MK1 GT Snow Edition - Full respray finally

I'm sure it will be worth it when it's done mate :)... I certainly will be putting it back on although it does have a bit missing out of it for some reason. Looks like it been chewed or something lol! I ask my buddy who works for toyota how much they were and apparently with staff discount they're still about £110 each! So get one from a scrap car if I were you lol. I will be eventually.

I hope so mate it's taking up a lot of my time and my money haha

Jesus £110 each looks like I'll be giving mine a good clean up they have abit of overspray on them from last owner who sprayed the car hopefully nothing abit of thinner won't remove

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could use your spraying/ body work skills on my 2 ep's haha I'm only down near Tamworth.

Coming along nicely though mate

What brand paint are you using?

I'm still learning myself to be honest buddy! I've done paint here and there for years but don't know it all... I personally learn from trial and error, just getting out there and doing it. Can't really risk it on "customer" cars though :p... But depending on what you need doing I may be able to help?

Cheers :)!

I'm using the paint mixed by my local shop. It's a 2k as it's a solid colour and I prefer to use a 2k solid rather than base coat and clear. Just quicker and easier in my opinion.

I hope so mate it's taking up a lot of my time and my money haha

Jesus £110 each looks like I'll be giving mine a good clean up they have abit of overspray on them from last owner who sprayed the car hopefully nothing abit of thinner won't remove

That's what I thought haha! You'll find thinner removes quite a lot of stuff. Actually pretty good on tar and tough dirt too. Just don't go mental with it on paint as obviously, could rub through quite easily. It might mist plastics over too such as wind deflectors, so just try it right on the tip or something before if you're unsure..... I sound like the back of a tin :p

Wellllll I went too hard when flattening back the roof roof and roof and ended going back to primer under the new paint. Shouldn't have gone so far with the primer and chances are it would have been fine but this is a project and a learning curve after all ;).

Through the blend

20140628_073355_zpskyxmc2d7.jpg

So... The roof needs painting ideally. I thought it makes sense anyway seeing as there's been long standing bird shit on there in the past anyway having left loads of marks that I can't get rid of plus there's another dent in the roof that I didn't originally notice.... So currently the bodywork looks like this...

There was a dent here, half way through flattening it when I had to go view a house so had to put some paint on to hide bare metal lol

20140628_073401_zpskefnkvp9.jpg

20140628_073415_zpsvxoxtjeg.jpg

20140628_073424_zpsqnbbzufj.jpg

20140628_073432_zpsjeitkgdk.jpg

Two steps forward one step back n all that haha :)

Looking good. Remember, if you need activator or primer we have approximately 12 litres of activator and 16 litres of primer (I think). Coming down to the next MFN so let me know before then!

You know I won't turn that down haha! I'll have whatever you don't want tbh. Can always use a bit of both. :p

I've been getting rid of that dent in the middle of the roof today. I originally was just building it up with paint but thought it might take forever so ended up smearing some filler over it to speed things up. It probably took longer doing it that way to be honest seeing as there wasn't really and filler left when I was done lol! But here we are for now.

20140702_133632_zpsy1sinisp.jpg

20140702_171205_zpsrsbvfird.jpg

Very nice mate. Love the body work repairs. Something I'd like to have a crack at actually. I think you've inspired me to do some DIY repairs to my motor. Got two weeks off soon so will get it all prepped before winter comes. Ultimately want it done professionally but my first priority is to get myself a GT turbo.

To be honest I don't blame you for being pissed off. Stuff as obvious as that should have been mentioned. Guttering I know.

I bought a Fiat Punto GT 1.4 8V turbo. Had it a week before the wheel flew off as I was driving round town. I was lucky I didn't kill anyone! Turns out the flipping numpty used to short of wheel threads so the nuts didn't tighten up properly! I'm glad you sorted it out before there was an accident. Smart.

I was looking to wait for a GT Turbo comes on sale here but by the sounds of it that's not always a good thing lmao!

Cool i'll bring a selection then :) also have a mint ep80 bumper bar (well sam does) if you is interested?

Pics don't show on works computers so i can't see how the roof turned out :(

Haha! It's like Christmas :p. You'll have to talk to Jo about the bumper bar. I'm not 100% sure exactly what she wants to do yet but I'm sure she'll happily natter away with you at MFN later :).... Probably a good thing pictures don't work haha! It's not very pretty at the moment ;).

Very nice mate. Love the body work repairs. Something I'd like to have a crack at actually. I think you've inspired me to do some DIY repairs to my motor. Got two weeks off soon so will get it all prepped before winter comes. Ultimately want it done professionally but my first priority is to get myself a GT turbo.

To be honest I don't blame you for being pissed off. Stuff as obvious as that should have been mentioned. Guttering I know.

I bought a Fiat Punto GT 1.4 8V turbo. Had it a week before the wheel flew off as I was driving round town. I was lucky I didn't kill anyone! Turns out the flipping numpty used to short of wheel threads so the nuts didn't tighten up properly! I'm glad you sorted it out before there was an accident. Smart.

I was looking to wait for a GT Turbo comes on sale here but by the sounds of it that's not always a good thing lmao!

Thanks matey :)! I'm very DIY supportive with pretty much everything. There was a time I knew nothing about mechanics or paintwork but I learnt from having a crack myself and I'm really really glad that I just got on and did it instead of paying someone else... Have a go mate. If it doesn't turn out great, do some research, ask some questions and get advice, and try again! You'll be glad you did it yourself :).

It's all in the past now, but it is annoying being told loads of faults in person when you've drove miles and miles to collect a car when the problems were never mentioned in the advert. And then finding out some of those faults were pretty serious is even more annoying lol... Mistakes are made though :)

unlucky with the Punto lol! A few of my friends have had similar experiences. One friend's wheel came off, went into a field and he never found it! Searched for hours and not a thing haha.

You can't be sure you've got a good car if you buy it off a forum unfortunately although it does help if they have a good build thread to look back on :)

Just been catching up on this. Good work addz so far. It'll come right in the end.

Hey sexy! Thanks mate, I'm being held back at the moment by the weather and not having space to paint the roof. It's fine doing little bits but painting your roof on the side of the road isn't ideal with bits floating around, flies and insects, people walking past and over spray landing on everything in the area. I've bought myself a gazebo with meshed sides but it's 4mx4m and won't really fit on the road lol! Figuring something out though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Amjad :). Slow progress but getting there haha.

I finally managed to get my hands on some suspension and lowered the car on shocks and springs yesterday. Sits like a normal car now and handles a dream compared to before. I also put 45 profile tyres on the front and 50 on the rear. Ran this set up on my old gt and felt it just handled better. Front is more responsive now which is nice.

I also changed the starter motor because it was sticking and left me stranded a few times. I had to change a coolant hose at the same time which had a pin hole and was losing water. All fun and games getting wet under the car lol. She due for a wash lol!!

Also turns out that this is a snow edition 100% and the starter motor was much bigger than the new one. I've kept it to rebuild or try and service or something lol.

20140719_135303_zpspot3gifp.jpg

20140719_135332_zpswno5uern.jpg

20140719_141549_zps4qp5rlno.jpg

20140719_141532_zpslm2cowcm.jpg

2014-07-19%2023.59.00_zpsc8yzn8eo.png

Nice work man !! I'll have to dig out my starter motor and compare it see if mine is a snow edition

Going to pick up an engine for mine next week so hopefully I'll have her back running

Cheers dude :). Did you get your engine? The starter was a massive difference. Should Deffo be able to tell the difference physically :).

No more stilts :)!

Stranded a few times? Didn't mention that girlfriend had to attempt to push you out of some awkward situations!! Glad it's sorted now :)

Clean her NOW!!!

There were some funny situations haha! I have a personal favorite which I'll keep between us ;).

Well been busy again. I forgot to mention that I have fixed the clocks. I ended up taking a mk3 tacho and using that. Turns out they're exactly the same but mounted upside down lol. Swapping it out cured the problem and now works as it should :).

20140713_185810_zpsvige67iw.jpg

I've also been quietly gathering parts to go td04 which I managed to fit today. I had the manifold braced before I fitted it and will also be putting a brace on the decat after I've bent it a bit so it fits nicely without any pressure pulling the exhaust down as it currently does. Not a very good fitting kit but I expected it to be honest lol.

20140714_143723_zpsegdbfn6r.jpg

20140714_164445_zpswxkndzwi.jpg

20140726_203928_zpsqmo59g5r.jpg

After a slow un boosted 10 miles lol

20140727_022616_zpsiu5hdy9h.jpg

And i'm also half way through fitting this stealthy addition :).

20140727_022628_zpsly5l5vit.jpg

Edited by aaddzz123

Mines 100% snow edition I've got a big beefy starter motor aswell

Snow friends haha :).

I'm now running fully on td04! I just need to plumb in my boost gauge, pressure reg and fuel pump so that I can turn the boost up a little :). I also finished off my intercooler piping which is all stealthy! Didn't have to cut the bumper what so ever and it's all braced in properly with the pipes being as short as possible too. Really quite happy with the end result.

20140728_205504_RichtoneHDR_zpszurgwy1c.

Super short pipework

20140728_205628_RichtoneHDR_zpsafrdwknc.

And barely even visible :)

20140728_203723_RichtoneHDR_zpsfqz0agx3.

20140728_203655_RichtoneHDR_zpsosiamcyx.

Looking to finish the bodywork within a few weeks now. After that I'll be thinking about taking the engine out to change the clutch and sort the disgusting firewall out lol!