MK1 GT Snow Edition - Full respray finally

Ah yeah also the Rev gauge doesn't work properly. It kinda works but reads way too low and bounces a bit... Managed to get a little video on the way to socks before I did all the work to get some feedback. Got a feeling the actual gauge may need cleaning or something th_20140616_142118_zpsn2qeezfb.jpg

Mine did the exact same thing you have to change the whole thing mate...the was a mishap only part and I let some stuff ground off in mine and it went mad... That and my gauges also went wonky ... From the look of things and all te little problems that could have happened as well in this car... Something grounding off that is

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please tell me you got a good deal on this car? haha

There were cheaper GTs in better condition with more money spent that I could have got instead. But I ended up going for this because of the age... The car does have some good bits haha! I'm just fixing all the problems before I focus on the good stuff :p.

Mine did the exact same thing you have to change the whole thing mate...the was a mishap only part and I let some stuff ground off in mine and it went mad... That and my gauges also went wonky ... From the look of things and all te little problems that could have happened as well in this car... Something grounding off that is

Mint :(. Don't really want to change the clocks because it's only done 80k... I'll take them apart when I get a second and see if I can find any obvious problems with them and if I can fix them or not. Thanks for the heads up :)

Sam has a timing light if you want us to bring it next time we see you to set the base timing up properly? usually makes a pretty big difference.

Ha! Funny you should say that as I was going to try another ignition set up and then go get someone to check the timing with a light before buying a new set up. So yes please :p. Would really appreciate it if you could :)!!!!!

The only thing that would make me think mines a snow edition then is the headlights as it has the yellow holders in them

I couldn't tell you about you the fogs as it didn't come with any and it come with a mk2 front bumper but I'm Iam after a mk1 bumper soon

The only thing that would make me think mines a snow edition then is the headlights as it has the yellow holders in them

I couldn't tell you about you the fogs as it didn't come with any and it come with a mk2 front bumper but I'm Iam after a mk1 bumper soon

I'm not sure if it was an option or not for the none snow edition models to have yellow bulb holders, however mine does also have them. I still need to go around and take some photos of the bulbs, see if the suspension is any different and see what the lark is with the alternator or starter motor lol. It has a sticker on the back too under the offside light which might be to do with it although not entirely sure as I can't read Japanese lol!

I've been a busy bum today starting on the bodywork. Thought I'd dive in the deep end and start with what I consider to be the worst part, the 3 dents on the A pillar/above the drivers door...

This is what it originally looked like.

20140621_130826_zpsigwrgpkq.jpg

I started by taking all the paint off so that filler would stick to the surface. Last thing I want is it cracking or falling off!

20140621_132922_zpsjb0h1chz.jpg

After a few layers it started to take a shape

20140621_152238_zpso9rk5lka.jpg

IMG-20140621-WA0006_zpsolijpudt.jpg

IMG-20140621-WA0008_zpscgzliugj.jpg

And with a bit of primer and some flattening it now sits like this :)

20140621_211705_zpsbxnypsy1.jpg

20140621_211713_zpsm3rmd4fu.jpg

20140621_211717_zpsutrtqbja.jpg

20140621_211721_zpsaflnaj6k.jpg

20140621_211726_zpsszragvup.jpg

It's not 100% perfect and does have a little dent still there but once I've painted it, flattened it and buffed it I'd be very surprised if it's more than barely visible at all :)!

I've also started going around getting rid of any long sitting dirt like around the windows and in the recesses of the trim n stuff to tidy it up in the little details...

Before

20140621_175133_zpsghijcmjn.jpg

20140621_175140_zpsndzbhduo.jpg

and after

20140621_175154_zpsauu7hrj4.jpg

20140621_175202_zpsyj2f9nir.jpg

I'll be painting the pillar tomorrow and going to attempt to blend it into the roof... Technically I'd be safest to spray the whole roof and blend it in the C pillars low down to try and hide any imperfections but I want to try and blend it over the roof to see what happens. I think it should work fine to be honest but if not, it's not going to set me back any further than what I already am, and will just paint the whole roof :).

Hope it's sunny tomorrow!!

I'm not sure if it was an option or not for the none snow edition models to have yellow bulb holders, however mine does also have them. I still need to go around and take some photos of the bulbs, see if the suspension is any different and see what the lark is with the alternator or starter motor lol. It has a sticker on the back too under the offside light which might be to do with it although not entirely sure as I can't read Japanese lol!

I'm not to sure either on the yellow headlights being an option or to be honest I don't even no if mine are orignal headlights someone could of put them on , take a few pics and I'll get a few of mine as well might be able to compare , as for the sticker on mine the previous owner decided to rattle can the whole car white and sticker it with the castrol rally stickers fuck knows what they was thinking it was Awfull so I have no boot sticker !

Nice bit of body work there tho buddy I've been doing body work allday on mine sanding down the rest of it the whole shell is in primer just getting out any imperfections then go over and it again with primer

Sweeeeeet :D I was wondering how them dents would turn out...Looking good mate it will look spot on when you are finished

came out alright :). Still need to polish the roof and hide the blend a little to see how it comes out. Might end up painting the roof if I'm not happy with it lol.

Thumbs up :)

Cheers dude :)

Sick good work i envy your filling/spraying abilities so bad haha. Can't wait to see it

Haha! Just time and patience my friend :). You'll see when thingy thing ehem ehem haha :)

It looks mint seen a snapchat just now boy has talent :)

too kind :p. Any jobs going at your place? Lol!

I'm not to sure either on the yellow headlights being an option or to be honest I don't even no if mine are orignal headlights someone could of put them on , take a few pics and I'll get a few of mine as well might be able to compare , as for the sticker on mine the previous owner decided to rattle can the whole car white and sticker it with the castrol rally stickers fuck knows what they was thinking it was Awfull so I have no boot sticker !

Nice bit of body work there tho buddy I've been doing body work allday on mine sanding down the rest of it the whole shell is in primer just getting out any imperfections then go over and it again with primer

I think I saw that for sale a few times on ebay:p. Did they make it a rally car or something? All the quality is down to the prep matey :). Take your time and get rid of all the imperfections you can and it will show in the final result. The rest is just being ruthless and not worrying that you'll make a mess haha :p.

Epic work ad how did you get the plastics of to clean behind them or what did you use?? I have some bits on the glanza like this

Cheers dude :)! To be honest I just took the window out and the trim off. I used G3 to clean it although any polish would have done. :)

Haha adam my job is hard. day of grand theft auto 5 lol :D bring gear do my skirts at jae you have 3 days lmao :D

if it were more suitable conditions mate I would haha! Hard work pft ;)

Coming along nicely dude :-) was it u pipping at me on a38? Urs is the only mk1 I can think.of around this way apart from Simons haha

it was me haha!! Saw you a mile off ;)

Well I managed to get the pillar painted today but also decided to get rid of a scrape on the side at the same time. It didn't take long and really needed doing so why not.

Originally looked like this

20140622_132551_zps43zpvzjj.jpg

Then like this

20140622_151924_zps4g6inek9.jpg

And finally like this

20140622_162453_zpsqupzcgpr.jpg

I still need to go over and polish the roof and see how the blend looks. I also need to flatted all the paintwork and polish it so excuse that it's not mint yet, but here's the dent free pillar :)

IMG-20140622-WA0001_zpshpvsox4a.jpg

20140622_183146_zpsvckve0zf.jpg

20140622_183215_zpsxfotl5tc.jpg

20140622_183227_zps6zesboeo.jpg

Happy with it so far :). See how the blend comes out after I've flattened it and polished it up :)!

Yea I see it a few times on eBay , it was a drunk bid I put on it and completely forgot till my phone went of telling me I had won it haha

I'm guessing it was some sort of rally car with the amount of mud I pulled out of everywhere

Yea I'm in no rush so taking my time with the body work it's all down to the prep for a good finish and plus my mate works in a body shop so I get him down to help me out sometimes he will be spraying it for me

Also I see you've take of the black strip that run along the roof edge from back to front are you putting your back one as mine kind of lost it's shape and looks tatty was wondering if you could get new ones

Edited by Adam-Gt-

I'm sure it will be worth it when it's done mate :)... I certainly will be putting it back on although it does have a bit missing out of it for some reason. Looks like it been chewed or something lol! I ask my buddy who works for toyota how much they were and apparently with staff discount they're still about £110 each! So get one from a scrap car if I were you lol. I will be eventually.

Edited by aaddzz123