So, the other day i decided to go and buy another Starlet. Got it as a little run around whilst the track car is being built with my brother.

Got it for a pretty good price seeing as its an SR.. she is a little leggy with a fine 217k miles on, however its got years of Toyota history from day one. Engine runs sweet, however i wasn't going to expect a totally perfect car..

A few pics once home.

First thing was to give it a good wash down, the paint looks fine in the pics, up close, its not great as its abit swirly, but a detail will get it all back. That'll be happening in a few weeks.

13611618664_a43473f268.jpg

13611333313_e9e06a7cc7_c.jpg

13611298825_f085008a2a_c.jpg

The ole boy before decided at some point to fit some 'rally style' fog lights..the brackets clearly had to go

13611313405_9b6d9e0831_c.jpg

Engine bay, needs a good tidy. Cant have a messy bay.

13611323013_16aca15879_c.jpg

The Classic noob error, needs to be swapped around

13611304885_0eb045f310_c.jpg

The next hilarious find..One KYB SR special on the left...Standard on the right...Nice one !

13611277265_16acf0aecf_c.jpg

13611290695_87b1f70682_c.jpg

As you can see from those pics its had some neglect underneath, a serious amount of mud a little rust, so that was the first thing i set about sorting. Make it clean underneath and mechanically. Then worry about everything else.

One of the first pics starting to attack the rust. Thankfully its only surface, so started taking it back to the bare metal to re-coat

13611586004_2cff2710b7_c.jpg

13611247033_0aeea02cf8_c.jpg

13611597854_939084b4b6_c.jpg

Further progress, stripped, zinc primed, stone chipped and painted. A damn site better and will provide future protection.

13611549774_ffa0870f28_c.jpg

Got the one side done, will attack the other this weekend. Then onto the front, then engine bay!

I would of liked to keep the SR stickers however they were so faded they had to go..Sorry guys.

More updates after the weekend I'm guessing!

Edited by RobSR
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to exciting to report just yet.. Made some more progress today.. Mainly swapping the rear shocks and prepping the other arch for stone chipping..

If anyone doesn't know this spanner trick you will be forever grateful..saved myself a lot of times!

13649021885_2af4ed9e90_c.jpg

The reason why the rear end was all out of whack..

13649077033_a70731b7f8_c.jpg

Spring off! Standard shock on the left wouldn't rebound atal..

13649387974_2ba1cc5b79_c.jpg

Springs on replacement shocks fitted up on the ride hand side..Hopefull the backend will be all freshened up and finished tomorrow..

13653749755_f18933ed6b_c.jpg

I thought it would of a lot of people which is why the price was what it was.. The body doesn't show the miles it has on it apart from abit of surface rust, which could happen to any EP regardless of miles. The engine still runs sweet as a nut, but i have a spare anyways, and lets be honest, an FTE will be in there within the next year!

Edited by RobSR

Nothing to exciting to report just yet.. Made some more progress today.. Mainly swapping the rear shocks and prepping the other arch for stone chipping..

If anyone doesn't know this spanner trick you will be forever grateful..saved myself a lot of times!

13649021885_2af4ed9e90_c.jpg

The reason why the rear end was all out of whack..

13649077033_a70731b7f8_c.jpg

Spring off! Standard shock on the left wouldn't rebound atal..

13649387974_2ba1cc5b79_c.jpg

Springs on replacement shocks fitted up on the ride hand side..Hopefull the backend will be all freshened up and finished tomorrow..

13653749755_f18933ed6b_c.jpg

Just a tip bud, dont crack bolts loose with a ratchet spanner as it can damage the mechanism :) might save ya some spanners lol. Good progress look forward to more mate :)

Cracking looking car for the miles, whats the sills like? Mine wasnt great with 114 on it

They are really good! Like a tiny tiny bit of surface rust again, so ill just rub them back and stone chip them for future proofing again.

Because rally car!!

How did it handle with the funky suspension setup?

Unbelievably it wasn't too bad, but you could see the rear alignment was well out just looking at it.

Just a tip bud, dont crack bolts loose with a ratchet spanner as it can damage the mechanism :) might save ya some spanners lol. Good progress look forward to more mate :)

Yea i know you've gotta be careful, but i have never broke a ratchet spanner in 5 years of starlet fettling!

I also travelled to see and purchase this car the first time it was listed on eBay before the auction came to an end however it was in no state for me to be happy to buy it! Glad you are restoring it to what it should be. Not many left around.

It was just abit tatty thats all, nothing major and easy fixes.

Backend is now all done with matching shocks, will tackle the front and put the matching springs on.

Rear bumper, bonnet, front bumper and lip are being resprayed next week.

Wheel refurb then the exterior will be basically done! Happy days.

think they are lifetime guarantee mate.... for whatever its worth :)

Edited by fishy89

Managed to get a few more hours in on the car this morning. Made some reasonable progress.

The car finally has matching suspension, and all the arches are stone-chipped/undersealed.

I got some Glanza skirts the other week for her so i set about bonding those on, aswell as a TTE lip from idress, so got that fitted aswell. Car is still covered in desert dust, so excuse the state of it! Bonnet and bumpers can now be painted this week. Was meant to be happening last, but i miss judged how long the lip would take to turn up!

A couple of pics.. Next on the agenda is tidying up the engine bay.

Quite happy with the height its sitting at now..

13901827186_12951b3821_c.jpg

Being a bender with some "scene tape" holding the skirt in place whilst the adhesive was going off. Its screwed in either end aswell, but a bit of tiger seal won't go amiss.

13924953895_ee59af66f6_c.jpg

Front lip bonding on..

13901841442_9e1a56b22a_c.jpg

and a pic loosely offered up to the bumper..(yes excuse the dirt)

13901842866_8d6dcf9874_c.jpg

Not really sure whats next, finish tidying it up, a detail then probably new poly bushed lower arms, new FARB, and RARB.. :)

Edited by RobSR