Back in a GT! grey mk2 auto.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stunning colour mate, I ran a midland rebuilt tongs, arc setup was brilliant, instant spool.

Good luck with her

James

Cheers James, it is a nice grey, if it was just another black gt i might have not bothered with it tbh

Missed this thread!

Good lord, we can't get rid of you can we Bean? Back in a Starlet again :D

Some really good progress happening with this mate, nice to see it getting back up to scratch, obviously the previous owner took a few liberties!

Im a bit of a lurker i never completely dissapeared. Its good to be back in a GT its reminding me of the fun i had in my white toms gt years ago.

Its strange the botches ive found as the car is in very good condition cosmetically and the engine box ect is mint. its like the exhaust has been bodged to get it through an mot quickly. im not fussed i just wish i could get hold of a hks silent power system to replace it. I would like to see if i could get some kyb sr shocks from japan too but im not sure the best way to go about it.

I got the decat fitted it didnt seem to make much difference tbh. I think the main thing holding the car back is the stock actuator, its so weak i can open the waste gate right up with my hand. That and the stock intercooler. Im not going after big bhp i just want to help it shift along a little.

Edited by Bean
  • 1 month later...

I got a few more parts.

Arc bov with fitting adapter for the efi pipe.

20150330_164938_zpsz7rcpbzx.jpg

and after a strip down and clean up.

20150331_172829_zpsom3seuqc.jpg

I also got a Jam twin port actuator boxed as new, looks like it was never fitted.

20150330_170918_zpsl0sfntby.jpg

and got them both fitted, it turned out my stock actuator was only held on with one bolt :crazy:

20150331_172902_zps5cyya2j1.jpg

20150331_185458_zpshvc2elju.jpg

the car now boosts much better, more responsive and the low boost setting it what was high boost and high boost seems to now take the stock boost gauge to the last mark. Time to get a proper one fitted now.

cheers for that mate but it looks like ive got one sorted now. its coming from canada with a cusco hot pipe. that will be about all the bits i need now for a nice little hybrid setup.

I'm liking this very much I have an auto v love it, love the drive & the noise they make:-) let me no if the ARC makes any difference when you fit it. I keep looking at that blitz decat on eBay for sale at the moment was going to buy it but after reading your thread that it doesn't make much difference, don't think I will bother.

the blitz decats are great bits of kit. Just quality Japanese parts not like some of the crap you normally see on ebay. That one has been on ebay for a good while now. i think he needs to drop the price a little.

I think i didn't notice much difference was due to my worn out stock actuator. now ive got the jam one on the car goes much better.

Cheers Calum. I just cant leave these alone.

I think i paid £120 delivered for my blitz decat which i was happy to pay and i think it was a good price.

I also sorted the wiring out for the cd player. I went to remove the crappy pioneer one the car came with and fit my alpine one from a gt4 ive stripped.

i was met with what i always seem to find when ever i go to do this! Loads of bullet connectors and crap wiring.

Socks was good enough to cut a loom out of a breaker gt and send me it. I cut all the crap out of my car loom and soldered this oem loom back in then heat shrinked it all and fitted the adapter properly, then a new loom for the cd player and i was good to go. All 4 speakers work now too.

i think i took pics but photobucket is down atm.

I also found a crap earth which i think is for the oem ignition barrel light so i cleaned this up and moved it to a better position. The next thing i want to sort is the heater panel hardly any of the buttons work but ive got one on the way :D

Edited by Bean
  • 2 weeks later...

Update.

I got the old stuff took off and got the new bits out their boxes.
i replaced all gaskets and swapped a couple of studs over to the hybrid and got it bolted together.

20150404_123025_zpsadbpoat4.jpg

20150404_173849_zpsyzixextl.jpg

I got it fitted and then thought it was a good time to take the manky leaking sump off.

20150405_192608_zpsyydaix7d.jpg

There was already a magnetic sump plug fitted so i didnt need to use the one i bought. it was pretty clean and there was absolutely nothing on the oil pickup strainer.

I cleaned the sump inside and out then went over it with a twisted wire wheel in a grinder on the outside to clean it up and remove any rust. Then i washed it out again and wiped it down with thinners. Then some etch primer.

IMG-20150405-WA0015_zps79zk9ofh.jpeg

then some normal primer and a light sand to remove a few bits in it, graphite grey and then lacquer. i did it very quickly as i wanted the car back together.

20150406_104918_zps4q3viy7m.jpg

After this i resealed the sump got the car back together and waited for my new exhaust to arrive which took longer than i thought the stock one snapped in half so nothing to do but wait and it wasn't worth welding it.

I was going to york for a few days so i never got anything done for a few days. when i landed the exhaust hadn't been delivered as no one was about. My girlfriend offered to go to Carlisle to collect it which was good of her.

She returned with this :eek:

20150410_174905_zpsop3d6t7t.jpg

I got the exhaust fitted that night. no pics yet unfortunately as it was a rush job. There was no back hanger so i quickly made up a new one from 10mm stainless round bar and tigged it onto the back box.

I also changed the thermostat for an ADL one, removed the air con compressor and fitted the shorter belt, new oil filter filter and oil.
After all this i finally took the car out but it just wasnt boosting high enough. the gauge seemed to read between .5 and .6 bar.

There was no time to look into it as the dyno day at tuning developments was rappily approaching. I picked my brother up and we set off at 7:45. It was a great day, good chat about starlets and other toyotas. I never see any starlet turbos round here so it was the most ive seen since the last dyno day i went to a few years ago.
I also picked up a Jam exhaust manifold thanks to akyakapotter and a cam seal from TD which they had luckily just order a bag in as mine has a slight leak.

The auto box was dying to get on the dyno so on he got

20150412_115755_zpsdavtinst.jpg

20150412_115809_zpsajtzjbed.jpg

Videos

117bhp run
http://vid20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/westcoastbean/Starlet%20stuff/20150412_120555_zpsps6slnft.mp4

125bhp run
http://vid20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/westcoastbean/Starlet%20stuff/20150412_121545_zpsfp6cemr7.mp4

The first run the car only made 117bhp due to the little boost is was running. basically the low boost setting. Two more runs produced the same figure. the car was unstrapped then i noticed the vacuum pipe which runs from the efi pipe to the high low boost pipe must have caught on the power steering belt and ripped as i left it a bit long. I connected it back up and the TD guys were good enough to strap it back down for another couple of runs. the car only boosted .1 bar more and made 8bhp more, 125bhp, still not running enough boost to make stock power.

20150414_203759_zps9rvzslo0.jpg

IMG-20150412-WA0001_zps0touold7.jpeg

20150412_174053_zpsdkt5n3bw.jpg

So a pretty disappointing run but the guys said for the little boost it ran .5 bar it made what you would expect.

We came to the conclusion that the Jam actuator i bought was poo. I had a new TM Developments actuator at home so i thought i would try that.

after getting in from work yesterday i removed the jam and fitted the TMD unit. i started adjusting it then taking the car out to test. and straight away the car was boosting better and hitting fuel cut. after alot of messing about adjusting it i thought i was about bang on around .7 bar. Then a last drive out and the car started hitting fuel cut. after loads of messing about i couldn't stop it hitting fuel cut so i gave up with it and refitted the Jam actuator. I changed a vacuum pipe as it looked damaged inside it. Then i took the car out and it hit fuel cut again! i realised it was in high boost which should be 1 bar on the Jam one. I then tried low boost and the car boosted great not hitting fuel cut! wooohoooo problem solved!

so the only thing i can think of is that i had maybe over tightened the bolt and nuts attaching the hole type actuator to the wastegate arm as the turbo was the wrong type for the actuator. Anyway problem is now solved and the car is going much better boosting how it should!

now i just need the arc top mount to land and then i will look into getting the emu on and map the car.

Edited by Bean

FCD??? And run more boost :D

That's a shame about the power output. Does it at least feel fast to drive?

I dont plan to use an fcd, i have an emanage ultimate i plan to fit on the car and then get it mapped so i wont need an fcd.

The car boosts much better now ive sorted the issue so im sure it must atleast be making stock power now or may slightly more as its going pretty good now.

Good to meet you on the day

yeah you too mate! all the years ive been on the forums and ive hardly met any of the members.

Edited by Bean
  • 2 weeks later...

it was mot time the other week. it failed on:

-the new drop links i fitted when i got the car as there is a quality issues with the rubber and it has perished already.

-rear brake lines corroded

-nut loose on panhard rod, i must not have tightened it up enough

-steering boot (the other side which i didnt replace)

all sorted now and it cost me less than £8 as i had all the parts already. i borrowed the brake lines from another gt i have plus the drop links, and i fitted a new civic steering boot i had in the garage which was the same.

I drained all the brake fluid and bled the system and it passed no problem.

I also got a good amount of the car under sealed with 3M schultz while i was under it.

20150427_135022_zpsgaaqhx6g.jpg

Last weekend me and the gf took a drive up to Ardrosan to pick this up.

20150426_154655_zps7gx0i7kb.jpg

I drove it back and ive drove it a few times since and i really like it. Quite practical. Ive done a few bits on it like new rear discs and pads as the old pads were seized into the carrier and the disc was wrecked, also needed an aerial, rear drop links and a good clean inside! I have some poly bushes for the rear arb too.

A mate of mine came round to have a look at it. after he left i received this from him.

IMG-20150427-WA0000_zpsvuq9uynj.jpg

lol

Edited by Bean

heres a couple of pics of the exhaust

20150504_132901_zpshd8af2cc.jpg

20150504_132913_zpstlpuzyrh.jpg

and the new hanger i had to make. this was a bit of a rush job and bending 10mm stainless rod wasn't easy.

20150504_132923_zpskrcgnk05.jpg

20150504_132958_zpsdbigtfwu.jpg

Edited by Bean
  • 3 months later...

Since the last dyno day at TD where the car made 125 bhp i have been wanting to run more boost than the .5 it was running. I did have a brand new actuator which i believed was a jam racing part. I then bought another Jam racing actuator but it was just the same and wouldnt boost past .5 - .6 with the hybrid . I changed a few things round looking for boost leaks but never got anywhere. In the end i fitted a brand new TMD adjustable actuator i had and after lots of messing about the car now boosts up to .8 bar and no hitting fuel cut. I also T'd in the factory high low boost circuit so that still works.
I also fitted an Apexi air filter as the old one was crap and didnt fit well. I also replaced 2 ht leads which i never got round to as a previous owner had cable tied them on as the clips were missing.

20150717_203536_zpslhylvgzz.jpg

The car seemed to be running and going better now.

A local dyno day a mate organsied popped up on facebook last week so i thought it would be worthwhile putting it on to see how it was going.

The car didnt want to stay in gear for the run so it had to be dyno'd by selecting second with the shifter, i dont know what people norally do when they dyno these.

the result

CCF08302015_zpswoywmlyo.jpg

Not bad i guess for an auto. Its a little rich but i have this to sort that out.

20150830_104252_zpsi9hqqqy7.jpg

Dyno vid

http://vid20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/westcoastbean/Starlet%20stuff/20150829_121623_zpsgwdepbbg.mp4

ive also got my gt4 running and its made it out the garage!

20150726_181626_zpsxo9ull8f.jpg

and my mate carl came round in his gt which made 338bhp at the dyno day.

20150816_150830_zpsb4pinf1p.jpg

IMG_20150816_161556_zpsb1iszqxu.jpg

Also fitted some mintec 1144 front pads and new adl discs. One of the sliders was a bit seized too so i had them all out and cleaned and greased them up.
These were good prices from ebay pads were £61.95 and discs were £67.88 delivered
the pads part number is MDB1251 M1144 MINTEX Brake Pad Set disc brake front
ADL blue print discs are ADT343136

Good quality parts and low prices!

IMG_20150831_104654_zpsssmrjwrk.jpg

I painted the centres with high temp paint to help stop them rusting.
20150831_132650_zpseyz4abjb.jpg

20150831_141900_zpsmeczaoqj.jpg

They were well past it!
IMG-20150831-WA0005_zpsewesgcu6.jpeg

Edited by Bean

Cheers dale it's a nice colour. Is strange there's so few grey starlets.

I don't mind the auto tbh. It does seem a little slower in the lower gears but goes well after that. Is the ct12 the tongs hybrid with td04 internals? What boost you running has it been dynoed?