I agree to all the mods above as said before barring the RARB. As a cheap basic mod for a standardish car yes i agree it will work, But if you have coilovers and braces etc i think they promote too much oversteer if driven very hard

I have had mine on track twice now in the wet and dry, And there wasnt one instance where it understeered. If you were on the very limit it would oversteer first regardless of what you did.

I was also taken out by the scrutineer of the track day (ICE Driver instructor from sweden, mental driver) And he helped set the suspension up to dial out oversteer.

I also said to him the fact i have a RARB sat at home and he said he would never fit it, why make the car worse on the limit!

Possibly just my car, but if i was going to take advice from someone it would be him....

TT

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I've ever heard someone say that. Maybe you have a problem elsewhere?

No problem, just a waste of £150. coil overs and cusco braces all round, didn't say my car handles badly but suggsted that the RARB doesn't make any difference for me?

Not at all for me. Had Meisters, 24mm FARB, OEM front brace, 3 point rear brace fitted to the GT. And coming from the NA I could immediately feel the need for RARB. Fitted it a week later and now it handles awesomely!

if it works for you then bonus wish i could feel the difference!

I agree to all the mods above as said before barring the RARB. As a cheap basic mod for a standardish car yes i agree it will work, But if you have coilovers and braces etc i think they promote too much oversteer if driven very hard

I have had mine on track twice now in the wet and dry, And there wasnt one instance where it understeered. If you were on the very limit it would oversteer first regardless of what you did.

I was also taken out by the scrutineer of the track day (ICE Driver instructor from sweden, mental driver) And he helped set the suspension up to dial out oversteer.

I also said to him the fact i have a RARB sat at home and he said he would never fit it, why make the car worse on the limit!

Possibly just my car, but if i was going to take advice from someone it would be him....

TT

The other thing ive noticed toff, is that no japanese brand offers rear anti rollbar and if the likes of zep, jam and HRF never ran one then maybe theres a reason for it?? i just feel that with uprated bushes and coil overs at the rear the rear beam does the same job of weight transfer?

Edited by Broony

The other thing ive noticed toff, is that no japanese brand offers rear anti rollbar and if the likes of zep, jam and HRF never ran one then maybe theres a reason for it?? i just feel that with uprated bushes and coil overs at the rear the rear beam does the same job of weight transfer?

Cusco offer a RARB.

LInk for this?

http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/catalog/pdf_catalogue_suspension_parts_3.html

cant see it listed in their catalogue , forgive me if I'm blind lol but ive had a good hunt?

Here mate.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/cusco-sway-bar-rear-toyota-altezza-mark-ii-starlet-19723

Don't come as a kit though like the whiteline ones, but drop links and a couple exhaust brackets can easily be had.

I'll be guessing to say that most JDM demo cars used cusco suspension gear seeing as they are highly regarded as the best manufacturer in the world by many.

Edited by AdamB

I think the people with RARB arent driving fast enough and just think it feels nice and direct, Which to be fair i believe may be true as it might feel nicer but on the limit i think they would just plant you in a field

Get it on a track and fling it into a corner going too fast, they oversteer

Right speed and lift off, the oversteer.

Going quick into a roundabout etc, they oversteer

If i had a RARB there would be no way i would have done the laptimes i did that sprint day.

Personal opinion mabye and its possibly just my car but i was looked at like i was stupid by a rally driver and his team when i said i wanted to stiffen the rear with a RARB

This is AFTER we stiffened the front right up on the coilovers and softened the rear, it was still very neutral with a bit of oversteer

If someone would like to prove me otherwise and take me on track and show me what there like, My RARB is still going to be sat in the shed unfitted

On that note anybody want to buy a whiteline RARB?

Lol

Edited by The Toffinator

the best way to drive a front wheel drive car is to have the rear light, it just takes skill not to let it go. if you watch a lot of the BTCC cars are very light on the rear.

at the end of the day its down to driver style, if you dont like over steer DONT get a RARB.

thinking about making up a brace to go from upper front seatbelt mounting the the rear seatbelt mounting both sides along with a floor bar,have upper and lower front struts,c pillar,rear strut brace,front arb

car handles fairly well I think

I think the people with RARB arent driving fast enough and just think it feels nice and direct, Which to be fair i believe may be true as it might feel nicer but on the limit i think they would just plant you in a field

If i had a RARB there would be no way i would have done the laptimes i did that sprint day.

Personal opinion mabye and its possibly just my car but i was looked at like i was stupid by a rally driver and his team when i said i wanted to stiffen the rear with a RARB

This is AFTER we stiffened the front right up on the coilovers and softened the rear, it was still very neutral with a bit of oversteer

If someone would like to prove me otherwise and take me on track and show me what there like, My RARB is still going to be sat in the shed unfitted

Lol

I drove both my cars hard on track through the corners and find it very well balanced to be honest! It could have a bit of lift off oversteer on the limit but this is what I like, it helps to control the car's line through the corners!

a good seat and a harness completely changes how in control you feel. this will give the biggest impact on how your car can be pushed into the bends

Very true, been using a Recaro the past few days and I feel so much more confident slamming it through corners! :)

Lol

Little light fwd cars like ours will always have lift off oversteer regardless off the RARB being fitted or not.

My car seemed very neutral on track once the tyres were upto temperature - before that there was a bit of oversteer as the rears naturally take longer to warm up. I do have a thicker front arb too (and coilovers, braces, poly bushes etc).

A bit of oversteer is not a bad thing either as it gives you more adjustability than persistant understeer.

Biggest handling difference hands down for me was LSD. Nothing else comes close to the added cornering speed that you get from having one.

Rarb was a load of tosh. Maybe if you dont have coilovers you would see the affects more but fitting one after having them made no difference imo

I was using rainsports all round dude, wet and dry day. Lap times were consistent top times against many very fast cars, (Laptimes are in my build thread).

It wasnt a problem the oversteer if anything it was good especially when we did the damp day. Under very hard braking and through the chicane the back was always trying to come out.

Next sprint im going to lower the car a bit more and have another fiddle with the damping, see if i can make it neutralish with a bit of oversteer, This was advice given to me by the tech guy there and andrew mckenna (Ice driver)

What setup did you have on the handling track mike? Looks like it handles well on the short stuff

Edit this is the guy who took me out, and this is the same track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1N_KZuXGkM

Edited by The Toffinator