MK1 GT Snow Edition - Full respray finally

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Jo said I ended up pulling an all nighter last night to get the car finally in paint. I spent about 5 hours masking the car off somehow. I'm not sure what I did such a long route seeing as I probably could have done it in about an hour if I'd just used a big bag instead... But I finished the prep yesterday in the day and took more trim off to make it easier later on, got to the unit, stripped it down, masked it up, did a few coats, back together and home for 6am. Had a few hours kip but still exhausted. Think I'll have a cold shower and go back to bed lol!!

Excuse the phone photo quality.

20140902_031413_zpsahpthalb.jpg

20140902_054511_zpscmpxqmmq.jpg

I didn't get chance to do the front lip as it originally reacted with the paint that was already on there when I tried priming it. Need to take it all off and start from scratch which I will do tomorrow providing it's not raining. I need to flatten and polish the car too. It's a good finish overall but I did get one or two small runs because I put the first coat on too wet. Typical lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers mate :)! Currently I'm cleaning up some mk1 rear lights I got around to buying as they were badly tinted with the wires also cut off and I'm also refurbishing the glow badge as it was going crispy and flaking away around the edges which really let it down... Now that I've stripped it down it might be quite hard to get it exactly the same as it was before and therefore I'm thinking of maybe doing something a little different such as a different font, maybe having "GT Turbo" instead or something similar. Probably a different colour too. If I don't like it, I'll have done all the hard work the first time around and it will be fairly easy to start over again.

20140915_213913_zps491kmedb.jpg

20140915_213923_zpsbi7bwb6e.jpg

20140915_214447_zpsbvbbvsgi.jpg

20140915_214928_zpsykeegvdr.jpg

20140915_220850_zpshto2gjh6.jpg

20140918_122606_zpsbfowqlqs.jpg

20140918_122621_zpsuu8cd4an.jpg

I'm not 100% convinced... I think something subtle and a little different would be cool and original.

Cheers grant. I think the wheels are a massive let down. I think the style are okay, offset needs spacing out a little, but the finish on the wheels is shit lol! Curbed is an understatement. I still have the old wheels from my previous GT and was considering putting them on but they still need a blast and a refurb as they're flaking from my previous lazy respray.

I'm not 100% convinced... I think something subtle and a little different would be cool and original.

Cheers grant. I think the wheels are a massive let down. I think the style are okay, offset needs spacing out a little, but the finish on the wheels is shit lol! Curbed is an understatement. I still have the old wheels from my previous GT and was considering putting them on but they still need a blast and a refurb as they're flaking from my previous lazy respray.

Please tell me they're the bronze multispokes? I think I just had a crisis imagining them on a white Mk1.