'Charge notice' advice please!

Well I've just received a parking ticket in the post, for staying at a service station for too long ( didn't bother sleeping before japfest and attempted to sleep in my car at the services) so naturally I was there for three hours waiting for the other starlets to turn up. I was there like an hour longer and they're asking me for £50, or £100 in 14 days. I've read a few websites but not found anything concrete yet.

A lot of people are telling me to ignore it, has anyone else had dealings with private parking firms?

What do you guys reckon?

I got a parking fine once from a private company, ignored all the letters I got. They sent a few letters asking me to pay then sent a letter telling me they would take me to court. I just didn't respond and never heard anything after that.

Private firms can't really do much apart from send you a few letters tbh lol

what proof has been provided to back up the over stay?

is it one of those number plate recognition cameras that scan you on the way in and then on the way out?

if yes, then just pay it before it goes up and gets out of hand, especially since you know that you overstayed

A mate of mine had a parking ticket off a supermarket using a private firm (can't remember which). They sent him letters threatening to get the courts involved and to increase the fine. He ignored it, and nothing has become of it. If it's a council owned firm on the other the hand, then I think you may have too bite the bullet.

Definitely ignore! Like people said, if it's Council then easiest to pay up but private firms you can just ignore.

I got a ticket from a private firm and just ignored it. I did research online first though, because the fine was ridiculous, like £100 for overstaying by 10 minutes. Turns out that parking tickets can only be a fair and reasonable penalty, i.e. reasonable compensation to the carpark operator for blocking up a space for longer than you paid for. But because the fines are so heavy, it's impossible for the firm to demonstrate in court anyway so they won't even bother trying to take you.

When the carpark is free too like services' carparks, they don't stand any chance of successfully getting cash out of you. Fuck 'em!

Private firm clamped my mums car a few years back made her walk about 32 miles in -1 degrees with all her work bags to get home...

I went over after work forceably removed the clamps without causing much/any damage to them popped them in the bush and told them where they could be found.

She got a message saying about sueing and court then nothing.

Council - pay

Private - ignore