Flynns hybrid Glanza v

A few people have asked about a build thread for my Glanza after things went quite with my 4age SR. So I'll try and put up a quick one now.

After piling many many months into the SR it was burning oil badly and without taking it off the road to sort the valve stem seals it was going to be useless as a daily! I won't lie I was super gutted as I was hoping for trouble free motoring after all the effort and money spent on the build and I totally lost heart in the car. It's a brilliant car and goes like a scolded rat when pushed but I needed a working car. Long and the short, parked up the SR and went on the hunt for a cheap ish Glanza as a........wait for it "daily" lol

After a short hunt about I found a silver V that nearly ticked all the boxes (had a sunroof but more on that later) and was on the south coast. He is a member on here and we struck up a deal for him to bring it down to the port and me and a mate who works for Toyota would catch the ferry over and hopefully return with a Glanza!

Dean had driven down with his dad and we had a quick chat and look over the car. I wasn't keen on the Rota's the car was on so after agreeing some money off we swapped on the wheels me and Toby had carried over on the ferry and headed back to the Island.

DE13B0A7-221B-4704-8F06-BF373F6554B3_zps

The car didn't have a brilliant spec but had recently had new pistons etc and wasn't running much boost so I was hoping to just drive it.

Spec:

Ct9

Front mount

HKS fuel cut device

K&N air filter

I wanted to swap some bits over from the SR and I had some carbon wing mirrors so over they went

663C4640-26CB-41FB-9956-8AC1EE620CAC_zps

I was enjoying the car and got about a month before the gear selector cable snapped, luckily it literally happend 10 yards away from my mums place so I was able to sort that one without much trouble sourcing one on here!

Car was back for a week and the clutch went on my way to work, I managed to get a tow with one of our trucks and parked it up in the barn. The car had a slight crunch into second when it was cold so Dean had included another box in the sale. I'd given that a good clean up and paint so after plucking up the guts to give replacing the clutch a go I thought the box could get swapped while I was at it.

1F68ADB2-827B-4A99-90DD-12F1F614CD5D_zps

ACE5F382-E15A-4435-968E-43C32E9796AF_zps

The job of stripping everything out and getting the old box off went pretty well considering Id never done it before and I was on my own but fitting the clutch and getting the new box on were freaking me out a bit so I sos'd a mate who knows these little cars inside out and believe it or not he was collecting a forged engine that day and was changing to a different LSD. Soooooooo did I want a cusco flywheel, OEM LSD box and uprated clutch? Of corse I did.

B1ECBC66-D72A-482E-AE31-C4DCA62B1B64_zps

James was a massive help on this build both with parts and knowledge.

With the weather getting shit I wanted to get a bonnet blank so when a carbon fibre Jam style one popped up I grabbed it. Also found a Leguna splitter and after a bit of cutting got that on the car too.

0622DAC9-D707-41D9-9461-1BE7E373B41D_zps

The car had been starting to smoke a little on idle and use a bit of oil so I decided to replace the turbo, James had a reconditioned Tongs hybrid recently done at Midland turbo and a Jam racing ECU for sale so i started getting the rest of the kit together.

F2AF8753-8A6F-4D13-A100-22B91DFCCEE0_zps

While I was at it I fitted a civic rad, green hose kit and race spec rocker. I've had a RJ catch can sat here for ages so that was also added with green HT leads (massive props to daniel g for parting with them!) I haven't got any before pics of the bay because I hated it but here's a more recent one.

97D0219F-2F70-4D39-B0F2-1069D9998F3A_zps

8B126DFB-01FA-48BC-8F31-1A16B3CF7215_zps

Went for a Zisco compact manifold that ironically had been on James's car, he then sold to another guy who blew his engine and then he offered it to me!

A1F12783-67EA-4EEF-A466-064720545EE4_zps

The cars currently running low boost as I've not got a massively accurate boost gauge installed but should have a cool update interior wise in the next week that will have that sorted!

E12DB4A0-CCF6-45B4-9E22-A75237CC47F7_zps

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a genuine Livesports spoiler sprayed up for the SR at a fair it of expense so I decided to give it a go on the v along with the skirts (jury is still out on the skirts though) it almost flows with the darker splitter at the bottom and I've got a carbon rear lip to go on soon.

7098F71B-E14E-4BE2-8CB4-75860ECE090D_zps

6E2FAA03-1DC7-4085-9AE6-019D497C6E85_zps

The mrs got me a genuine carbon rear number plate surround for Christmas, was I bit of a mission to fit and I'm not totally happy with the fitment or the state of the car lol

437EEA69-91FB-4DA2-BE5C-F5E8D7D2F6F9_zps

40EB0A45-AA9E-41D8-BAA6-B66CC6808053_zps

Plans for the car in the near future are adapting my cusco cage to fit as it's a non sunroof variant and will require some chopping and welding along with various strut braces and floor bars.

43A20BC5-B5EF-4CE9-B53A-D087703D8E01_zps

I'm currently working on some cruise wings that are going to get wrapped in the next week or so and a pair of Buddyclub P1's are in for rubber!

Thanks for the comments lads........yea I've gone a little overboard with the bracing but it was pretty much my favorite bit of the SR and looks awsome with the seats and harnesses in :)

No under car bracing yet, cusco panhard and front underbrace to go on but I know that's just gonna get beaten to death!

4EED640A-D23F-412D-A8FE-64472B652872_zps

I think this ones already taken over to be honest 😉

scoobysvx I'm jealous of every single aspect of your car but if you're digging the carbon there's more to come! Got the number plate surround off a guy on eBay who's making them, you can get them with or without the light recesses cut out.

Not much of an update but cleaned the car today and will crack on fitting a couple of bits tomorrow.

Picked a spare set of ST185 disks, they're black ceramic coated and look almost too good to use. All machined and re drilled so when I swap the brakes over from the SR I'll probably chuck these on. Also managed to get another bit of genuine carbon, probably payed a bit much but I've already got the centre console plastic in carbon fibre and missed one a while back. Will be changing my dash bulbs shortly so will fit this then.

484794CF-2B61-41F0-B471-2487E8BBAF9C_zps

Cheers jimmymac101 lol that car became more than just a build in the end and was something I had to finish. I have always wanted a boosted 91 so the way I see it, the car stayed on the forum rather than getting pulled to bits and now I've got this Glanza build on the go all the after market bits can go on there and the SR can go on to another member who can enjoy taking it in their own direction. Fixing the cat D damage on the car cost a small fortune and I'm gonna lose a shit load selling the car but I can't keep 2 toys on the road. The SR is in the process of being returned to OEM spec, will be on Glanza suspension, Glanza brakes, HKS silent power exhaust and a minty set of speedlines. The cars in amazing condition over all and obviously has the 1.6 20 valve lump! Yeah Off the road now as MOT was up last week.

Anyways back to the V..........decided to fit the carbon binnacle surround and green dash lights, complete ball ache doing the bulbs as expected but well pleased with the result. Ended up having to retrofit the ones in the heater controls but nothing's burst into flames or shorted out yet!

Pivot tachometer and blitz carbon face boost gauge test fitted.......these also light up green along with oil temp/pressure gauges in my carbon pilar pod!

62DC32AB-BF7E-40D7-8BDA-9E3FC9E2B038_zps

220842DD-C98B-4C14-AD2D-02D8241BED69_zps

D454687D-C85D-4045-96B2-DEA6D00A549F_zps

957D669B-6C31-4A41-8933-9A8BCC87FB0C_zps

I don't blame you for losing heart with it mate. I'd have it but mine is mint so I don't want to sell it and yours it too good for me to rob all nice bits off. Hopefully it goes to an sr lover on here mate.

The interior on the glanza is looking lovely, just lifts it and is pretty different. You've defiantly got a thing for green!

Cheers Pikey009 I'm hoping she goes to a good home too! I have a lot of love for that little SR and it's amazing fun to drive, I just wanted boost! One of my mates over here is interested in taking it on which would be cool because I'd still get to see it about! He's also been into starlets for ages and built an amazing Glanza a couple of years back so he's a good candidate! You know him well Pinkygti 😉

Not gonna lie mate, I am partial to a spot of green!

Pretty sure I've got a Glanza carpet mate, I'm gonna re trim the v so I'll see if I can hook it out!