Career choices..

Great wee thread this , never realized so many people were in the same boat ha :D i left school had bugger all idea what i wanted to do !! Done work in sales and stuff but wanting to find an apprenticeship build my way up within a company so i can have more pennies for jap cars :) (ssue being alot of places dont fund 20 year olds :( ) ... See what happens 2015 is my year tho :db: .. way i always have looked at it is do what ever makes ye happy in life , lifes too short to do a shitty job that ye hate . :yahoo::thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to be a joiner/carpenter but my granda retired before I could become his apprentice :(

I went to college and studied general building and did very well but the course wasn't valued by much employers.

I ended up seeing a add in the paper looking for a welding and fabrication apprentice with a local oil and gas company

I have Ben here for almost 7 years now and love it, I was always doing homers at work for my car and friends!

Now I have a lock up and a tig welder I love making anything for cars!! Made most things from rear strut braces to seat rails and full exhaust systems and would love to do it full time but the market up here wouldn't be great

I left school not having a clue what to do, went to college to do an HNC in construction(architecture and that) but wasn't for me.

Got an electrical apprenticeship with a local company served my time and became qualified and within a year I took the plunge offshore and haven't looked back.

I had no idea what I wanted to do when I was younger. Messed around in rubbish jobs for a while.

Don't hate but I'm a police officer now. Have been for 6 years nearly.

In hindsight, I should have learnt from my dad who was a mechanic...would love to work with with cars and bikes for a living.

i wanted to get into automotive design when i was going through school, couldnt find a uni in scotland that did it so applied for motorsport design engineering at UWS and didnt get in cause i failed maths so resat maths at a local college then worked at a bodyshop for a year then got into uni, still working at the bodyshop part time and when im off, just finished second year now, hopefully get a job somewhere in the motorsport design sector somewhere lol

• 2 weeks later...

One of my friends mates didn't Dan. And he ended up with company car etc travelling all over the UK. Sure he got a laptop too haha. Not sure what's all involved in it tho.

Sounds good! Id probably have to go back to college though.

Well I'm back in a garage now and love it. Nice to be doing a wide range of jobs. Owned by my friend and his family so it's really nice to help them and work together rather than a hiarachy of shit which is what I had in previous garages. Been nice to just prove myself too rather than be told what to do with endless rules and instruction.

Still doing paint work on the side lol.

Have always wanted to do something with the performance side of cars race engine building would be the dream for me but i left school went to college for a year doing mechanical engineering then got a job at a local AV distributor started as the post boy and have worked my way up to the purchasing department which I do enjoy but if I had the chance i would love to go into building engines

I was working in civil law 7 months ago but got fed up with that and fed up with ruining peoples lives for almost 4 years the amount of paperwork I had to sort out and regularly working in my own time was jus too much to cope with. I decided quit and went into sales - no more stress and much more cash :) .

best career move ever that does not require any qualifications - had to dumb down my C.V lol