Engines without camshafts....

I saw this a few weeks ago, think the likes of f1 ha been using something like this for a while to get the revs that they do but, 30% more effecient, power and torque with less weight.

Can make as much power and torque in a 3cylinder 1.5 as a camshaft driven 4cyliner 2.0

And no its nothing like a rotary as they use ports not valves ;)

The new ford 3 cyl 1L ecoboost engine has no cams. The valves open electronicaly. Pretty efficient design, makes 125 bhp.

They still have cams, probably contolled like the fiat multiair system, just had a quick read and they have a timing chain. But yeah size of an A4 peice of paper! Pretty impressive little engines it would appear :)

Yeah... they do, heads fried this week haha, balls. My college lecturer was talking about some new engine that has no cams, and one where the cams werent drivin by the crank, instead by an electric motor... Then he was banging on about the ecoboosts and how good they were..

Yeah, especially in cars, i'll stick to my wee basic starlet thanks very much haha.

Got to think though, if the modern auto technology was pumped into a starlet it would be a totally different machine.

But i do prefer the kinda old school feel to them, no interference from a computer haha.

That's real interesting, hypothetically speaking in say 10 - 15 years time if these go mainstream, surely large tuning companies will be offering these as an upgrade rather than high lift cams?

Thats what i was thinking of when i was watching that video, What about Vtec? 20,000 rpm haha

Seems really great and he said they havnt had any trouble with it eathier 8)

I suppose i they wanted to, theres nothing stopping them now? These guys have done it to a normal road car so whats stopping you from removing the head from the likes of an evo and making a retro fit camless head. The only thing you would need is oil pump drive if its belt driven and a crank angle sensor for timing and ignition etc

The valves would need a separate cpu but nothing mental

And how would you get vtec with no cams? Lol

Or are you saying? "vtec pffft, i rev to 20k bitch!!!" :Pb

Edited by morgey

I suppose i they wanted to, theres nothing stopping them now? These guys have done it to a normal road car so whats stopping you from removing the head from the likes of an evo and making a retro fit camless head. The only thing you would need is oil pump drive if its belt driven and a crank angle sensor for timing and ignition etc

I'm sure the amount of r&d is whats putting them off at the minute, other possibility is Cargine have copyrighted the idea and are wanting ridiculous amounts for other manufacturers to make them.

Yeah vtec this lol

• 2 weeks later...

Havnt they had numatic valves in racing bikes for a few years now?

Just watched the whole thing now and it looks great.

If the numbers are as good as they state it could be something amazing!

Edited by RandomDan

Thats what i was thinking of when i was watching that video, What about Vtec? 20,000 rpm haha

Seems really great and he said they havnt had any trouble with it eathier 8)

Honda no longer make Vtec engines due to emmission regulations :(

Strictly speaking with this type of cam system you can have the lift and advance run linier so there would be no on/off like Vtec is :p