Just been pulled by the Federales

So just done some shopping walking back to my car and I see the donut patrol sitting in a marked car. They drive past and ask why my font on my plate is so small. I've been pulled 5 or 6 times before and I've never had a comment about my font size before..

Didn't get a fine but they made it like it was blatantly illegal and drove off after asking where I live "and that they'd check up"..

My question to you guys is, does anyone know what is the smallest legal size on import plates?

Edited by Amjad

I've got a well small plate on the front of the gt n it's only ever been mentioned once cuz it's square so I said do u pull all Alfa romaos over aswel cuz they got square plates and the reply i got was be on your way lol

Alfa Romeo's have square plates?

you sure?

there's four in my house, and none of ours have a square plate. Nor did our V6 159. Nor did our GT. nor did our 147. bearing in mind my sister owns a Mito, and I've had a Guilietta on loan, that covers all of Alfa's offerings from the last 7 years or so.

checking the older ones, the 156 has a rectangular plate. The 166 has a rectangular plate. 146, rectangular. Brera, rectangular. Spider, rectangular.

I think what you meant was that Alfa's have an off-set plate to the N/S of the front bumper that is mounted on a plinth, yet still curved and therefore not facing directly forward. that's the example you want to use from Alfas if you're running an off-set front plate. But they dont have square plates.

It appears you managed to pull the wool over the 5-0's eyes. I'd count that as a win. kudos.

Phil.

Edited by Nanglebadger

Haha glad I didn't get a fine but just checking up so I don't get hassled by the same guy if he sees me again!

It was on the NA Matt

And yeah they were inside getting some food or something, we came out a few minutes later to see them sat parked. Started loading the car and they came along. Should have stayed inside for a few minutes really, could tell they were bored and waiting for something to do <_<

Yeah they're 12x6 plates with motorcycle sized writing I think, legal for imports. But I think the reason they're legal for imports is there being smaller bumper areas to mount the plates, and as both end of my NA are import I could argue that it should be ok? lol

your are correct phil and explained it a lot better than I did dude but the excuse did work at the time

The reason I said that is my sister in law has an Alfa 156 and hers is to one side but its not quiet rectangular and not quiet square maybe it's one that some1 else put on and not factory then don't really know a great deal about em tbh

Put a picture up of your plate.... technically and legally if you can have this style of square plate on a uk car:

s614amv85hraj0vcgdq0coms20_4.png

That is (228mm wide x 178mm high)

OR

You can have an import plate on an Import car:
s614amv85hraj0vcgdq0coms20_9.png

Which is 330mm wide x 152mm, it can also be 165mm, 178mm and 208mm high.

Those are the standard sizes, anything else font/plate size is illegal. Its quite simple.

They mainly look at the lettering gap. I don't think it matters on plate size. Say if u have 2 letter directly next to you and the rest correct and you haven't got the original plate with u they usually give u an on the spot fine

But as for plate size. I don't think it's a big thing. I have never failed a car on its mot for being to small. And I don't think I have ever seen anything on the vosa computer stating if a plate is to small. But I could be wrong

Edited by Jhandy

The Road Vehicles ( Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) regulations 2002 SI no. 2687 came into force in November 2002.

These amendment regulations introduce a new regulation 14A, making special provision in relation to the size and spacing of characters in the registration number of some imported vehicles. These regulations also include the display of motorcycle sizes for number plates on imported vehicles. The provision only applies to vehicles imported into the UK which do not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval, and are so constructed, that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration number in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14.

Also contained is an amendment to regulation 3, to prohibit the use of a number plate on which the background is patterned or textured, or gives that appearance.

Where a vehicle has been allocated a UK registration number, the number plate must comply with the specification and standards laid out in the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001, as amended. Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display numberplates with smaller characters if the vehicle does not have European Community Vehicle Type Approval and the vehicle's construction/design cannot accommodate standard size numberplates.

"the vehicle's construction/design cannot accommodate standard size numberplates" I guess I could try arguing that my car doesn't allow for a standard sized plate, because well, it doesn't! lol

Thanks for the replies

"the vehicle's construction/design cannot accommodate standard size numberplates" I guess I could try arguing that my car doesn't allow for a standard sized plate, because well, it doesn't! lol

Thanks for the replies

But it does... It has space for a standard sized import plates ;)

lol its an eu couterpart vehicle ie uk spec, it oly doesnt because you have altered manufactures spec so its you fualt they dont fit. soz dude but you dont have a leg to stand on if they realy get picky over it, the mrs family are mostly old bill so I&#39;ve had these sort of "disscusions" endless times lol

tell me bout it dude lol suthern 5-0 are harsh as!! i got pulled week befor xmas and almost lost my licence because he was gonna "make an example to others that he does his job right" thankfully he let me off for some reason in the end :) but there used to be a massive cruise culture in southampton bud so they like to keep the weight on to lads and cars to make sure it never comes back :( was alot of illigal street racing and stupid size maxpower style cruising going on got out of hand tbf and ruined it for all of us, that was about 7-8years ago and they came down hard impounding loads of cars arresting lads for car related driving offences was helicopters overhead!! was nuts and they have been heavy handed ever since.

Edited by shorty