Used to be in pretty good shape but got lazy since I passed my test so looking to get back in shape been hitting the gym but wondering if its worth taking any supplements or anything to help lose weight quicker but gain muscle anyone got any input on the subject?

Key to any fitness goals is perseverance mate, just keep at it! Most legal supplements are a waste of money and in my opinion should only aid a top notch specific diet...

If i had to say try any supplement, try ephedrine... You'll have to ask about to see who will sell it though, its not exactly legal...

You should try and eat small meals regularly containing high protein, if fat loss is the aim then lots of veggies with your protein and only eat carbs when u need energy... Ie before gym, before work (if work is physical)...

One thing that has always helped me shed more bf% is fasted cardio... Ie, strong black coffee as soon as you wake up and run...

Although fast paced walk for longer periods (45/75 mins) is best for fat loss as your body needs lots of oxygen to burn fat efficiently!

by the way I'm a personal trainer, doing a degree in health and exercise science and been into bodybuilding for best part of 10 years...

Any questions mate just ask... I would say i know what I'm talking about but theres always someone more knowledgable! ;-)

My works reasonable physical but its night shift so I sleep most of the day. And my meals often go to shit if my shifts change or I get called in for something. I used to drink gallons of fizzy juice and monster so I've cut all that out for water. Just started the other day so hopefully shall notice a change In a few weeks

Its all about the diet, you can hit the gym 6-7 days a week but without the right food you won't get the gains..

I have a diet plan that I do 7 days a week with gym 5-6 of them along with certain supplements.

If your only just starting you don't want to jump straight into taking loads of sups, just build yourself into them slowly.

am : 6 whole eggs + 100g oats

11am : 40g protein + 2tablespoons peanut butter.

2pm : 200g chicken 100g Basmati rice

4pm Post workout 40g protein + 50g dextrose. (get some off my protein)

5pm : 200g Beef + 200g sweet potato ( have this as your poat workout meal

have your shake soon as you finish training wait an hour then have this )

8pm 150g cottage cheese + 2 table spoons peanut butter.

10pm 20g protein.

Try leave 3 hours between each meal. 2 hours wont be long enough give your body

a chance to digest the previous meal. Make sure you have whole eggs its good

cholesterol and fat in the egg yolk which is optimal for increasing testerone

levels and also adds more calories when bulking. Always Have something before

bed. If you dont your body will go into a catabolic state (burn muscle).

Intermittent fasting is great for losing weight and maintains muscle, read up about it, u won't gain much strength but if you're looking to lose fat it's a good start

You don't need to take none of the dianabol test shit, stick to being natural otherwise it'll catch up to you later in life

Eat right, sleep right, train right and most of all be consistent! You'll see a massive improvement in the mirror within 3 months

Supplements I'd recommend are creapure and any decent whey protein because you're just starting off you wanna get used to lifting etc

Gotta crawl before you walk :)

Intermittent fasting is great for losing weight and maintains muscle, read up about it, u won't gain much strength but if you're looking to lose fat it's a good start

You don't need to take none of the dianabol test shit, stick to being natural otherwise it'll catch up to you later in life

Eat right, sleep right, train right and most of all be consistent! You'll see a massive improvement in the mirror within 3 months

Supplements I'd recommend are creapure and any decent whey protein because you're just starting off you wanna get used to lifting etc

Gotta crawl before you walk :)

^This. I second intermittent fasting too, works very well

Ive been hitting the weights on and off for like 7 years and both brother in laws are competition body builders , supplements can be a big help of used correctly my advice would be to use a good quality protein like USN igf1 as it doesn't have much shit in it but has a high amount of protein and a good pre-work out drink like hemo rage or jack 3d as that will give u that little extra push u need as the first couple of months are always a killer as u will ache like mad , other than those things I would say train hard naturally for 3 months so your body adjust to what your doing. To lose body fat but gain muscular mass I've always found intense training to be of a large benefit 4-5 sets of each excercise work your way up and down the weights with minimal breaks inbetween and obviously a certain punt of cardio depending what your goal is , after your 3month period if u like it and are gonna stick at it t6's and efferdrin are great use to burn body fat and loose extra weight I have used both and lost 3 stone in 2 months before if u want that extra muscle mass etc then a course of lean gain extreme and masteron wouldn't go a miss as they don't promote water retention or weight gain there used as cutting compounds and for lean mass production .

But most of all u have to enjoy it nothing is easy and u won't see gains straight away when it comes to training it really is a marathon not a sprint mate

Edited by pick1

I've just started using the gym 3 evenings a week.

thing is i am VERY small and light and i have so little body fat it cannot be read.

So what would be the best diet for me?

when i started i was a tad over 7st and its coming up to 3 weeks and i am almost touching 8st

:)

Depends what your goals are mate if your wanting a more muscular physique I'd say a higher protein diet I.e a couple of chicken breast a day eggs tuna etc n work those in to your daily intake and a good protein drink for the times when your to busy to make urself food the higher protein intake will be absorbed by your body under training and help your muscularity

Depends what your goals are mate if your wanting a more muscular physique I'd say a higher protein diet I.e a couple of chicken breast a day eggs tuna etc n work those in to your daily intake and a good protein drink for the times when your to busy to make urself food the higher protein intake will be absorbed by your body under training and help your muscularity

Pretty much to build muscle and generally be more stronger :) as said i have put weight on since i have started so in the right direction :)

i cannot afford real protein shakes so i found a cheap substitute, Powdered milk with strawberry flavouring :)

Pretty much to build muscle and generally be more stronger :) as said i have put weight on since i have started so in the right direction :)

i cannot afford real protein shakes so i found a cheap substitute, Powdered milk with strawberry flavouring :)

Pretty much going in the rite direction then mate if u can up your protein intake then great but sounds like u got your training sorted are u doing two muscle groups when u train like back n biceps etc or are u doing one muscle group At a time everyone like to train differently and u just got find what your comfortable with

gym wise you need to think about your rep range. theres really three main rep ranges as follows -

- if you want good all over muscle tone but not to gain bulk, do loads of reps with a leighter weight (i.e 15+ per set). starts off easy but gets really hard after a while. a good work out for this is a pyramid. pick a fairly light weight and do 20 reps, then rest and do 30 and rest and 40 and so on until you get to 60 reps, then rest and come down to 50 and 40 and so on till you are back to 20. i do this with bicep curls with a 8kg dumbells and my arms are destroyed at the end.

- if you want to gain size/bulk, forget the light weights you want to be doing every set between 8 and 12 reps. so you are going to need heavier weight. i'd say this is the way the majority of people in a gym train when they have no sports/specific goals.

- finally if you want to gain STRENGTH (which doesent necessarily mean you will get any bigger) you need to up the weight further. look to do 6 reps per set or less. maybe even train your 1 rep max but if you are strength training you are going to be using weights that are very heavy for you so always have someone to spot you on things like bench press etc.

hope all that helps a bit.

gym wise you need to think about your rep range. theres really three main rep ranges as follows -

- if you want good all over muscle tone but not to gain bulk, do loads of reps with a leighter weight (i.e 15+ per set). starts off easy but gets really hard after a while. a good work out for this is a pyramid. pick a fairly light weight and do 20 reps, then rest and do 30 and rest and 40 and so on until you get to 60 reps, then rest and come down to 50 and 40 and so on till you are back to 20. i do this with bicep curls with a 8kg dumbells and my arms are destroyed at the end.

- if you want to gain size/bulk, forget the light weights you want to be doing every set between 8 and 12 reps. so you are going to need heavier weight. i'd say this is the way the majority of people in a gym train when they have no sports/specific goals.

- finally if you want to gain STRENGTH (which doesent necessarily mean you will get any bigger) you need to up the weight further. look to do 6 reps per set or less. maybe even train your 1 rep max but if you are strength training you are going to be using weights that are very heavy for you so always have someone to spot you on things like bench press etc.

hope all that helps a bit.

This man is correct in what he says and has pretty much hot the nail on the head depending what your targets are I do more for strength and sheer muscle mass so the one rep max at the end of your sets is a good way and the pyramiding is excellent for lean dripped muscle as have also done that aswel in the past which does work particularly well on the chest and bicep area

A strict diet and excercise/training prgramme is very importatnt.

The gym I train at is owned and ran by daz ball (just google daz ball) who is the 3 times british champion and won the arnie class this year.

Lots of advice and help is on tap from many professional bodybuilders there.

knowledge and discipline is key if you want to see results fast.

I have only been back in the gym for 4 months following a shoulder and forearm injury 2 years ago and i thought i will never get back in shape after not excercising for so long but Im really surprised with the results i have seen in such a short time.

As long as you can see the results you will stay motivated and keep training harder every time you hit the gym.

If you dont train properly and dont stick to a good diet you wont see result whcih usually ends up with quitting.

stay motivated and hit it hard - no pain no gain.

Best of luck