HELP?????? engine sounds like a scooby

Can any help please I was driving my starlet gt this morning and it was running fine went and put some petrol in this afternoon drove down the road I was only doing 30mph did about 2 mile then it just started to sound like a Scooby any advice on what it could be please going to do a compression test tomorrow cheers 8o

Running on 3 cylinders most likely. Try leads and plugs dizzy cap and rotor arm. Or worste case its engine damage and ringlands have prob gone start with the nice things first

Definitely sounds like this, had the exact same issue a few years ago on my Festy and it was down to a dodgey coilpack making it run on 3 cylinders.

I had a look at the ht leads and the king lead they haven't popped off but it was dark so have to have a proper look tomorrow is there any way of telling if the coil pack has gone or do I have to just buy a new one I bought the petrol from sainsburys the cheap stuff I think is that bad like? no mate the car don't jerk I drove it to my mates house I went slow dident go over 2000rpm then I towed it home because I don't no whats wrong with it and don't whant to make it any worse if its internally and like I say it just sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders sorry for the spelling lol just gutted about the car :cray:ill keep posted tomorrow cheers for the help

I had a look at the ht leads and the king lead they haven't popped off but it was dark so have to have a proper look tomorrow is there any way of telling if the coil pack has gone or do I have to just buy a new one I bought the petrol from sainsburys the cheap stuff I think is that bad like? no mate the car don't jerk I drove it to my mates house I went slow dident go over 2000rpm then I towed it home because I don't no whats wrong with it and don't whant to make it any worse if its internally and like I say it just sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders sorry for the spelling lol just gutted about the car :cray:ill keep posted tomorrow cheers for the help

Imports are best ran on super unleaded it's not healthy running it on low actane petrol, petrol stations add a chemical during the winter to help the petrol stay liquified, recently people have been having engine running problems because of the imbalance of the chemicals I don't think this os your problem here though but definately run it on better fuel..

it looks like its had recent magnacor leads fitted and sounds funny mostly when on idle but still sounds funny all the time but sounded like it had a pre ingition rattle but not so much bottom end sound just going to do a compression test now

it looks like its had recent magnacor leads fitted and sounds funny mostly when on idle but still sounds funny all the time but sounded like it had a pre ingition rattle but not so much bottom end sound just going to do a compression test now

Yeah i was just going to say try do a compression test see what that shows!

Hope you get it sorted buddy! Also the rota arms are known to crack near the tip at the top over time so that might be worth checking that also

Need help just took spark plugs out and one looked like thisPosted Image and the ignition lead is wet for a compression test do take all plugs out

Looks like you need new spark plug seals going on the oil around the thread on them plugs! I had the same on mine! It's cheap and easy to fix.

I cleaned the plug and ignition lead put it back in started her up still sounds like a scooby and blip the throttle to about 2.5 revs and it sounds like some thing is making a noise near the turbo or internal i dont no much about these gutted

Just a thought because i didnt see anything about your spec - but when my car had an fpr fitted and was overfuelling it sounded rattley and ended up on 3 cylinders as the ringlands in piston 4 went. I hope yours isnt as bad as mine bud :/ but have you an fpr?

right just done compression test i got 80,95.140,140 psi so i think its fucked ye i cleaned the plugs and leads put it back in fired it up still the same spark plug was just coked up again not coverd in oil i pulled out number 1 ignition lead while running it ran on 2 cylinders put that back in then i pulled number 2 lead out and it made no difference but it is still sparking no mate i don't have a fpr on it could my piston rings be knackerd is they any other way off loseing compression what about the spark plug seals

Gessing you done a compression test with the engine cold?

Either way 1 2 are very low

3 4 could be about right on a cold engine? im not to sure cant realy see compression going up by 40ish psi when warm as it should be about 180ish psi on a low miles motor

To me it sounds like the headgasket has gone between 1/2 cylinder i could be wrong though