• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, i've asked them but they said they can't get another cover... but i've also ordered one new from toyota. At least its guaranteed quality. But what do you expect from a second hand engine really... it couldve been the strap that dented it but only with something quite forceful, but then the rocker cover is scratched... so it was probably the previous owner... O well, jus make sure you see the goods before you buy it lol.

Just waiting on my mechanic to come pic it up and begin the operation xD No car for about a month or so tho... :)

T

• 1 month later...

Another update:

The choice of which gearbox has come to me. From what i found, the gear ratios are the same because they both use the c56 :( :

1e: 3.166

2e: 1.904

3e: 1.392

4e: 1.031

5e: 0.815

:)

However, the final drives are different to each other..

Starlet ep91 - 3.7

Levin AE111 - 4.312

With the starlet's gearbox i believe the top speed of the car will be higher, but it will take longer to get there.. With the Levin's gearbox the top speed is reduced but i will reach my top speed alot quicker.. This also means that my revs would be higher than the starlet's if we were travelling at the same speed, not very good for economy.. but o weeeelllll... :(

Please correct me if i am wrong and i'm open to any suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks

T

Is top speed that important on a road car though?

(or are you planning on track use?)

Nah, top speed isn't really important, i was just wondering how much slower it would be and how much lower the revs would be so i can weight out the positives and negatives, i thought that there may be a sl;ight chance someone else has done somthing similar.. but mainly i jus wanted to make sure that it was the right way round lol, before i make the wrong choice, that the starlet gearbox is the top speed one and to try and double check the figures of the gear ratios.

Nice update mate, why not use the G6 6speed box then? :p

Something about 6 gears doesn't appeal to me for some reason... :( But if i wanted one, i would've bought the 6 speed engine.. but i stuck to the 5 speed. I might even regret it later once i drive it and find out that my fuel consumption isn't like 45 mpg anymore :)

no your spot on there buddy

whens the convo gna take place then mate?

Thanks Si for the confirmation. Its already underway mate, But the mechanic who's working on it is a friend and has a job in the daytime so it will take longer than normal but he only really started on friday and has the engine out to compare them both (wirings etc.) and he's waiting for a cutter to come so he can shred my car to tiny pieces :(:p

Ahh, well i'm keeping my starlet's fuel tank, so i have about 35 litres... But i suppose its sooo expensive now because of the high fuel prices...

Shame i couldn't meet you guys at the bluewater meet, i had to fill in for shelly <_< who managed to escape work... I only work weekends for a bit of extra money and family business so you can't really take the day off :D

'Hi dad, gona be ill today for work, bye!' :(

Thats a real arse about the rocker cover mate :(

Exactly how much is a new one from toyota!!?? Cant be cheap!!

They started to try and fit the engine yet?

So whats the plan for it, is it going to be completely custom mounts with custom driveshafts?

Or using original gearbox position and modifying the chassis?

by the way, im the same person from off levinoc <_<

your making me want to get an ep91 or a paseo to fit a 4age :D

Hey mate, glad to see you've joined up, Mikey Jay is also on here because he had/has a starlet too.

Umm, the new rocker cover is £36.97 + VAT. I've been speaking to my mechanic and told him about a previous post about the fitting of the engine and cutting the chassis a bit. I was told by a guy on this forum called c2888 (he's got a silvertop in his starlet):

***Quote***

You need to cut one of the chassis rails to get it to fit. You will not get it in there without cutting.

If you cut right side, you won't need custom driveshafts, BUT I think the chassis is severly weakened and needs some major reconstruction.

Cut left side for gearbox clearance and you will need custom shafts. ***Quote***

When i told my mechanic, he said that in the other cars (when i showed him some pics), the brake master cylinder is on the left hand side of the car, and mine is on the right. So if i don't cut the left hand side, my engine will foul on the brakes. So i guess i only have one choice :(

But i trust my mechanic to make the best choices. More info will be posted up when i find out more myself <_<:(

Haha, do it! lol. Join the group, there are a few starlet owners who want to do this in the future aswell, but whatever you do, we'l support you all the way mate. But seeing all the other EP82s aswell will probably make you wanna keep to that instead :D

Yeah well this is it. When i briefly looked into it, and it was only briefly it looked like cutting the chassis on the drivers side had to be done du to the 4AGE width!!

I would have thought it should clear the master cylinder if done right? Again tho i didnt look into it in depth so could be wrong. All the NZ/OZ boys are RHD like us so the MC would be on same side as us...

£37 + vat.. I take it thats the plastic centre bit then!