After market cams ?????

id say much much the same as other here, sam@speedvision had a bad batch but i wouldnt let that put you off now.

i had one of his very first sets way back when for testing and ive recently got two sets into N.Ireland for myself and my friend (Karl.) on here and tgtt.

as for why bother, i guess its to do with the easiest way around 4efte head restrictions.

a port polish bigger valves and stock cams would probably be your best possible solution along with a td04 hyrbid for 300hp.

really just depends what you want.

cams can change things any number of ways.

less torque/more peak hp or whatever.

massive boost/solid bottom end would be the easiest route to big power. and yield the best torque to hp ratio.

for something more group B style you want some slight lairy cams and a td05, make sure you get the peak hp and the whole lag/boost arrival experience getting there! lol

Phil

To be honest with you, there's so many misconceptions about cams on forums from people's opinions the only people worth talking to about camshafts is that of those who design & manufacture the damn things.

In all honesty Toyota got it pretty much bang on with the camshaft's from factory, and someone going to spend £400+ on a set of cams is going to totally ruin it for themselves.

Edited by AdamB

Couldn't agree more Adam

Unless you know what the cams are exactly and what they do back to back against stock and can see a worth while gain you'd be better working with the stockers

Stockers are 100% reliable to which is a massive plus!

Get them tensioned right, times right and you can't go far wrong

Phil

Wouldn't bother, a lot of hassle to fit. But if you still want to go the cams route, Tighe cams will be your best bet.

Cheers pal

stock cams are good for 350bhp unless you are building a monster 400 plus I'd spend your money elsewhere

What are you after ?? What power are you

running

Tbh I like the sound of them lol

Hmm i mirror some points made, you need to properly spec them yes, but its not totally pointless. Some of the older members would know but if you were lucky enough to own / experience the 282's that burwash sold, they were animals.

Hmm i mirror some points made, you need to properly spec them yes, but its not totally pointless. Some of the older members would know but if you were lucky enough to own / experience the 282's that burwash sold, they were animals.

Yup they were ivan tighe billets.

Speedvisions are 265/268 ish and change the engine majorly also, less engine braking etc

Phil

There's certainly room for improvement with the cams, the ideal spec is 238-244 duration with 8.8-9.4mm lift.

To be honest, anyone that goes with anything more than 260 degrees (drag motor) is daft.

There's pro stock cars and top fuel dragsters running 290 degrees and their pushing 2200- 5500bhp. With more down to earth cars such as the Ford RS200 in rally trim used 256 degrees, Lancia Delta rally trim used 288 inlet and 264 exhaust.

Edited by AdamB

There's certainly room for improvement with the cams, the ideal spec is 238-244 duration with 8.8-9.4mm lift.

To be honest, anyone that goes with anything more than 260 degrees (drag motor) is daft.

There's pro stock cars and top fuel dragsters running 290 degrees and their pushing 2200- 5500bhp. With more down to earth cars such as the Ford RS200 in rally trim used 256 degrees, Lancia Delta rally trim used 288 inlet and 264 exhaust.

Agreed 288 on paper/specs is massively big for an EP, but I've not driven another cam'd starlet that was even remotely similar to how those came alive around 6k.

On the speedvision page the 265/265 8mm lift cams gained 45bhp surely that's not right?

I'm not actually sure who that was, but I know at the same boost and stock ct9 I gained 20hp and more than that torque.

Maybe running a bigger turbo and boost you may see a bigger increase who knows.

I ran 265hp at 1bar td04 with them also which is very much above the norm.

Ive a set of new speedies 265s to go in my current build so will let yous know results when I have them.

Phil

Edited by Phil