What modifications i should do to get max power out from my 5efe n/a starlet.i want to build the fastest n/a starlet in my country.so i dont wanna turbo it.and should i use 4efte parts or something else.......pls help!

Go in stages. 5efe, corolla inlet manifold, 50mm throttlebody. We had 115hp and 130lbft

An oil change is the very first thing I suggest to do.

Also a paseo gearbox is faster in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and longer topspeeds in 4th 5th.

A 4branch exhaust manifold would be a good idea aswell. You can use the jap 5efhe or the easy to find 4afe uk corolla 4_2_1 exhaust manifold. Take the 50mm throttlebody from the same engine.

Then get management. Emanage is cheap n handy or even apexi safcII

Forget cams and throttlebodies until u have the.other parts.

So here are the mods i should do as you guys have said:

Corolla Inlet manifold

50mm throttlebody

4-2-1 exhaust manifold

C52/c56 gearbox?

Emanage

Thin gasket?

High cr pistons

Any other mods?

Some mods i know: large diameter ht leads,irridium sparkplugs,cold air intake.

also i want to know if its worthy to ugrade my fuel system....like using walbro,large injector,fuel pressure regulator,braided fuel lines etc...Forgot to mention my current engine is 5efe 1st gen jdm distributor type....so do i still need the corolla inlet manifold as its jdm? And if i need to use 4afe inlet would i be able to use 4ages itb?......correct me if i am wrong anywhere.......

Edited by Adeeb1395
  • 1 month later...

Go in stages. 5efe, corolla inlet manifold, 50mm throttlebody. We had 115hp and 130lbft

from what engine? 3- or 4-zzfe??

An oil change is the very first thing I suggest to do.

Also a paseo gearbox is faster in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and longer topspeeds in 4th 5th.

is the one from a corolla l-touring wagon the same??

A 4branch exhaust manifold would be a good idea aswell. You can use the jap 5efhe or the easy to find 4afe uk corolla 4_2_1 exhaust manifold. Take the 50mm throttlebody from the same engine.

Then get management. Emanage is cheap n handy or even apexi safcII

Forget cams and throttlebodies until u have the.other parts.

The bottom line is you wont make any real gains without increasing the compression ratio or uprating the cams.

You don't necessarily need to pull the engine apart and fit high comp pistons, you could probably make good power on a standard block, although 5EFHE internals wouldn't be a bad idea as the rods are a bit stronger from what I remember.

Some decent cams and head work (port and polish) and raise the rev limit, aslong as the head can flow enough air and your intake/exhaust system are up to scratch you should be able to make some decent power, however you will lose low end torque as that is the trade off with a high revving N/A engine.

It depends how serious you are about it though, 99% of the time it works out cheaper and easier to go down the turbo route.

Edited by ste91

just buy a 5efhe for 110bhp str8 out of the box, skimmed flywheel, bigger injectors,lightweight pulleys,ditch power steerin,bigger throttlebody,custom inlet,4-2-1 exhaust manifold,straight thru exhaust,engine management,corolla 6speed box,change to 14inch lightweight wheels with a lower profile to reduce rotational mass,strip interior right out and put lighter panels on the car.

job done.

ACIS intake with control unit, 50mm TB, higher comp Pistons or Head skimming or way easier, thinner head gasket, OBX 4-2-1 mani, Emanage for a more suiting map, higher Rev limit, bigger injectors.

That's I think all one lad here in Germany used for getting 150PS or sth like that.

Depends on the budget. The easiest way to make an N/A go faster is to increase the rev limit which requires management. No one is prepared to spend the same amount on an electronic box as what they did for the car.

The fastest and most powerful are two very different things!

Personally I would deck the block as much as possible reducing the compression height. Skim the head as much as possible without the valves hitting the pistons. That way you'll have very high compression without having to spend £800 on a set of custom pistons. Get the bottom end balanced and fit ARP crank bolts/studs, throttle bodies and some management, rev the tits off her!

I personally wouldn't bother touching the block, if you start with a 5EFHE rather than 5EFE you already have a huge advantage and cost saving, especially the later 5EFHE's that rev to 7800rpm, plus FHE's are already high compression and the rods are a bit stronger.

Simply port & polish the head and fit some uprated cams, a decent 4-1 manfiold and bigger throttle body, full exhaust system, and a piggyback ECU/remap. You could also go for things like lightweight flywheel/pulleys if your budget allows.

Bolting on random parts and hoping for the best wont get you very far, you want to optimise things like intake/exhaust diameter, manifolds etc... to match the cams, as ultimately the cams/head dictate where in the rev range your peak torque/power is made.

Increasing the revs and shifting the peak torque further up the rev range will make more power.

But really it's a lot of money to spend for not a whole lot of power in the real world. Simply fitting a decat+exhaust system and turning up the boost on a standard 4EFTE will probably get you the same result.

Edited by ste91
  • 2 weeks later...

5E block + 4E-F pistons + yamaha R6 2003 throttlebodies or carburettors( CV-slides are important for the combination ), 5E-FHE cams( doubt the speed vision cams would clear these pistons, but I'm not sure ), coil packs. Megasquirt. or megajolt( if you are using the bike carbs ), water/meth injection. Make the most use of your timing.

Modified a 4age 20v silvertop 4-2 header to suit the E series flange and using the stock 4age 20v 2-1 downpipe stepped down to 2 inch piping with resonators or muffler of your choice, no bigger than 2 inch till the exit. looks stock on the outside.

Budget build, keep in the toyota/yamaha family

Then get to a Dyno before I do :D

As was said already, N/A builds rely on compression, proper flow and ignition timing.