Forged 4E against Forged 5E

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus that Matt's was laggy as hell, the inlet on it made it laggy i remember seeing a thread on tgtt before he sold it i remember him mentioning he couldnt shake a forged TD04 4E

Im sure Matt (WhiteGV) wont mind me saying this..

Matts - 335bhp on 5E

Mine - 272bhp on 4E

Which was quicker? Mine.

That was a 3rd gear pull, up to 5th gear about 150mph..

On a private road :)

I heard the 5E's don't like to rev as much

How long it take from 100 to 150

Plus that Matt's was laggy as hell, the inlet on it made it laggy i remember seeing a thread on tgtt before he sold it i remember him mentioning he couldnt shake a forged TD04 4E

Oh no :s I hope this isn't the same for me!! Lol

Well so far its neck and neck, much love for the 4E reving ability but the ability of a bigger turbo on the 5E is making this a difficult decision.

I suppose if anyone come forward with either or for sale then that's which what it will be

• 2 weeks later...

5E, people seem to think the 5E can't rev, Spuddy has proven it can at 9300rpm. The only reason is doesn't like to rev in stock form is because the bottom end is heavier than a 4E.

More torque, more power, better drive, better spool times.

5E, people seem to think the 5E can't rev, Spuddy has proven it can at 9300rpm. The only reason is doesn't like to rev in stock form is because the bottom end is heavier than a 4E.

I thought it was due to the fact that its stroked to make it 1.5 that they don't like to rev as much, rather than a bigger bore/piston size.

Im sure Matt (WhiteGV) wont mind me saying this..

Matts - 335bhp on 5E

Mine - 272bhp on 4E

Which was quicker? Mine.

That was a 3rd gear pull, up to 5th gear about 150mph..

On a private road :)

I heard the 5E's don't like to rev as much

The intake didn't make it laggy at all, the shocking turbo/kit did along with a poorly spec'd engine. (in terms of head/cam choice). Infact I have the car in at the moment to have one of our GT28 kits fitted, so we'll see the HUGE difference in the midrange. A correctly spec'd intake will not lose any spool. Infact it should improve it along with top end power.

We are working on a new intake manifold at the moment, it will be even better than the others. However the cost might scare some people off so we're also keeping the tried and tested intakes.

I'm not surprised by the fact a car with less peak power beat it as there wasn't much area under the curve on his graph.

With this new kit on there the powerband will be much different/better.

I don't have too much time so i'll keep this brief.

The 4e 5e argument will go on further. As it does with many cars. I.e. Evo's/Civic's etc where you can get the same head but different capacity.

Generally speaking and at lower power levels the rule is as you'd think. Bigger is better. However at higher power levels the smaller engine is generally my preference. I.e. In a drag scenario.

www.s314kba.co.uk/leaderboard

Its debates like this, to why I made the leaderboard...

Its not just for bragging rights and pub talk...

You can compare in great detail how your setup compares to others. If you making 300bhp and 280lbft at the same boost as someone else on the same turbo but they make 320bhp... Get in touch ,look through a build thread... Compare Specs!

Research is what is needed! :)

The weight of the bottom end wouldn't matter to the RPM's. So long as the bottom end is balanced. The weight of the reciprocal parts would matter, but more/equally as important is the rod to stroke ratio for various reasons. What actually matters more is having the correct cam's for the application. I'll not go into too much detail here.

• 2 months later...

i recently just finished my forged build on my 4e

i had a spare 5e as well just sitting there but decided to do it all on the 4e because parts are easier to come by

5e has more torque, 4e revs more

my friend made 157kw at the wheels with his gt28 on his 4e

with 5e would be a little bit more i guess

go 5e if you have time ;)

5e..no real drawback. they dont make a huge chunk of power over the 4e's.. the added torque and spool up is definitely a plus for any set up. build the 5e ground up properly and you will love it. i really dont know why people keep saying 5e cannot rev...our's revs to 8.5k rpm all day. there are others who are reving 9k or more. one of customers has a built high compression 5e with td04..spool up is mad..awesome for road use.