_shaun_'s forged hybrid gt28 v, wepr,zisco,dta

back with starlet number 4. gutted its not a 4paw but its the next best thing a white 98 spec :p. some of you may know the car a lad forged it and done everything properly. it was then sold to a few clowns who have done it no favors but am confident i get get it back to a decent level. flew down to Manchester to pick it up last week and drove it home. first job was to stick a new thermo in it as it wasnt getting up to temp. then took of the stupid bonnet raisers. had a mate stick it on a ramp and get a good look around it. its going back on Wednesday for new wheel bearings/track rod ends/ball joints / brake pads and a few bits of poly bushing to freshin it up abit. along with a few tidy up jobs. then ill look into a big brake upgrade and stick my gt28 on it and see what sorta power it can pull. plans for it are just a good tidy up likely get rid of the bumper and swap back to a white bonnet. ditch the 16" wheels for some 15s and then just enjoy it with the odd few mods here and there.

current spec is as follows

277bhp @1.5bar

wisco low comp forged pistons 74.5mm s
scat h-beam forged rods
acl bearings
block been honed and skimmed
athena 1.2mm headgasket
port and polished head
uprated valve springs
265 degree billet cams with 8mm lift

arp head bolts

after market throttle pulley

adjustable cam pully

sps clear cambelt cover
magentic sump plugs
magnicore ht leads
j performance front mount short route
samco hosing
civic rad
shite Toyosport td04 turbo kit
blitz nurspec full exhaust system
460cc injectors
walbro fuel pump
rocker cover catch can set up
hks filter
emanage ultimate ecu
poly bush engine mounts
allegedly lsd gearbox
Blitz chrome cooling plate
Paddle clutch
SARD fuel pressure reg and gauge
shite baileys dumpvalve
clear cam cover
TRD Quickshift
OMP deep dish steering wheel
Evo 8 bucket seats
HKS boost gauge
OMP harness
greedy e01 boost controller with remote
BLITZ turbo timer
rear has all been carpeted out
98spec rear lip
98spec front bumper with livesports lip which i twated off a curb on the way home
Rota grids
Brand new headlights
Toyota wind deflectors
bonnet pins
drilled and grooved discs with brembo pads
Bc coilovers
front standard strut brace
tom's rear strut

toad alarm.

climate control

i never bother ma arse taking lots of pics but grabed a few when i was giving it a quick clean

IMG_1027_zpsec4454ce.jpg

IMG_1028_zpsfd78ebbb.jpg

IMG_1029_zps66d502ce.jpg

IMG_1031_zps465853ed.jpg

IMG_1030_zps14478489.jpg

Edited by _shaun_
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice purchase Shaun an welcome back :)

John

cheers just need the weather to sort itself out then i can enjoy it abit more!

A lad up the road from me brought it. Used to tell everyone it was 1 million bhp. When he couldn't even get it to do in 1st.

Originally that "sammasons" had it dude not??

turbotobz mate had it and forged it then it was mapped on a wepr kit. he then sold up and from then ive been told its went though a few peoples hands who appear to just been kids with to much money and not a clue.at some stage a toyosports td04 kit was put on and it made 277bhp in november. but then the guy couldnt get insurance on it so sold it on to a lad man-yoo? who joined here then the head gasket went so he had the headgasket done and new arp bolts put on before swaping it to alex bennet for his civic. i got it off alex as he was gonna break it for parts because he couldnt insure it either. put some miles on it and started a list of parts it needs/i want so hopefully it shall stay in my possession and get the power figures the engines capable of.

Fucking hell this car has had more owners than I have had hot dinners

:o you should learn to cook then mate ive had 7 hot dinners in the last week!

Pm a price for the bonnet if you're selling!

wont be for a little bit mate bonnet isnt high on the prioritys

I like that bumper dude

its alright but i think ill likely go back to a tom's front bumper ive got the skirts and rear spats sitting which i had planned to use on my last car.

• 4 weeks later...

Well works been mental so not had as much time as I'd like with this. Car went to garage for all new ball joints/wheel bearings track rod ends and few other niggly things like a snapped arb bolt.

Got it back and decided some new wheels were in order so went for some axe ex8s they are copy's of the xxr 527s but a far nicer fitment wrapped in some stretch Yokohama pradas. Gave the car a full service and fitted my gt28 kit and side exit and have the intercooler a lick of black as it was manky. Its ballisticly loud. Almost 120Db on idle so looking at my options there to quiten it for the track. Mapping is booked for the 20th of the May but am working pretty much constantly and then heading to ayia napa for a wee break so gonna be tight on time to get this all ready. Got all my gauges to wire in likely stick the battery in the boot give the bay a wee tidy. Most the time I've spent on it has just been trying to tidy bits and bobs from past owners Am not to happy about.

No pictures of the kit fitted as the bay is in a shocking state at the moment.

A1F3A54B-8A3F-417C-B0AA-85A07283867B_zps

41941F2F-2B60-4EBD-A3CA-8F5067E22DA7_zps

It's not mapped so I've been taking it easy the side exit is quite small but Keith thinks it should be fine to make good power its kinda a hybrid gt28 so shall see what happens lol. Most my fun driving is done on some nice country B roads where I very rarely go under 60-70mph so should be able to negate any lag with good gear changes

Hahahahah, my exhaust was 119dB! It is just stupidly loud, Get a bung for it mate honestly makes a huge difference, takes the deafening off it but keeps the awesome sound.

Looking good mate, I like the XXR's

• 9 months later...

well its certianly been awhile so i might aswell update. am not one for taking pictures of my car so have to deal with my poor grammer and bad spelling sadly. ive also likely forgot a fair bit!

the gt28kit was fitted and i done alot of tidy up jobs in preparation for it to go to performance HQ to be mapped. sadly it jumped timing so i had to leave it there and got a call the next day to tell me it made a rather disappointing figure. i was absolutely gutted and asked why and it turns out it wouldnt boost above 1.2bar due to a weak wastegate spring. so i took the car home and orderd a new spring. slowly i relised the car is still an absolute animal so just enjoyed it and worked on tidying things up while i got ready for another run at the dyno. this is how the engine bay looked as i went up to performance HQ.

A0019055-F304-41BE-965D-F79E3AD3A1DA_zps

the smashed 98 spec bumper was doing my head in and kept getting worse so it was time to make way for a tom's bumper and carbon eye lids.

5A2472D9-A143-4237-A24D-26C1359CA0E6_zps

next up i had fitted all new track rod ends/ball joint and wheel bearings when i got the car to keep things fresh underneath i decided to poly bush the lower arms and fit an anti lift kit i also had a rear anti roll bar so i decided to send it all away to be powder coated as i herd shiny parts increase bhp!

C6F1B4D1-BE5B-4AB1-99D9-C3B6087CC813_zps

after this i enjoyed the car over the summer. picked up a greddy RSS so i can run low boost (1.2bar) round the twistys and hammer the button for full boost (hopefully 2bar) on the straights when ever i get a chance to get back to performance hq

D6642738-D93E-43FE-B53E-4CE7ED26C5BF_zps

picked up a set of takatas from socks and a zisco 6 point strut just to gain some more scene points.

7E8837BF-F8E0-4108-85FC-FDFDAEDD1883_zps

out playing with a mates r32 one night down some A roads and i got to the stage after 2-3 mins of having no breaks left at all. so i though fuck it lets sort this out. at the same time i had been debating an electric power steering conversion to get rid of the manky pump. so i decided to to just get ball deep in about it and do it all at once. came home to this package and that was the start of it ended up ditching the abs and doing a front- rear brake split with a wilwood adjustable brake bais valve sadly pics of the pas convertion where on my other phone. i started to re route wires which left me with a bay like this.

AE2D3789-975B-40CC-B417-70DC6A8DB26F_zpsAF45E6BD-E152-4AC5-BFA4-B72553F6FEA5_zps

8EB51A83-23B8-49B9-83B4-08E56C407981_zps

662D4F7E-EBB6-4E9D-AD28-1011BBA83E45_zps

i drove the car a few hours and foolishly forgot to put the sd card back in my ebc so on some soaking wet roads driving to play with some random bora on the motorway i ended up pulling between 2lanes and the hard sholder of the moterway fighting for traction to discover my turbo had decided to give me 2.04 bar of boost! so i returned home and reset it and while checking over my oil and water to make sure all was ok i had decided i had had enough of the ugly fuse box staring at me!. got out my trusty soldering iron and set about it. decided to just get everything in the car and running before i tryed getting it all tidy so this is my passanger foot well.

E6707957-B800-4E1F-AD3B-ED7451A7C8BA_zps

the manky bay once its all done and grommets arrive ill be cleaning it up.

5BA5ED48-1142-49B5-98D4-DA9A880A5EAE_zps

drove around for a day like this and its working perfectly so hopefully this weekend ill get a chance to tidy it all away and have it running again. also picked up this wee strut brace. i have some parts to fit once this is all done along with doing a wee audio install and fitting a tablet instead of a headunit.

938BFACA-8E38-4E26-B944-4A5CDF85AD2F_zps

Edited by _shaun_

Surprisingly the wiring wasn't to bad just need a good system of working though the wires but fuck me getting the plugs and wires though the grommets on the bulk head just frustrated me to the point of Wanting to solder my own eyes out. Be happy when it's done tho I picked up loads of braided sleeving so once am ready to take up the soldering iron again I'll try tidy all the looms

The master cylinder has 2 outputs ran one to power the 2 fronts just with a "T" peice and the 2nd output goes into a wilwood brake bais valve then Out into a t peice that meets the oem hard lines. I've started to try dial it in if it feels like there's to much up front a wee twist and it sends some to the back and vice versa Once the summer comes and i can really push the car think it will be a really hand thing. I've pretty much planned my entire build in my head but the main thing is I want todo as much as possible myself. I love seeing the super clean mental spec cars but I have a far bigger respect for those guys out there putting in the hours to research and having a bash themself. That's where we normally get then new ideas coming from

That sounds like a handy bit of kit. I can definetly see the need with being so light on the rear they tend to hop if you come into a corner a bit hot! I agree, craftsmanship on projects are a great thing but few and far between. If the had the machining tools etc I would be doing a lot more myself. Anything I can do, I do myself.

Keep up the good work mate.

John