career progression for a 28 year old!

I'd always worked in retail, pubs and call centres so 2 years ago decided i'd become a web developer. Mate of mine builds websites for hilton and it seemed pretty interesting, easy enough to pick up.

I never did any computing at school but I went back to uni for 1 year to do a postgrad in IT, the course was really easy and now im just finishing my first year on a 20k starting salary.

Web development's pretty easy, theres a lot to learn but no one knows everything and you can basically google how to do most times and someone will tell you, to be honest you could learn how to build websites in your spare time pretty quickly using websites like teamtreehouse.com. Get a portfolio together building websites for friends and start applying for jobs.

Second this!

And web development is moving on, in fact, Nodejs is the new thing for server side coding. Currently php is the language used for server side scripting but this is migrating quickly over to node.

The point I'm making is that actually even an experienced web developer has to start from nothing when this happens. I was using php but I can see the benefits of node and as such it's time to pick it up and start again.

But that said there are many ways to start building websites, templating is not the way to do it. Starting from notepad and create a page from the ground. It's repetitive which makes it easy to pick up, and no need for sophisticated computer.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started work as a Junior IT technician, and worked my way up that company to basically become the IT manager and lead technician. I switched roles, gained 6 Microsoft certifications (2X MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, etc) which helped land the job i'm in now. Since being here, I've been promoted to head of telephony and systems admin. As long as you can adapt and progress yourself along the way, and know when it's right to move sideways in a company or jump ship to go up the ranks, then it'll work out. It's been hard work though, especially the studying for exams, but it's worth it.

Life is too short to sit in a dead end job or on minimum wage. If you want to change, better yourself and earn more money then only you can make it happen. You'll earn more money contracting, especially for skilled work, so if it's the money you're after, go down that route. Building, electrical work, plumbing, etc.

Edited by Arnold

cool lads thanks lots of info. i actually have an old city and guilds web design qual and do like IT/web design but my opinion was that the market is too flooded. i dont know. gotta make some desicions. at least i have a job i suppose.

I have been through so many jobs since I was 16 now 22, from factory's, log burning fire installer, 360 driver, dumper driver, mechanic , you name it I done it haha, last week I got a garage bought myself alias of tools,tyre machine ramp etc now starting servicing,repairs,tyres,tuning etc so hopefully I will be successful after spending all this money :)

On contrary mate, there are not enough DECENT developers. Most just use Dreamwaever and the like.

This, plenty of jobs in the web development world if you work hard. I got 4 interviews in 1 week when I was looking for my first job, lots of people always looking to take on juniors

I've been on poor wages for years working as a service technician for a fall arrest company. I had my last day today after 9 years as I've found myself a job in engineering as a lathe operative. It won't be as interesting but the money is good. Engineering is a great career as there are many areas to go in

On contrary mate, there are not enough DECENT developers. Most just use Dreamwaever and the like.

Fuck, really? I did a bit of freelance web design when I was 20 or so and I thought Dreamweaver was archaic back then, let alone now. I always did it the proper way, notepad++, Photoshop for assets and writing stylesheets by hand. Related side question, how's HTML5 to work with? Been thinking of doing it on the side when I start uni in September but haven't done anything related in about 5-6 years.

Fuck, really? I did a bit of freelance web design when I was 20 or so and I thought Dreamweaver was archaic back then, let alone now. I always did it the proper way, notepad++, Photoshop for assets and writing stylesheets by hand. Related side question, how's HTML5 to work with? Been thinking of doing it on the side when I start uni in September but haven't done anything related in about 5-6 years.

Aye dreamweaver is hopeless, dont know anyone that uses it professionally, sublime text is a really good alternative to notpad++. HTML5 is great, you should check out codeacademy. Its free online tutorials, really good for getting a refresher

Sublime is great, but you have to pay. For the money I'd use Webstorm as it's a fantastic utility. But for free Google have released Atom, it's really promising!

HTML is what is. It's the way to do it. If you're going into coding then you need to ditch the Windows platform and go for the Linux distributions, Windows just shits itself when it comes to web servers, topples over every five minutes. Most webservers are ran on a Linux machine as they are reliable as the earth is round

Started an electrical apprenticeship when I was 16, hated it until I qualified, now I'm 24 its opened up a lot of doors for me In the last few years. Taken me overseas and the like. I Can't knock it

• 2 months later...

Police officer

Plenty perks in that line of work !

:bad::bad::bad::bad::bad: I feel ill

On a serious note though.

Gather together your savings....if you dont have any then sell your car.

Pay for one of those 6-12 month courses to become a central heating engineer and get your gas ticket.

Good job, great pay I havent done it myself but know a few people who have and its been a success for them.

Don't entertain the mechanic thing or apprenticeships you'll get paid buttons and mechanics aren't mechanics any more we are glorified fitters. Its a dying trade and soon they will all be electricians.

Controversial maybe but if you take the head out the clouds alot of you will know its the reality of it.

Store assistant - ALdi/Tesco/Asda

Fantastic

Excellent chances of moving up the ladder

You could be chief executive if you put you time and effort (20yrs) service

Long term investment

You only live once, and you want to spend 20 years of that sitting in tesco? No thanks :lol: