4EFE tuning, what's new?

Hi guys

Haven't posted on UKSO for a while, been lurking as usual but rarely post.

Just wondering if there's anything new being done since I've been out of the scene for a bit. I saw a few posts a while back about 4EFTE intake manifolds - what's the deal with those? How do they compare to the trusty Corolla manifolds and what about the throttle body as well?

Anything new to do with exhaust manifolds, cams, ECU, etc...?

Who's running a 4EFTE manifold then? How does it compare to the Corolla one? (Better top end?) Has anyone tried the throttle body with it as well as if I remember they are supposed to be a little bit bigger?

Did a quick search and from what I can see, the 4EFTE manifold and TB are best for peak power, and the Corolla manifold best for all round, and the 4EFTE stuff isn't easy to fit compared to the good old Corolla manifold.

What other mods did you have? Injectors? Fuel pump? Clutch?

I'm guessing it was the usual setup of manifold/decat/exhaust/intake/FMIC, all bolted on, (which inlet manifold did you use?) then 4EFTE injectors, with standard gearbox etc...?

And although 0.5 bar doesn't sound like much I imagine it's "enough" because the 4EFE has a higher compression ratio.

What was the rev limit? Did you do any head work? (4EFTE valve springs?)

Standard 4EFE rad or was the cooling upgraded?

Edited by ste91

So after reading a few turbo 4EFE threads it sounds like a little strenghtening head work, uprated valves and springs etc with a thickher HG to lower the compression and you can safely run boost?

You don't "need" to lower compression, you just run less boost.

5psi on a 4EFE is worth a lot more than 5psi on a 4EFTE. Many turbo Hondas only run a few psi because it's all they need.

I seeeee. Im curious towards boosting the 4efe as im gonna have one sat in my garage in a few weeks needing new rings, but plan to overhaul it and put it back in my sr.

Boost would make my day lol.

So what about internals uprate, maybe strengthened rods?

I have no idea how much a standard 4EFE could take but you should be able to run a few psi without problems as there are people in other countries who have the Toyota Tercel which has a 5EFE, some of them bolt turbos onto those (some do the 4EFTE swap) but there are plenty of FE+CT9 setups around so they must be good enough for low boost.

The only thing I'm unsure about with boosting an FE is that I don't think they have a knock sensor amongst other things but I might be wrong.

What other mods did you have? Injectors? Fuel pump? Clutch?

I'm guessing it was the usual setup of manifold/decat/exhaust/intake/FMIC, all bolted on, (which inlet manifold did you use?) then 4EFTE injectors, with standard gearbox etc...?

And although 0.5 bar doesn't sound like much I imagine it's "enough" because the 4EFE has a higher compression ratio.

What was the rev limit? Did you do any head work? (4EFTE valve springs?)

Standard 4EFE rad or was the cooling upgraded?

Sorry, only just seen this :)

Injectors were 4EFTE, fuel pump was stock, as was the clutch. Gearbox was stock, and the inlet was the 4EFE one too. Radiator was stock.

Rev limit was stock, as the head was still all 4EFE.

Ran very well and surprised us all :)

Cheers

Mike Jones

Tuning Developments Ltd

• 3 weeks later...

Ever seen Motions 115PS red EP91?

Or I think he has a few bits of PS more, like 117 or so. And he hasn't even got other or modded cams and is still rocking the 4E-FE Gen3 Intake Manifold.

@Mike: So you just bolted on the K24 with an Intercooler, fitted FTE Injectors and mapped the stock ECU with the help of a Emanage? Or was there some work on the had done too, like uprated valve springs?

Edited by Xpect

Maybe I'll try that, as a FTE is in Germany really expensive. Just the engine, putting it in and getting it road legal would cost much more than 5000€... Thats nearly 4 times the cost of my EP91 Moonlight all Stock. And I already put more than 400€ in it for the Spoiler, the intake and some small parts. And the money I gave tomsgtadvance, that doesn't answer to my PNs on UKSC and doesn't seem to be online here :(

And as the K24 is from a German Audi it should be easier to get road legal.

• 1 month later...

Im back in a 4efe after a 5year absence and what Ive noticed is ecu mods. Either jdm 100ps or early generation corolla 7200rpm ecu and wiring. Also just seen today someone using the latest bug-eyed corolla ecu and coilpack with a new 6800rpm limit though I'm not sure about power or torque curve.

I'm waiting until I find a few more dyno graphs with air/fuel printouts so I can start playing with injectors and apexi safc maybe.

Early corolla 4-2-1 exhaust manifold or a 4afe 4-2-1 manifold seem to be options aswell. Id love to see our wee v-tec slaying Ep's 0-60 in 8seconds, 130mph topspeed with a janspeed style 4-2-1 bwaap bwaap bwaap.