fresh build bottom end gone??

im thinking its got to be the bearings so could do with clarification:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmn1WI4cQpU

history is:

built this motor fresh and havent even driven it yet.

used ACL bearings

plastigauged them -

put motor together using torque spec.

however... i had shit loads of auto gearbox problems so ive had the box on and off about 20 times, starting it each time.

like ive said above havent actually driven it yet so its just idled which i know isnt good but couldnt be helped.

cheers

Edited by turbominicooper
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds lovely "!!!

use a long screw driver and fit down sparkplug hole keep your hand on screwdriver go to tdc on each cylinder and move back and forth you can feel play if there is bearing damage !!!

just lets hope you fucked up on the auto clutch side of things but i doubt it

didnt you have problems with this being to tight on the crank a while back ????? if it was for sure bearing is ground to bits by now

worst sound ever lol

dont think ive got a screwdriver that long tbh, is it easier just to whip the sump off and have a wiggle form underneath? im pretty sure it is the bearings and yuh like you mentioned i did have that issue where they were really tight.

dont think its the auto as the car moves easily enough.

sounds very like your tappy sound could be wrong though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kQbILvqiUqw

are you thinking its not the bottom end?

saying that I haven't seen the engine management light on but thinking either way im gonna take the sump off and have a good look.

checked plugs yesterday and all were of a healthy color

is there a possible scenario here where I can just replace the bearing (if that's the problem) without having to get the crank reground etc...

no you cant refit chels if it knocks it neads regrind otherwise the will fail to

its not a light knock there thats really hard already damage is done

Yeah when the bottom end went on my Advance i managed to just wet and dry the crank with very fine (2000-3000grit sandpaper) and fit new bearings and it was fine. was only a very very slight knock though on mine.

I've since done the bottom end on my glanza twice, both times on that it was too far gone and a new set of bearings didn't save it. The way i saw it was it's £60 for a new set of bearings or £500 for another engine/rebuild. worth trying some bearings first i suppose. If it's knocking bad though i doubt you'll save it (I can't see the video on my MOD computer so cant hear it)

if it is the crank...i'd suggest you get a "used" good condition replacement, get it checked by a machine shop and completely clean your engine and oil pick up/pathways as its likely to have ground up metal in there some where which came from the spun bearings/crank.......maybe even a complete bottom end if you can

reason i say this...it will save you trouble in the long run

you have to check all clearances again too....best to be safe

just changing a bearing will not work

so ive managed to whip everything off and check mine and it does not look/sound like the problem in JDMfreak's video.

When i wiggled the conrod bearings front to back (same as video) there is no clonking noise however there is a slight wiggle from side to side but id imagine thats normal for a cold engine no?

there is also a scuffing noise coming from the auto flywheel area when i turn the engine but i doubt that would cause the severe noise coming from the sump like shown in my first video.

whats ppls thoughts re: the bottom end being gone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btUsvrLO534

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kQbILvqiUqw

I'm thinking number one rod isn't right there mate, to much wiggle, while you got the sump off I would take the rod caps off ( remember which one goes where etc,) and check the bearings and the crank check both big and main bearings as its off.

Not so long ago I built my engine, I didn't go down the acl bearing route and plasti gauge stuff, got a good crack still had it polished and used genuine Toyota bearings

Edited by patman