding).

Whats this brake thing you're doing? i was looking at upgrading to some 3G discs as they're cheap but if there's something else then i'm interested, get a step by step thing up...

you changing the calipers?

did that brake upgrade today along with a few other bits and bobs to bring my car up to some sort of reasnable knick for the show.

standard glanza brakes are good but they turn into poopoo with brake fade if used too spiritadly

found an ae101 4age corolla levin gt apex in my local breakers,

the discs are the same size as the glanza but alot thicker at 22mm oposed to 17mm.

as the glanza is soo much lighter then the leven the discs would not heat up as much so hounding the breaks wouldent be as scary

the calipers single piston of the same design but the actual caliper body is bigger to acomodate the bigger discs,

glanza2024.jpg

started lookin for discs that shared the same center boar, pcd offset etc, and through a friend came to a generic masda disc,

ordered an oe set from a 323f but when they arived the came up short

glanza2009.jpg

trial fitted them and everything looked peachy and ligned up right apart from the disc being too small.

glanza2008.jpg

needed to shave a mil or two up the hub but everthing came up good

glanza2036.jpg

sacked those discs and sorted advice from a mate off the au forum who pointed me in the direction og DBA (disc brakes australia)

they are a big manufacturer of all types of quality discs,

he pointed out to me that mazda 323 gtx would fit straight on

so found a distributer in the back of j tuner and ordered a set

they retail at £116 a disc

glanza2011.jpg

glanza2001.jpg

fitted them today, only problem came with the bigger calipers where the bottom sliding pins had seized but soon sorted that out.

after that gave all the calipers a good bleeding

before

glanza2020.jpg

after

glanza2030.jpg

glanza2031.jpg

after bedding them in started to get butterflys to see how potent they were,

totaly amazing, have had virtually no brake fade going up my fave 11mile stretch of tarmac with the greenstuff pads and these discs,

a worthwhile mod for anyone wanting a easy low cost upgrade plus you could upgrade to the corollla superstrut twinpiston calipers utilising the same disc in future ;)

also did a few other bits and bobs to the car, nothing major but people will just have to see that at the show :D

Awesome G man!

Totalling lovin' your work bro!

The brake conversion looks shit hot and must feel excellent!

Defo sumthin to look to in the future, they look like rare parts tho.

Glad to see things moving forward for ya.

Things have slowed down my end lol.

Maybe you got time after JAE for a chat!

Peace Out

Joz

I read (but didn't really follow -- 4 12hr shift's in a rown will do that) but what disc's did you end up using? the 323gtx discs from DBA?

will the discs being the same size diameter (from what I understand from reading they're the same Ã? ) make much difference just because they're thicker?

I fancy doing something similar myself.

@joz yea man theres nothing like good brakes,makes driving fast so much safer

@lobo yea ended up using themazda323gtx dba5333x is the model no,

due o the disc being alot thicker and grooved the same level of perfomcance of the standard glanza is more consistant over a longer period of time,

if your brakes are tip top at the mo...then they are pretty good standard,

think of these as the same but with no real brake fade,

please tell me that made sense lol

the last set of glanza discs cracked on me, bothsides and when i got the car the brakes were good for all of a few weeks before slowly sliding down hill to shitness and warpedness.....

Mine just feel spongy -- gonna do the DOT5.1 fluid and braided lines as a first route though.

My mates are quite handy -- might see about doing a GT4 brake conversion at some point if it looks possible (and they'll lend a hand)

i looked into that long and hard, and it will be a bugger to do mate, i dont think its worth it,

that ismy own opinion though,

wait are you on about the st205 or the 185 bud?

i put dot4 in mine, id like to see the difference braided lines and a master cylinder stopper would make

Looking good G, I've got a bracket on order to make the twin pots fit but not there yet, having Si's APP braided lines off him too, got a Cusco BCS and some 5.1 fluid to chuck in, but still need the greenstuff discs n pads

pads are off a MR2 SW20 so only bout £40, but discs are £114 - so a bit more painful, also the paint legend that is Baz has sorted me out some paint so hopefully shouldnt be too long before im sporting my convo too.

Loving your work man all gels really nice n looks smart, u gna paint your callipers?

What calipers are you planning to use Si? MR2 calipers?

Where are you getting the carriers made? My mate has made his own carriers for his AP's on his old ST185CS so hopefully he should be able to give me a hand (or do it for me while I watch and learn ;) )

Lookin good, a question that keeps slipping into my head is, if I change the front brakes, can I slap the old brakes on the back to replace the drums there (probably switching sides)? Would be way to get all round discs and better overall breaking a bit cheaper

Also looking forward to those other mods!

maybe at some point i might paint the calipers si ;)

another wee update i was sving till after the show for people that werent there, had my car into the bodyshop on thurdsday to respray the bonnet and bumpers as it was a total riot with stone chips and stuff

used this as an excuse to do abit of desparing and get rid of the glanza badge,

glanza2006.jpg

glanza2016.jpg

glanza2034.jpg

prepping the bodywork took about five hours to do with wet and dry paper, totaly minotnus but well rewarding getting all the stone chips away :D

then primer time

glanza2035-1.jpg

dont usualy go for cosmetics but also managed to scam a bargan set of eyebrows at 25 quid so i cant complain, waped them on

and the finnished article at the show :D

jae006.jpg

after doing this its spurned me on to get the whole car changed in december some time, got a few ideas at the show about what colour it will be next ;)

and as long as it aint fucking skyline midnight purple, probably the most overused colour, on the fucking planet...

looks nice mate, makes me wanna get my front end done, got a few gubbins i aint happy with so would make sense to get it all sorted.

was it a mates rates sorta thing or did you get it done proper at a body shop?