Well, who ever reads my thread will have seen my n/a had gone past the point of being worth fixing, i was looking for a cheap car, this was my mates mums and had been parked for a year and not moved, offered her hundred quid for it and it was mine!

How I bought it

6DB3D6F7-128E-49C3-8DAF-78B663093C70_zps

FDCD73A7-1C8D-4DE5-927B-B279B28A4862_zps

When i had both on the road

966F4971-9199-4B49-8768-389F5D86A1CF_zps

Was thinking of chucking the bandeds on it, this changed my mind aha

B495D3AC-3EEE-4CE9-9D62-B33AE1A96383_zps

Chucked the bmc on there, sounds really good on a k-series!

63516D8C-5604-4C8C-B8E9-527FC4641732_zps

Done a load of little bits, Bonnet raisers, the tpi wheel nuts off the starlet, headunit and sub (which are now broke), 3-series gear knob as the rover one was a disgusting shape, painted the steels, took off the tow bar, de-badged and de-wipered and best of all, £80 coilies!

95CC9AD9-5449-4090-9116-8090335D77C6_zps

D77F52A1-1502-4E00-8F9F-95D2959F5324_zps

A378E23D-FBEE-432D-9E58-845AB7E4EA66_zps

Luckily did it all at kwikfit, got it tracked aswell

46DB328E-7977-439F-B626-354BD938E75B_zps

F9EAAE27-A28A-44B2-9D93-971E14152E56_zps

And the headgaskets been done!

Edited by dan106

Can't complain at £100, owned a zr( and a grey zs for a few weeks as insurance was ridiculous at 19) I took regular slating's about the head gasket but mine never failed . Lots of weight can be stripped from these too, good luck with her :) Any more plans or just a run around?

James

Edited by JamesD89

Bargain for £100, they are a lot of car for the money, and they've got a really good chassis under them (double wishbone front/fully independant rear).

I was going to suggest some ZS shocks and springs but I see you've already got some coilovers (which probably handle worse but you don't often see a lowered 45 lol). As you probably already know all the good bits from other MG/Rovers and also some Hondas will also fit i.e. 282mm brakes.

I've got a ZS TD, lovely to drive. What size K series is in this? They are supposed to be good engines when they work.

Can't complain at £100, owned a zr( and a grey zs for a few weeks as insurance was ridiculous at 19) I took regular slating's about the head gasket but mine never failed . Lots of weight can be stripped from these too, good luck with her :) Any more plans or just a run around?

James

Yeah i was a bit pissed to pay £80 on top of my starlet insurance for this!

Plans so far are just little bits really, pressed plates and my deep dish steering wheel, an interesting gearknob maybe

Although ive just been offered a 1.6 k series engine fitted for £200 if i buy headgasket and bolts, im thinking about it aha

Bargain for £100, they are a lot of car for the money, and they've got a really good chassis under them (double wishbone front/fully independant rear).

I was going to suggest some ZS shocks and springs but I see you've already got some coilovers (which probably handle worse but you don't often see a lowered 45 lol). As you probably already know all the good bits from other MG/Rovers and also some Hondas will also fit i.e. 282mm brakes.

I've got a ZS TD, lovely to drive. What size K series is in this? They are supposed to be good engines when they work.

Yeah was well happy getting coilovers for 80, it handles much better than when it was a bloody barge aha, i might htink about doing the brakes, solid disks are definately a let down considering its got abs! Will i loose the abs changing the brakes?

Sadly its the 1.4, but as above it might be getting a 1.6 with a mildly ported head, need to sell some starlet parts aha!

No you wont lose ABS.

The solid disk setup isn't very good is it lol, overheats easily, I've got a complete vented 262mm setup for the fronts if you're interested, also got the 240mm rear disc setup as well, not sure if they're a straight swap for drums though you'll have to check.

I'd be tempted to drop a VVC in there lol, would surprise a few being a 45.

No you wont lose ABS.

The solid disk setup isn't very good is it lol, overheats easily, I've got a complete vented 262mm setup for the fronts if you're interested, also got the 240mm rear disc setup as well, not sure if they're a straight swap for drums though you'll have to check.

I'd be tempted to drop a VVC in there lol, would surprise a few being a 45.

How much you looking at for it? The amount of stuff i wana buy is ridiculous aha! Na vvc seems too expensive really, i just hate how little power the 1.4 has in the lower rev range, im not too bothered about the drums on the back really just want the fronts to be a bit better tbh!

i seem to remember reading somewhere that these share parts/underpinnings from 90s civics, egs or ej/k. might be worth looking into for cheap uprated parts prehaps. make sure you get a 'rovertaken' sticker for it lol!

i seem to remember reading somewhere that these share parts/underpinnings from 90s civics, egs or ej/k. might be worth looking into for cheap uprated parts prehaps. make sure you get a 'rovertaken' sticker for it lol!

Yeah its the same shell, the coilovers are off an mb6 civic estate aha

Yeah the headgasket was done like a thousand miles before it got parked up, apparently its got the upgrade but im not sure.

Changed the front tyres today as the scrubbing was unbelieveable! still balloons so the rides still lovely and comfy aha, i havent had a comfy car like ever!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks good for a rover

I hear this so much aha, cheers dude

Looks awesome , nice and comfy a rovers are

Yeah it is comfy, so much more boring than the starlet though

I love how that steering wheel looks in there, would be tempted to get one for mine but not being able to reach the indicators would do my head in.

I notice your clutch pedal is high, here's a cheap fix: http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/repair-improvement-kits-1/products/rover-400-45-zs-clutch-pedal-adjustment-kit

Yeah its a strange contrast to all the fake wood, you get used to it after a while, Ive got a 25mm spacer between the boss and steering wheel aswell

Yeah, thats got quite annoying recently, been meaning to look into to sorting it out since i bought it, the throttle is in a horrible place aswell really, so bloody difficult to heel and toe in it, more like sidefoot and toe aha

Daftly gangster man, keep them on!

Sadly i couldnt keep them on, I snapped the flexi in literally 20 mins, made the sump leak worse, melted the rear tyres in a seperate place to where the starlet melted em and scraped the whole underneath, need 16s for the rover, i really cba to be that low with this comfort-mobile! But it will get stanced dont you worry

id delete the chrome on it, go for a black that matches the plastic bumpstrips on the sides or something :D

Yeah ive been thinking of what to do it in, probably gonna wrap the roof either gloss or satin black too.

Took some daylight pics of the bandeds before i took them off, youll also see that had a play with the grill, sprayed it with that cheap arse headlight tint stuff, and got some pressed plates on it too.

01AD87FC-30D0-42B2-AB8C-B291F2315715_zps

3AD100E5-C570-4487-A201-C6D101664CDD_zps

155FEF56-7CBB-4DA3-BDAE-A87252CD43D5_zps

Think this is my best pic of the rover aha

85EDC458-F4EF-4AD3-B9AA-619784873EC3_zps

Yellow HID's and wind deflectors next, wheels, eventually....

PS: Bandeds are for sale!

I gotta sell em, to fund wheels for this! Ideally I want some 16" grid v's, but then again it does look good on bands, I'm

Not sure what to get!

But 14s are defiantly a no, this is what my flexi looks like now...

F024CB6E-D552-4FAA-ADC4-0CB4577891E2_zps