Bad Feedback for Will @ Race Dyno Tuning, Doncaster

Firstly I would like to say I am gutted to have to write this out, but I have offered Will a fair solution which he has chosen to ignore. I will try to keep this as short as possible.

Last Summer (2014) my Glanza was running 193WHP on a TD04 at 1.05 bar. The spec included WEPR manifold, TiAL F38, JP FMIC, Fujitsubo Power getter, Stock injectors, Stock fuel pump, Sytec FPR, EMB, GReddy Profec B, plus the usual bits.

I wanted to add some 'upgrades' for 2015 so I took the car off the road over the winter and added the following: S/S WEPR Forward facing manifold kit, TiAL MVS, Short routed FMIC (JP IC modified properly by Dean @ RWD), Apexi AVC-R, Walbro fuel pump and Denso 370cc Injectors.

After lots of research I decided to book my car in for mapping with Will @ RDT. After speaking with him over the phone, I thought he was a genuine guy who knew what he was talking about. I asked him whether to use the OEM FPR or the Sytec, he preferred the OEM so I refitted that.

After fitting a new distributor cap, rotor arm, Magnecor KV85 HT leads and HKS Iridium spark plugs I went down to RDT on 28th March. Will did the usual health check on the engine and spent the afternoon mapping it.

The car made a whopping 157WHP. I asked why it was so low, and I was told something is restricting the power. I wanted to test drive it before jumping to any conclusions, so I did.

I genuinely have no words to explain how bad the car drove but I'll try my best. It was hesitant to come on boost, it made full boost late, and the boost was spiking. It felt like the wastegate wanted to open fully at 4K RPM but it had been controlled to open slowly and to make full boost at around 5.5k RPM.

I told Will how terrible the car felt and asked for his input. Will suggested it could be the exhaust, I told him that's unlikely because others are using the same exhaust on higher powered cars. The next suggestion was that something was causing 'drag' on the hubs, either a seized calliper or wheel bearing. The disc was cold so there was no issue with the calliper. His next suggestion was the design of FMIC. Apparently the design was flawed and that was causing extra lag. Again, false info because Maddox uses the exact same FMIC at ~300bhp. Last but not lease, Will suggested the brand new Walbro could be fault (I fitted this an hour before mapping).

It drove so bad that I was completely put off the car and didn't bother driving it for the next few months (apart from Japfest but even then the whole journey was done off boost).

I had not lost my faith in Will's mapping capabilities so I changed the setup on the car and planned to go back for another map. This time I fitted a brand new WEPR Ram kit instead of the F/F, a very good condition TD035 turbo, new TiAL MVS, new fuel pump, new spark plugs, different injectors and a few other small bits. I also removed the short route FMIC, and fitted an unmodified JP FMIC.

I booked the car in for another map on 26th August. I arrived 30 minutes late and was therefore greeted very rudely by Will. I was meant to arrive at 9am but arrived at 9:30 due to traffic. Will told me I'm too late and that he has been waiting for me since 8am, he said he wasn't sure if he could map it now because he had another customer arriving at 10. I have two points to make about this. 1. Will told me to arrive for 9, not 8 (have the text as proof) 2. Had I arrived on time (9am) he could not have it complete by 10am anyway. Will's rude attitude had already ruined my mood but I thought I'd forget about it once the car was mapped and running well.

So, after a few hours of mapping Will broke the news that there was “still something wrong” with my car and he can only get 153 WHP @ 1.2 bar. As before, I reserved my judgement until I drove the car.

It was still horrible. The smaller turbo meant it drove slightly better, but the same boost issues remained. Again, I asked Will for advice. He scratched his head and tried feeding me the same bullshit about something causing drag on the hubs. I insisted that wasn't the case.

Will tried to think of other causes and eventually came to the conclusion that there is an issue with the engine; my camshafts are worn. I sh*t you not. To me, this comment summed everything up. I paid the bill and escaped from RDT as fast as I could (not very fast with that bloody map).

I had finally found the issue with my car; the mapper. This still made me lose heart with the car so I left it parked for next couple of months.

I finally decided to take it elsewhere for a map, and this time I opted for Matt @ TRD Developments in Halifax. I went down to TRL on 10th October. He drove the car and without trying to slate the previous mapper, agreed that it was hideous to drive. Matt tried to look over Will's map, but Will had locked it.

I waited around and Matt had the map complete within a few hours. I was pleasantly surprised to see a figure of 251 BHP at 1.15 bar. I didn’t want to get too excited before driving the car though.

The feeling was nothing short of ecstatic; the car drove amazingly. It makes full boost a lot sooner than it did on the old map and does not hesitate whatsoever. I am over the moon with the cars performance. I did not think it

I am just annoyed that I didn't go to Matt sooner. Had I gone to TRL back in March, I would have saved around £2k, a lot of time and stress, and best of all I would have actually been able to drive the car this year.

I am sharing this feedback as I wouldn’t wish for any other car enthusiast to be messed about this much. If you have your car mapped there without issues, good for you. This is my experience so I am free to share it.

That's shocking dude I've heard good things about this guy to but obviously your experience hasn't been good at all.. Why do tuners lock the ecu,s so you can't view the map I know td do it and obviously other people do it but what have they got to hide and why don't they want anyone to be able to view the map ???

Aha hahahahah well well well......

Not at all laughing at your circumstances mate as it's extremely shit and I feel for you but after all the apparent good feedback from those that slated work done by one other certain company, it does make one chuckle a bit

Not at all laughing at your circumstances mate as it's extremely shit and I feel for you but after all the apparent good feedback from those that slated work done by one other certain company, it does make one chuckle a bit

who works on your cars mate they must be amazing you slag off pretty much every tuning company that gets mentioned on here lol

I think it's prudent of mappers to lock their work, doesn't take a rocket scientist to go in, mess things up, and then say, "Well, so and so mapped it, and now it's fucked, must be their fault!".

My ECU was locked by Will, just recently I asked for it to be unlocked (over 12 months after he did the work), and he was accommodating. Given the problems I've had just recently with head gaskets, I never actually got around to getting it unlocked, but the option was there.

Will appears to have done a great job with my car, and that was backed up when the head was removed, a more clued up friend of mine, commented that it looked perfect. This is not to say I wouldn't explore other options down the road, but I wouldn't tell anyone to avoid him.

He mapped my car 18 months ago.

I dont think its about whether hes had 10 good customers to this 1 bad customer, Its more a case of how he dealt with it and in this case it seems it was dealt with very poorly.

Also did your new mapper never give any hint as to what may have been causing the other mapper issues in the first 2 attempts? If you never replaced a single part on the car between map 2 & 3 then im afraid it clearly point to incompetence or a fault with his mapping equipment.

I also don't get this comment? Laughing at someone's bad experience and loss of £2000 all because they don't like whatever company you do like? I didn't know tuners were paying for fanboys now.

Matt (TRL) drove the car and said "it's not right at all, but I can fix it"

He tried to read the old map and he couldn't. He deleted the map and got on with his job. Once done, he passed me the keys and promised me I would love it now, and I did.

No comments were made regarding past issues whatsoever.

Matty please take your BS elsewhere. Thank you.

everyone locks their maps so that has nought to do with it.

wonder what the issue was! mind boggling

ive had issues like this a few times - just head warpingly crap power - its incredibly annoying.

one time i never ever ever got to the bottom of it

second time it was the turbo (and it wasnt any old td04 thing either it was brand spanking - expensive and rubbish)

Phil

Edited by Phil

""""""""So, after a few hours of mapping Will broke the news that there was “still something wrong” with my car and he can only get 153 WHP @ 1.2 bar. As before, I reserved my judgement until I drove the car. """""

thats shocking i make that nr on 0.4bar on my tfo35hm

the new remap sounds great means i will get near 220//230 on my pfc fcon setup minimum

when are you on full boost now 3000/3200 ???

Why TRL?

just wondering was the car ever out of Idrees sight at TRL.

did they fix an physical/mechanic issue unbeknowns to idrees.

(exhaust blocked/knackered resonator/silencer etc)

just a wondering is all

Phil

Edited by Phil

just wondering was the car ever out of Idrees sight at TRL.

did they fix an physical/mechanic issue unbeknowns to idrees.

(exhaust blocked/knackered resonator/silencer etc)

just a wondering is all

Phil

I'm not questioning your agenda lol same as you I was just curious of your thought process.

IMO as a mechanic a garage would never rectify an issue especially in this case without informing the owner mainly due to the fact it's an opportunity not only to flaunt their own competence but also it would be chargeable for them. Even if they planned not to charge it would still look good on them to tell the customer.....Ohh we found your outstanding issue and so on.....

I think this would more likely to be something to do with RDT having either a fault with their equipment or being unable to properly measure or communicate with whichever ECU is being used, either way they should have never charged for the mapping sessions.

I was gutted when I first heard you had a bad experience at RDT, after all the previous feedback I was pretty set on going to them when I ditch my Mine's ECU.

Needless to say I won't be now, but it sounds like TRL did a great job! Glad it's all sorted!

Shame to hear but at least it's sorted now,I did try will when I was weighing up my mapping options like him and racetech seemed like they didn't have the time. Of day to speak to me so I left it with the great lads at td. I did see it ripping up at japfest2 sounded epic!

everyone locks their maps so that has nought to do with it.

wonder what the issue was! mind boggling

ive had issues like this a few times - just head warpingly crap power - its incredibly annoying.

one time i never ever ever got to the bottom of it

second time it was the turbo (and it wasnt any old td04 thing either it was brand spanking - expensive and rubbish)

Phil

why do they lock them ? Is there any good reasoning behind it I'm just curious to know what's the point behind locking it in ?

why do they lock them ? Is there any good reasoning behind it I'm just curious to know what's the point behind locking it in ?

Reason one is each mapper maps different and it's there lively hood and don't want other mappers copying them. And reason 2 to stop people messing with the map then something going wrong and trying to blame the mapper :)