Calling Electrical Gurus!

Hi guys,

I am out of ideas on this problem so hopefully one of you wiring gurus can help me as electricals/wiring isn't my strongest point. The engine is ready to prime but the engine won't turn.

I'll put this in bullet points so I don't end up writing an essay!

• The starter motor clicks, but the engine doesn't turn by the key
  • The engine DOES turn manually (from the crank pulley)
  • I've tried a new starter motor which turned the engine over for about 5 seconds
  • Both the new and old starter motors ARE working (tried and tested by wiring them up to a battery on another car)
What I've tried so far:
  • Extra/new earths
  • Moved the battery back to the engine bay temporarily to eliminate the wire that runs along the car (the battery is usually in the boot)
  • Wired a 0 gauge cable straight from the starter motor 12V connection to the battery
  • Connected a wire from the live battery to the starter motor ignition connection
  • Replaced/check relays and fuses
None of this has helped at all, the best I've had is a clicking noise (same as a dead battery) which points to lack of power but the live wire to the starter motor ignition connection should have ruled that one.

Any ideas or suggestions? I only have the odd Sunday to work on the car and I'm running out of time, it's either today or try again next month!

In the meantime I'll try yet another starter.

Cheers!

Idrees

Not sure if this will help but has it got an aftermarket alarm system, as i thought my battery kept dying on mine but turned out there was an immobiliser on the car, sometimes it would turn over and sometimes it wouldnt , it was hidden up under the dash board which i didnt know until i pulled the dash apart, only thing i can think of off the top of my head as you have tried everything else

It's not the standard loom as we wire tucked it a few years ago. There's one wire going from the battery to the starter motor and one from the starter to the alternator, it's quite straight forward. I replaced those wires but no joy. I'm swaying towards a dodgy starter motor (even though it works when it's off the car) so we'll see if a new one helps at all.

You have gone 5e from 4e haven't you iddy? Is the starter for a 5e the same as one for 4e?

The starter motors are interchangeable bud, I had the original Glanza starter on my old 5E engine too.

The starter may be dodgy then as off of the car its under no load so would still spin but on the car under load it might be lacking power to crank the car over

Exactly what I'm thinking. I'll see how it goes with another one!

Stating the obvious here, i suspect you've already tried, but you done it with jump-leads from a battery in a running car ?

Yes Dan, I've had jump leads connected to another running car each time I've tried to crank it.

Broken wire/loose connection in your tucked loom?

Fitting the new motor you moved wire to make connection. But as engine turned over it broke connection again?

I only want to crank it over (not start it) so these are the only wires I've got on there that matter, I've replaced them with new cables too but nothing.

Live from battery to starter motor

Earthed battery

Ignition wire to starter motor

Live from starter to alternator

ECU wire to alternator

Wiring loom plug in the alternator

I also removed everything related to the alternator and connected a 12V live straight to the ignition connector on the starter motor, I really thought that would get it to work but nothing. I've checked the power to the starter motor and it's sucking up more than twice of what it should, but it's still not enough power.

Don't break the car :(

I might leave the shell with the bodykit tucked up in the corner for a few years, we've got a lot of new racking and stock coming over the next few weeks though so the space is required more than the car!

One things for sure; it's not an electrical fault. It's got to be something mechanical, I think there's a problem between the flywheel/starter motor.

Maybe the flywheel doesn't even fit right (4E Aasco flywheel drilled out for a 5E) but it did come off a running car.

I still want to get to the bottom of the problem whether I am breaking it or not!

I've now tried 3 starter motors in total, all three of them work perfectly fine off the car. I can't think of anything else other than a flywheel issue, as it is a fair bit thicker than a standard one so maybe that's causing a fault or maybe it has the wrong number of teeth! I will inspect it all when it's off the car

So with the stater fitted you get the clicking noise. That indicats the solenoid is switching over. Does the stater get hot at all if you hold it in the cranking position. If it does that would indicate the armature is jammed. Strange how it doesn't turn the engine over with that fly. Plenty of people have used drilled 4e flys on 5e's. if say its more a mechanical problem rather than electrical. The fact that you had to grind the gear box to allow the engine to turn would have been the first give away for me

• 1 year later...