What's going on? Scrappage Scheme Tragedy!

I have been a car enthusiast like all of you lot on here for years.

I am sad all I see is young kids in financed new vehicles and all cars are starting to look the same.

All old cars are going very cheap at the moment too. The old cars are the proper cars!

The scrappage sceme screwed everything up completely there are hardly any scrapyards now either like there once was!

I miss seeing cossies on the motorway and pointing them out. Everything is becoming scarce to replace cars that anyone can have.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Edited by Ep'd
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a car enthusiast like all of you lot on here for years.

I am sad all I see is young kids in financed new vehicles and all cars are starting to look the same.

All old cars are going very cheap at the moment too. The old cars are the proper cars!

The scrappage sceme screwed everything up completely there are hardly any scrapyards now either like there once was!

I miss seeing cossies on the motorway and pointing them out. Everything is becoming scarce to replace cars that anyone can have.

Anyone else feel the same way?

This!!!!!!

So fucking true, its painful to see that people work hard for there cars like me, and some kids get there parents to buy them cars!

However there's a few "Limited Edition", not to common lol, corsa's by me, but they still get shat on by a N/a starlet lolololol :yahoo:

We are not all like that haha. Ive only owned Jap cars from the 90s & 00s. I do agree that a lot of folk my age have no imagination and just get shitey fabias or corsas on finance. I do enjoy seeing old cars cutting about occasionally, seen an opel manta the other day and had to look twice lol.

It is a shame theres not much older cars going about anymore. All new cars are designed with safety and regulations in mind and this makes them look sh*t. Older cars that were more square shaped look far better than new rounder cars imo.

I don't understand why young drivers all want new corsas and such like which they will never actually own because they will be paying it up for years (unless mummy and daddy bought it for them) and either change car before its fully paid or write it off.

Wonder what the average age of starlet owners is ? Id say the majority fall into the 'young lads' bracket :) As i said the proper enthusiasts are all sorted in decent older cars imo, also from speaking to a few of the local boys with the corsas & fabias etc. it seems they dont really give a fuck about cars.

I know how this is... because most a the "youngsters" are watchin to much towie n the only way is essex and not discovery channel. I am only 25 but still i talk to boys my age and younger with new financed cars and they cant tell the difference between a socket and a spanner. u ask them questions about there setup if its been tuned and they dont know whats been done to it all they know is that its such and such bhp... its a joke man av been buildin my car for two years now and i could tell u every nut and bolt size whats been done, renewed and what hasnt. its been the same way for all my cars. Makes me sick sometimes seein people younger than u drivin better newer cars but its all good. al be the one smiling when ma car is done and showin some newer cars up lol. dont get me wrong there are some new cars that i would love to be in but al just with the starlet for now thats what i always say to my self...

A few things though.

Money in the 1990's had value and when you bought a car then you know that was hard earned money that bought it and so appreciated it more unlike these new cars so common.

Second all these new cars are all computerised, all diagnostic machines and all so no more 10mm spanner to fix anything lol.

Thirdly some of these new cars would beat our old cars and are more reliable especially my mate ate my Glanza he had a remapped 535d twin turbo runnin stupid torque. He was only like 19 so I felt stupid he bought the car and spent 450 on a remap and that's it. Also the new Astra Vxr my mate has done 167mph in it (on a private road) and its financed and standard wtf?

A few things though.

Money in the 1990's had value and when you bought a car then you know that was hard earned money that bought it and so appreciated it more unlike these new cars so common.

Second all these new cars are all computerised, all diagnostic machines and all so no more 10mm spanner to fix anything lol.

Thirdly some of these new cars would beat our old cars and are more reliable especially my mate ate my Glanza he had a remapped 535d twin turbo runnin stupid torque. He was only like 19 so I felt stupid he bought the car and spent 450 on a remap and that's it. Also the new Astra Vxr my mate has done 167mph in it (on a private road) and its financed and standard wtf?

Takes a bit more than a 10mm to fix modern cars, its my job ;) But i get what you mean, you cant do much without diagnostic equipment though.

The new Astra VXR will destroy its diff and gearbox, they had several recalls for it, some had only done a few 100 miles before they had shat the diff through the casing.

It feels good when you have built and modded a car yourself and beat a few bigger cars, a lot of people will never know what that feels like. Mainly the 1.2 Corsa Un-limited edition crew ;)

Yeah your right bud...

But I just think the Scrappage Scheme has ruined everything. I bet most people went ahead not knowing what they were scrapping thinking it was worthless when it was not!

Am with u dan i love the feelin of buildin a car and getting it on the road and for it to be good and feel everything u've done. i like all the new toys thats comin out as standard with good bhp and what not too. Am no sayin for one min a wouldnt like to drive the latest hatches a love the smooth power delivery they give it all feels effortless. :)

It's simple, New cars have cheap insurance.

Only way they can afford them is finance, hence every noob and his cat has one.

It's a shame but I'd rather be able to stand there when asked what car I drive and go well is the only road legal one of its kind on main land uk, yes to most its just a starlet but to me that's my car and it is what I've made it. You can't get much more limited edition than that lol

It's a shame but I'd rather be able to stand there when asked what car I drive and go well is the only road legal one of its kind on main land uk, yes to most its just a starlet but to me that's my car and it is what I've made it. You can't get much more limited edition than that lol

Well said morgey!

Lol my starlets up for sale due to getting an 08 mini john cooper works, so i guess i fall right in this bracket?

My reasoning was i wanted something newer with more power that was affordable for me to run, plus ive always liked the minis.

Most people probably go for newer cars because they're cheaper to insure and run etc. and the majority that dont have an interest in cars arent gonna want an old car when they can get a new car with things like climate, bluetooth etc for affordable rates.

Theres loads of affordable finance deals around nowadays, it makes buying newer cars alot easier.

And on the tuning front.....all you need to do is look at the parts for sale here, people dont have all the extra cash to throw at modding cars now. I personally couldnt justify throwing thousands at modding the starlet for more power etc.

Paying it bit by bit on finance is much more manageable for me.

A few things though.

What kind of power is your glanza making

Exactly that morgey, it's trying to explain it to someone who's not a petrol head though.